Re: [microhydro] Re: crossflow turbine diameter and rpm

  • Allhydro
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 24, 2012
      Dear Essam;
      We are all trying to help but you must allow us to. It is just like the guys have been telling you.
      The ratio head/discharge is too low so that a crossflow turbine might find application here. We've been turbine manufacturers for over 40 years and we manufacture all the regular man know type of turbines. Just take a quick look to our application chart and see that the intersection of H and Q belongs to the field of Kaplan. Http://reca-corp.com/Our_Technology.html
      That is exactly the advantage of Kaplan turbines, it's able to adjust its blades after the flow changes to keep the efficiency as high as possible. Kaplan is a special kind of propeller turbine.
      Crossflow turbine is not suitable to be used with vertical shaft for three reasons: 1) Constructive, as its bearings are not designed to support the shat in that position; 2) because you have pressurized water exiting an encased duct the first time the jet hits the runners blades but after that the jet is practically lack of energy crossing the core gap of the runner to hit it for the second time before exiting it and that jet is unable to keep the needed shape if you rotate the shaft; 3) the crossflow turbine is a "transition turbine" as the first stage it works like an impulse turbine and during the second one like a kind of suction as reaction turbines use to do and placing it vertically will require two turns after water exits the runner disabling it to evacuate water in time.
      As I've told you before, the guys are trying to help so let them do it.
      Regards;
      Angel

      Enviado desde mi iPhone

      El Dec 22, 2012, a las 1:45 PM, "ESSAM ALI" <essam_ari@...> escribió:

      >> to all those who say a propeller or kaplan turbine :
      the flow is not constant it varries from 63 m3/s to 21 m3/s. varries each month. and a propeller turbine needs constant flow as its efficiency greatly varries with change in flow. on the other hand a crossflow has flat efficiency curve under varrying flow.

      >> nando
      u r right nando. first i was thinking about an undershot water wheel. but it will produce little power and very low rpm.

      guys ! i have another idea. use crossflow turbine as vertical(not horizontal). sounds strange. but that was my final year project magnetic levitation vertical axis wind turbine. or regenedyne turbine.

      i hve the site photos and make some drawing of system.
      i can mail to those who can help. kindly help if u can bcoz our country is suffering from electricity shortage especially in my province, punjab, it has total of 9 heads and barrages, if i can produce it on one head, it means that a total of 300+ MW can be generated.

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 27, 2012
      ESSAM:

      Microhydro NOW allows attachments to be included with the message and small Thumb shows the attachment for downloading.

      Advice : Do tell the members that an attachment is included.

      One major problem is that everyone is not aware of how the dam or the sluice gates is built to see how a turbine can be built and make use of the available energy.

      I have attached 2 pdfs for you to peruse for possible use

      >> to all those who say a propeller or kaplan turbine :
      the flow is not constant it varries from 63 m3/s to 21 m3/s. varries each month. and a propeller turbine needs constant flow as its efficiency greatly varries with change in flow. on the other hand a crossflow has flat efficiency curve under varrying flow.

      >> nando
      u r right nando. first i was thinking about an undershot water wheel. but it will produce little power and very low rpm.

      guys ! i have another idea. use crossflow turbine as vertical(not horizontal). sounds strange. but that was my final year project magnetic levitation vertical axis wind turbine. or regenedyne turbine.

      i hve the site photos and make some drawing of system.
      i can mail to those who can help. kindly help if u can bcoz our country is suffering from electricity shortage especially in my province, punjab, it has total of 9 heads and barrages, if i can produce it on one head, it means that a total of 300+ MW can be generated.

    • ESSAM ALI
      Message 3 of 22 , Jan 3, 2013
        thx alot nando for ur help. i want to plz have a look at this :

        http://www.bew-power.at/bewhp/index.php/en/lamella-turbine-en#application

        http://www.google.com/search?q=The+Lamella+Turbine&hl=en&tbo=u&biw=1311&bih=623&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VkzlUOKgNoGG4ATEpYC4DA&ved=0CEAQsAQ

        now my question is that can it produce higher power ? upto 300-500 KW ? what shuold be the size for that ?

        can u plz calculate the power at my site ?

        H = 5.5 m .

        Q = 11 m^3/sec .

        area under the sluice gate is : 5 feet height and 8 feet wide. i hve also attached fotos of site plz check:

        Message 4 of 22 , Jan 3, 2013
          ESSAM:

          The Lamella turbine is a new version of the undershot turbine where there is two blades ( one almost above the first one to harvest additional power).

          To calculate the available power a lot of information is required , also information to the special shape this turbine will have to harvest the maximum power.

          The Dual blade principle and energy capture of the wheel I can not determine since it is going to be specific to the site where the water source is.

          Assuming a 1.5 meter diameter wheel then the head would be 5.5 -1.5/2 = 4.75 meter

          Estimated GROSS power =  4.75 m * 11 m^3 * 9,81 = 512.57 kw  but since I do not know the efficiency of the overall turbine my guess would be around 70 %  = 359 KW    A VERY ROUGH WILD ESTIMATED.

          It  would better to talk to the LAMELLA Manufacturers for them to determine  what power can be harvested since they are the brains that set up the turbine form and capture efficiency.

          Good Luck and let us know how the project develops .

          thx alot nando for ur help. i want to plz have a look at this :

          http://www.bew-power.at/bewhp/index.php/en/lamella-turbine-en#application

          http://www.google.com/search?q=The+Lamella+Turbine&hl=en&tbo=u&biw=1311&bih=623&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VkzlUOKgNoGG4ATEpYC4DA&ved=0CEAQsAQ

          now my question is that can it produce higher power ? upto 300-500 KW ? what shuold be the size for that ?

          can u plz calculate the power at my site ?

          H = 5.5 m .

          Q = 11 m^3/sec .

          area under the sluice gate is : 5 feet height and 8 feet wide. i hve also attached fotos of site plz check:

          --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, "Nando" wrote:

          > ESSAM:
          >
          > Microhydro NOW allows attachments to be included with the message and small Thumb shows the attachment for downloading.
          >
          > Advice : Do tell the members that an attachment is included.
          >
          > One major problem is that everyone is not aware of how the dam or the sluice gates is built to see how a turbine can be built and make use of the available energy.
          >
          > I have attached 2 pdfs for you to peruse for possible use
          >
          > Nando

        • essam ali arif

          Message 6 of 22 , Jan 3, 2013
            data from bew power website:

            PROJECT IN ROMANIA: under construction:
            Head: 2,2 m Water Flow: 20 m3/s Hydraulic / electric Power: 432/300 kW Turbine dimension: 2 turbine wheels, Ø 2,3 m, width 5 m, coupled to drive one generator Speed: approx. 30 min-1

            In my case,
            H = 5.5 m
            Q = 11 m3/s
                                ==> As, head increases and flow decreases, this would result in a turbine of reduced size and greater rpm .

            thx alot nando for ur help. i want to plz have a look at this :

            http://www.bew-power.at/bewhp/index.php/en/lamella-turbine-en#application

            http://www.google.com/search?q=The+Lamella+Turbine&hl=en&tbo=u&biw=1311&bih=623&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VkzlUOKgNoGG4ATEpYC4DA&ved=0CEAQsAQ

            now my question is that can it produce higher power ? upto 300-500 KW ? what shuold be the size for that ?

            can u plz calculate the power at my site ?

            H = 5.5 m .

            Q = 11 m^3/sec .

            area under the sluice gate is : 5 feet height and 8 feet wide. i hve also attached fotos of site plz check:

            --- In mailto:microhydro%40yahoogroups.com, "Nando" wrote:

            > ESSAM:
            >
            > Microhydro NOW allows attachments to be included with the message and small Thumb shows the attachment for downloading.
            >
            > Advice : Do tell the members that an attachment is included.
            >
            > One major problem is that everyone is not aware of how the dam or the sluice gates is built to see how a turbine can be built and make use of the available energy.
            >
            > I have attached 2 pdfs for you to peruse for possible use
            >
            > Nando

          • Nirmal Raj Joshi

              --
              Nirmal Raj Joshi
              www.nirmaljoshi.com.np
              Message 8 of 22 , Jan 4, 2013
                the photos are not available plz check it on their website below:

                http://www.bew-power.at/bewhp/index.php/en/plannedprojects

                but also see this current project of theirs, u can have an idea then:

                http://www.bew-power.at/gallery/index.php/Feldkichen