wood

  • salceanucristian
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 12:37 AM
      Can anyone tell me, please, which type of wood is best for use under water? Someone posted it but i can't find it.
      TY
    • salceanucristian
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 5:58 AM
        --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, "salceanucristian" <bandini4u@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me, please, which type of wood is best for use under water? Someone posted it but i can't find it.
        > TY

        PS: any ballbearings that work in water? i can't find any on the local market
        Thx again
      • Bill Kerr
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 5:59 AM
          lignum vitae wood would be very good.

          :-)

          Bill

          <'{{{>< W G Kerr
          S c o t l a n d

          On 1 April 2010 08:37, salceanucristian <bandini4u@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me, please, which type of wood is best for use under water?
          > Someone posted it but i can't find it.
          > TY
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
          > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
          > charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
          >
          > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
          > provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
          > endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
          > microhydro-unsubscribe@...! Groups Links

        • Chief Kitsilano sterritt
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 6:07 AM
            Cedar, or a treated hemlock;
            perhaps some exotic hardwood

            --
            V>^^<V

          • David Murray
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 6:23 AM
              Goodmorning;

              You need to let us know if you are interested in an underwater wooden bearing material or an underwater structural material.

              As a bearing material we had refered to using lignam vitae, which is what hydro installations worldwide have used. That being said, it is not the only wood which may be used as a bearing material.

              White oak and red elm, not white elm or its immediate relatives, can be used as well . However, if you plan to use these woods, cut out your bearing blocks and soak them in boiled linseed oil. They should be soaked for several weeks if possible, after which they need to be exposed to air at least one week, preferably 2-3 weeks before immersing in water.

              I immerse my bearing block materials in coffee cans with a tight fitting lid. I have blocks soaking all the time. That way I have stock on hand. (What do you do with your spare time?)

              Cheers, David Murray,Paris Ontario, Canada. 519-442-1503.

              To: microhydro@yahoogroups.com
              From: bandini4u@...
              Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:37:48 +0000
              Subject: [microhydro] wood

              Can anyone tell me, please, which type of wood is best for use under water? Someone posted it but i can't find it.
              TY

            • Jerry Scovel
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1 7:52 AM
                Cedar.

                On Apr 1, 2010, at 1:37 AM, salceanucristian wrote:

                Can anyone tell me, please, which type of wood is best for use under
                water? Someone posted it but i can't find it.
                TY

              • jerry freedomev
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1 8:17 AM
                  Hi Ty and All,

                  Cypress, Teak, some cedars like Port Orford, Yellow pine depending on where you live. For plywood I boil a piece for 20 minutes, dry it, then boil it again to make sure the glue lasts.

                  Jerry Dycus

                • rkweir@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1 10:42 AM
                    TY,
                    Try the web site of the gents who make lignum bearings
                    _www.lignum-vitae.com_ (http://www.lignum-vitae.com) If you want a baffle wall heart redwood
                    works great when submerged

                    Bob

                    Robert K. Weir P.E.
                    Hydroscreen CO. LLC
                    303-333-6071
                    Fax 303-393-8298
                    e-mail rkweir@...
                    _www.hydroscreen.com_ (http://www.hydroscreen.com/)

                    "We don't just sell screens, we engineer solutions"

                  • Steve Spence
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1 3:39 PM
                      Black locust works well. I think cyprus does as well.

                      Steve Spence
                      Renewable energy and self sufficiency
                      http://www.green-trust.org
                      http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/

                    • bobmagi@att.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1 5:50 PM
                        As a boater, may I suggest a rubber cutlass bearing:

                        http://www.tacomapropeller.com/6223/23860/Duramax-Marine-Cutlass-Bearings/Duramax-Brass-Shell-Metric-Cutlass-Bearings.html

                        These last for years with 10's or 100's of horsepower driving a boat propellor. They will overheat and fail if run dry.

                        Bob
                        From: rkweir@...

                        > TY,
                        > Try the web site of the gents who make lignum bearings
                        > _www.lignum-vitae.com_ (http://www.lignum-vitae.com) If you want a baffle wall
                        > heart redwood
                        > works great when submerged
                        >
                        > Bob
                        >
                        > Robert K. Weir P.E.
                        > Hydroscreen CO. LLC
                        > 303-333-6071
                        > Fax 303-393-8298
                        > e-mail rkweir@...
                        > _www.hydroscreen.com_ (http://www.hydroscreen.com/)
                        >
                        > "We don't just sell screens, we engineer solutions"

                      • z
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1 11:08 PM
                          On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:17:32 -0700 (PDT), jerry freedomev wrote:

                          >Hi Ty and All,
                          >
                          >Cypress, Teak, some cedars like Port Orford, Yellow pine depending
                          >on where you live. For plywood I boil a piece for 20 minutes, dry
                          >it, then boil it again to make sure the glue lasts.
                          >
                          >Jerry Dycus

                          Being from the part of the world where Port Orford Ceder grows make sure any PO ceder you buy doesn't come from deseased trees that have been recovered.

                          Prime white ceder is the best in the world for withstanding rot .. we sawed up logs that were on the ground for 40+ years, but sadly lumber cut from trees with the root desease lack the staying power of the healthy boards

                          http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/nr/fid/fidls/poc.htm

                          Not sure why -- it's kind of sad. So if you go white ceder get your stock from healthy trees.