Re: A turbine on every lot

  • Manfred Mornhinweg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
      Kitsilano,

      your idea of a 4x4 with paddles at the wheels (that's what you want to
      do?) touching a stream, having a generator in place of the engine, would
      in principle work, but would be awfully inefficient. I could conceive
      such a contraption as a weird turist attraction on a campsite, or
      perhaps as a piece of equally weird modern art, but certainly not as a
      good way to harvest hydro power.

      The problem is basically this: On one hand, four car wheels, with
      paddles of the size that can rotate with with the wheels attached to a
      car, will only generate a very small power. How much depends heavily on
      the flow velocity of the water, but you should think more about 100
      watts or so, than about kilowatts. And on the other hand, the drivetrain
      of a car is designed for a typical power of about 30 to 40 kilowatts,
      and a peak power often exceeding 100 kilowatts! So the gears are quite
      large and heavy, and the losses large. When operating at 40 kilowatts,
      the losses will be small enough to be very acceptable, but when
      operating at very low power, the losses will be just too high.

      Add to this the fact that car gears are designed to work optimally to
      transfer engine power to the wheels. They are NOT symmetrical, and when
      operating in reverse, as they would in your contraption, the losses will
      be higher. For engine-braking a car, that's actually desirable, but for
      driving a turbine, it's not!

      So, I second the recommendation of our fellow list members: Sell that
      4x4 car, and buy or build a proper turbine, well adapted to that stream!
      Unless of course you aim is building something weird and unusual, rather
      than building something useful.

      Manfred.

      ========================
      Visit my hobby homepage!
      http://ludens.cl
      ========================
    • Chief Kitsilano sterritt
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
        A fun idea but not a good one.

        The outcome would be wrecks on the river bed too, but the Alternator and
        some of the gear could
        be cannibalized to create a bit of power. I think my experiment was to get
        the maiximum from the wrecks all over the planet, so it is a plus to revive
        these hulks ;

        other barriers are grease and heavy oils in the rear ends;

        The car frame can be used to anchor some kind of set up but this is never
        going to be an elegant project.

        Thanks for your time and comments.

        --
        V>^^<V

      • Dr. Fombong
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
          I hope you have given up now.Most of your readers had told you that the concept was unscientific: I mean "unreasonable".

          Dr. Matt F. FOMBONG [DEng, PhD]
          Executive Director
          Rural World Resources International
          P O Box 522