re: [microhydro] Re: Moulin De Aillevans, France

  • Tony Goffe
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 24, 2012
      Hi, Tony, this tony in Jamaica, .....that installation series was great ..only wish each photo had a short description..

      One thing : "JPG 08-11-2012 F"  is a shot of the prop going in. On the polished blades may be seen a "scroll-type" pattern (made with a power toll of sorts ?)  Does this have any practical function, or is it the efforts of some aspiring artist somewhere ??

      Thanks, tony goffe   "FELIZ NAVIDAD" TO ALL THE GROUPIES ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 24, 2012
        Thank you for your advice Radu.

        The ABB inverter really is 00-77-0400-390-5. It is a new ABB model that was developed for wind turbines. Wind turbines have a much faster response than hydro turbines, hence the Profibus interface and not the Modbus interface. Profibus is a very fast interface with a deterministic response time. A Modbus interface is not available for the new ABB wind turbine inverter.

        The PLC I have been looking at runs Windows CE.NET 5.0.
        ( http://www.latin-tech.net/Winceplcs(e).htm )

        I was hoping that Windows CE is less prone to freezing than regular Windows. The PLC comes with a watchdog circuit that resets the PLC if it freezes.

        The advantage of a Windows based PLC is that I do not need to purchase PLC specific software ( e.g. http://www.isagraf.com/index.htm )

        I could use standard software tools via Microsoft Visual Studio.

        I could also use standard memory cards and standard Ethernet communications.

        Tony M.

        --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, "Radu Babau" <rbabau@...> wrote:

        > Hello Tony,
        >

        > The indicated code of the ABB drive looks a bit strange to me, I guess it can either be ACS800-17-0390-3 (315 kW, 400 V) or ACS800-17-0400-5 (315 kW, 500 V). Pls. note that the ACS800 family has a Modbus interface (option module) called RMBA-01, which you can buy with ~200 EUR, to be plugged near or instead the existing Profibus RPBA-01 module.
        >
        > On the PLC, I would not use a Windows based PLC, because this operating system can jeopardize the stability of you application (source of program freeze). There are other non-PC based PLC's on the market which comes with similar development tools, to be accompanies with other SCADA application running on external TouchPanel, etc. (Windows or not Windows based - in this later case if Windows crashes, you reboot only the screen, not stop the turbine). Basically the bottom control layer (PLC gadgets) has to be as process direct as possible, with a minimal no. potential crash sources possible, while the upper control layer (SCADA+ communications - inherently complex) can crash more often, but won't disrupt the functionality of the bottom control layer.
        >

        > Happy Christmas !
        >
        > Radu
        > www.varspeedhydro.com

      • tojoe999
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 24, 2012
          Tony,

          Perhaps I can add a few captions to the photographs over the Christmas period.

          The scroll patterns on the stainless steel runner are vestiges of the manufacturing process. I suspect that a worn polishing pad was used.

          More photographs when the installation is complete.

          The main bearing (hydrodynamic) and the directly coupled Permanent Magnet Generator (PMG) have yet to be mounted.

          Tony M.