Re:turbolina hydro turbine question

  • Clint LeRoy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      My information Google search on the Turbolina Pump can be found at this
      website: http://www.turbolina.com/eng/technologie.html

      My knowledge tells me using a working fluid at lower temperatures will only
      produce an efficiency of conversion near 5% of the total available energy
      potential using this equation.

      Note: if you could adjust the vanes of the turbine you could aid in
      producing more energy.

      Clint LeRoy
      Sustainable Energy is the Future

    • don
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
        Thanks Tommy;

        This was found at the same site as your link, at http://www51.honeywell.com/sm/genetron/news-events/news-release-details/28-oct-2009-honeywell-refrigerant-helps-homeowners.html?c=41

        "Honeywell Refrigerant Helps Homeowners Convert the Sun's Heat into Power

        Organic rankine cycle using Honeywell's 245fa refrigerant turns heat from solar panels into electricity.

        MORRIS TOWNSHIP, N.J., Oct. 28, 2009 – Honeywell (NYSE: HON) announced today that its Genetron® R-245fa refrigerant is being used to help homeowners generate electricity from the sun's heat while offsetting energy costs.

        Honeywell's energy-efficient refrigerant is being used in an organic rankine cycle (ORC) called the 35Z Micro Power Plant, manufactured by Germany-based Turbolina GmbH & Co. KG. The 35Z Micro Power Plant has a unique design that uses water heated by thermal solar panels to evaporate the refrigerant, which in turn drives a turbine to generate electricity. Because no fuel is burned to create the electricity, the unit does not produce any carbon dioxide emissions. The remaining heat from the 35Z can be used to supply heating and hot water.

        "When we began designing the 35Z, we knew we needed a reliable, low-temperature working fluid, and Honeywell's R-245fa refrigerant was the perfect choice," said Hermann Helmbold, General Manager of Turbolina. "The 35Z is a source of energy that helps homeowners both reduce their carbon emissions and become independent from traditional sources of energy."

        R-245fa is non-flammable, non-ozone-depleting and has low toxicity. The heat transfer properties of Honeywell's R-245fa, including its low boiling point of 59.5 F (15.3 C), makes it ideal for use in ORC systems that use low-temperature heat and waste heat to generate electricity.

        "This unique application is a great example of how Honeywell technologies are helping homeowners become more energy-efficient," said David Diggs, global business director for Honeywell Fluorine Products.

        The 35Z offers an electrical power output of 3.5kW, which is ideally suited to the needs of homeowners. Turbolina specializes in the development, production and sale of ORC systems that convert low temperature heat into electricity. The company offers ORC technology in sizes up to 500KW to meet the needs of differing heat recovery opportunities.

        Honeywell is a recognized, leading innovator in advanced energy-efficiency refrigerants for heating, ventilation and air conditioning, as well as other heat transfer fluid applications. Honeywell has consistently helped manufacturers replace ozone-depleting substances and has ongoing research and development efforts to develop environmentally superior solutions for customers around the world.

        For more information, visit www.genetron.com.

        Honeywell Specialty Materials is a global leader in providing customers with high-performance specialty materials, including fluorine products; specialty films and additives; advanced fibers and composites; intermediates; specialty chemicals; electronic materials and chemicals; and technologies and materials for petroleum refining.

        Honeywell International (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; automotive products; turbochargers; and specialty materials. Based in Morris Township, N.J., Honeywell's shares are traded on the New York, London, and Chicago Stock Exchanges. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.

        This release contains certain statements that may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, that address activities, events or developments that we or our management intends, expects, projects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based upon certain assumptions and assessments made by our management in light of their experience and their perception of historical trends, current economic and industry conditions, expected future developments and other factors they believe to be appropriate. The forward-looking statements included in this release are also subject to a number of material risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to economic, competitive, governmental, and technological factors affecting our operations, markets, products, services and prices. Such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results, developments and business decisions may differ from those envisaged by such forward-looking statements.

        Media Contact:
        Nina Krauss
        973-455-4253
        nina.krauss@... "

        --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, tommygator@... wrote:

        > Hi
        >

        > This system works with a closed loop by expansion and contraction of gas (Genetron® R-245fa I believe).
        > It solar heated water heats the loop to expand the gas, run the turbine and then upon cooling circulates the loop to continue in a closed cycle.
        > it is Rankine cycle system, but refrigerant instead of steam.
        > Very old technology for sure, rankine cycle technology turbines have been used for years this way. The only thing that makes it work is this refrigerant that boils around 15degC (60degF)
        >

        > Imagine that it is a Heat Pump, like used in HVAC instead it produces power and the sun is the heat source.
        > You can also use the heat that is removed at the cooling part of the loop to extract heat for heating (water tank or space)
        > You can use the heat to drive the heat cycle in a chiller/AC system also (like the hot side of a heat pump)
        >

        > Ciao
        > Tom
        >

        > info on the Genetron fluid http://www51.honeywell.com/sm/genetron/

      • nugroho
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          Thank you Tom, Clint and Don

          Before, I think that turbolina is a hydro turbine lol. But now
          I found it wrong. So it is a rankine cycle turbine. Indeed it is suitable for household
          application because of low enthalpy thing. Low enthalpy means low temperature,
          low pressure and low volume.  Then, it
          requires little pump work. However, I don’t know the properties of refrigerant
          245fa, assume it about the same as common refrigerant.  I would prefer this things better than
          ordinary PV. We can use R-245fa as thermal energy storage yet produce
          electricity. However I don’t know the efficiency of overall system.