Re: 300 WATTS -- SMALL HYDROELECTRIC TURGO TURBINE - 120 Vac 60 HZ

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
      MOTENERGY owner has been so kind to send to me the parameters of the 300
      watts -- small hydro electric TURGO TURBINE he has selling in EBay.

      I have done the basic analysis and the capabilities of the little Turgo
      unit

      This is what I have calculated:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      The 300 watts turbine with a PCD= 8 cm = 80 mm = 0.08 meters to produce 60
      HZ which represents 1800 RPM ( PMA is a 4 pole generator)

      20 MM - 2.0 CM = 0.02 ME = Maximum diameter of the Spear Nozzle.

      1800 rpm/ 60 sec = 30 RPS

      RPS * Pi * PCD = 0.48 * sqrt[ ( 2 * 9.81 * Head(meters) ) ]

      To make the calculations simple Head = [(30 rps* 3.14 * 0.08 meters )
      /0.48 ]^2 / (2 * 9.81) = 12.57 meters

      So the small turbine needs a head of 12.57 meters to produce 60 HZ

      To produce 300 watts with the 12.57 meter head

      H2Ovel= sqrt ( 2 * 9.81 * 12.57 ) = 15.70 m/s = 1570 cms/sec

      Power = head * vol * 9,81 * efficiency , we can assume an overall value of
      6 = 9.81 * efficiency to obtain a needed volume
      300 watts = 12.57 * vol * 6 ; Volume = 300/( 12.57 * 6 ) = 3.977 l/s = 4
      liter/sec

      There is the possibility that the overall efficiency is greater so let's
      assume that 9.81 * efficiency = 7; so to obtain 300 watts the volume will
      be "

      Vol = 300 /( 12.57 * 7 ) = 3.41 l/s are required to harvest 300 watts.

      Maximum available water flow at 12.57 meter head =

      1570 * PI * ( 2/2)^2 = 4.93 l/s

      so if the site is 12,6 meter head with 4 l/s the output will be 300 watts
      @ 60 HZ , We may assume that at this moment the controller starts to load
      the generator to keep it at 120 Volts and 60 HZ

      Therefore 120/1800= 0.07 volt/revolution of the PMA

      To produce let's say 58 volts the RPM will be 58/0.07 = 828 RPM producing
      58 volts AC , to avoid over heating the current should be limited to
      828/1800 = 0.46 of 300 watts or = 138 watts

      Of course there are other tricks to produce different power like to use
      transformers to convert to different voltages as needed insuring that the
      power generated is not more than 300 watts if the RPM are above around 1600
      or so

      At 300 watts production the current would be 2.5 amps producing 120 volts --
      so we can do an analysis to see what type of power can be delivered at
      different heads and maximum water flow remembering that the flow maximum
      depends on the head and an example if the site has let;s say 25 meter head
      the maximum flow would be

      H2Ovel= sqrt ( 2 * 9.81 * 25 ) = 22.15 m/s= 2215 cms water velocity
      Volume = H2Ovel * 3.14 * 0.5*Nozzle-dia^2 = 2215 * 3.14 * 1 = 6.96 l/s --
      wrong use of this little turgo because with 25 meter head and 7 l/s the
      power available would be around 1 kw .

      So the unit is geared toward less than 300 watts with the premises that the
      head is around 13 meters as a maximum with a water volume in areas of
      around 3.5 liters with the possibility of using around 4 l/s with less head
      and remembering that the water volume used is dependent in this case on the
      20 mm maximum diameter of the spear valve and the head of the water source
      that produces the water velocity to generate a maximum water flow.