for your information

  • Wim Klunne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000

    • wim.klunne@microhydropower.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2002
        Attn: Persons Interested in Subject;

        I have been asked by a family in New Zealand to publish in the US, subject book,
        "Practical Water Power". The books author had over 35 years
        developing the subject. His practical experience was written such that any
        person interested in harnessing available water as an energy source could
        determine the energy (power) available, methods for harnessing, controlling,
        types of machines to use this energy, also how to build all the different parts
        of the required system, (dams, flumes, pipes, even the wheels, turbines, etc.).

        All of the above is presented in simple, practical language, including
        calculations and required tables.

        I am advising you of the availability of this publication, which can be used as
        a complete reference and guidence manual for you, students and those potential
        customers of a system that they plan to install.
        Following is one (1) page from the book, so you can see the type of
        presentation. The book cost is $15.00 each, US funds including regular US mail
        shipping in the US and Canada.

        Arthur C. Goldsmith
        1899 Berry Road
        LaFayette, NY 13084
        Phone: (315) 683-5310

        Chapter 1 The Basis of Water Power

        The power that can be derived from water depends on three
        things; the amount of fall (generally called head); the volume of water
        flowing; the efficiency of the water motor.

        The first can be measured quite precisely if required. The
        second can be measured fairly accurately in some circumstances. The third can
        only be estimated until such time as the machine is tested should that ever take
        place.

        However before proceeding further let us define power and say
        something about the units used to measure it.

        Power is the rate of doing work and it is generally measured
        in foot-pounds per second or kilogram meters per second and for
        convenience this is usually translated into horse power or
        kilowatts.

        Scientists talk about joules and kilojoules and megajoules and
        though these units may be well suited to those frequently using them, they are
        not quantities which are easy to visualize like horse power and kilowatts which
        more readily relate to everyday life.

        We will therefore confine our attention to horse power for
        mechanical power and kilowatts for electrical power. I know there is a move to
        quote all power in kilowatts and I find it most confusing and refuse to use it
        for the reason that one kilowatt of mechanical power will not produce one
        kilowatt of electrical power.
        `
        In Imperial measure one horse power is defined as the amount
        of power given out when a weight of 550 pounds falls one foot in one second or
        that which it is necessary to supply to lift 550 pounds one foot in one second
        or any combination of pounds and feet which will multiply out to 550.

        The metric equivalent is 75 kilogram meters per second and
        though the two are not exactly equal, the difference is so small as to be of no
        importance.

        Theoretically one horse power equals 746 watts or near
        enough to three quarters of a kilowatt. Conversely one kilowatt equals about
        one and a third horse power.