Re: [microhydro] Re: how many capacity i need to have for 20 houses

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
      Manfred:

      Heck, When I wrote about the 8 footed lamps I did not re-adjust my brain to just say FL= Fluorescent Lamps, instead of the CFL= Compact Fluorescent Lamps I was referring initially.

      Remembering those times trying to make 18 kHz electronic ballasts with SCRs = Silicon Controlled Rectifiers which was a pain , virtually, to make them to switch off at high rate,and it was reported that the industry was not ready to accept the high cost of those ballasts when compared to the simple magnetic ballast available then; it was a waste of time and effort, as what General Electric discovered as well,

      The initial heating of the CFLs for fast Light stability levels is done by increasing the power level for a short time ( indirectly the heating filaments) -- though, still the time needed to put maximum light level is somewhat too long.

      Some ballast had or have a separated circuitry for lamp filament preheating , I have some large FLs electronic ballasts that I acquired just to see how the technology has advanced that now include PFC= Power Factor Correction and Variable input Voltage ranges to avoid the logistic of having several types, then the availability of new types of CFLs and FLs of high intensity and life with light output levels to replace high Mercury-Resistive lamps with several times the light output and with a dramatic reduction in power usage plus longer lamp life.