Earth rotation

  • Bösmöllan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      Dear group,
      Most vertically axled turbines at the northern hemisphere are intentionally
      made rotating clockwise due to the earth rotation. Have you any knowledge if
      this really has any greater importance? At least, the influence should be
      smaller the closer to the equator you come and of course, at the southern
      hemisphere, the conditions would be opposite. Maybe this is strictly an
      academical question. There is a name for this effect but I don´t recall it
      for the moment.

      Best wishes and mfG from Åke Stridh
    • Bösmöllan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2000
        Dear group,
        A special Thank you to Max Enfield and Martin Leahy for your very good
        answers to the topic of the possible influence of earth rotation on the
        choice of direction for the revolution of vertically axled water turbines.
        Maybe is the clockwise rotation chosen here on the northern hemisphere only
        to be on the safe side or...?
        Wellknown to many is the fact that when you pull the bottom plug in the sink
        the outgoing water in most cases swings clockwise and this fact could very
        well affect the choice. On the other hand, are the southern turbines really
        running anticlockwise? This is a jeopardy question I should be glad to get
        an answer to!

        Best wishes and mfG from Åke S.
      • microhydro@dplus.net
        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2000
          Hello Ake -
          Yes you did get some great answeres! Years ago I asked the same
          question of Ignacy Czewicki - a retired (75 year old) turbine design
          engineer for Voith Allis ( then Allis Chalmers - York Pa. - USA.)
          Ignacy is one of the best. He trained under Zowski in Poland
          before the war. Zowski designed the Leffel "Z" and the Smith "S"
          turbines - He is famose amongst the crazys that care.
          Anyway Ignacy looked at me like I was an Idiot and said this
          effect made no difference to turbines.
          Hey - it is an interesting question
          Best Regards - Ron

          --- In microhydro@egroups.com, Bösmöllan <ake.stridh@b...>