Re: [microhydro] Re: New Hydro Project Considerations

  • artemoalin2002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2009
      Stephen.

      What would be the limitations of using a bridge across a river to use it's frame to support turbine structures? Does the group know of any paticular method of securing turbines to structures on steel bridges? It is an old Italian bridge and a very heavy one. 50 meters across the river. We are thinking of using three to four units each 500 watts or so of your machines pending availability of funds. There are no regulations or rules here in our locaton in rural Ethiopia. It will be on the shabelle river . Range of water speed is between 1-3 meters per sec.depending on season and powe will be use to light a small village. River is usually between 2-5 meters deep. Any comments and thoughts appreciated.

      Arte

      On Dec 31, 2009, at 5:42 AM, <sdgregory@...> wrote:

      Jack,

      It sound like you have a good speed for a water current turbine. Be aware
      though that the power output of these is low compared to conventional hydro.

      A Darrieus water current turbine can handle the width independently from the
      depth hence making them the most appropriate for your site.

      A final thing that you should be aware of is determining the type of
      power out that is best suited for your site.

      Regards,

      Stephen Gregory, M.A.Sc., P.Eng.

      Alternative Hydro Solutions Ltd.

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
        Arte:

        Though directed to Stephen, I would like to place my 0.00002 cents worth response.

        The river about 50 meter wide and 2- 5 meter deep will carry a lot of debris, periodically and it is one problem to contend and solve well.

        Water velocity is one variable altering the output of the turbine --

        For this case, it may be possible to use the bridge to tie the turbine in the center of the river.

        With 2 meter deep there is the possibility of using 1.5 meter propeller and with some tricks one can produce some Kilowatts -- though I will need more information about the whole site to be able to suggest solutions that may be practical .

        If you want connect directly with me

      • sdgregory@althydrosolutions.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
          Arte and Jack,

          Please see my website as a good source of technical information it is
          http://www.althydrosolutions.com <http://www.althydrosolutions.com/>

          The limitations of using the bridge are two-fold. The first is simply the
          stresses carried to it via the support structure and the second is a
          vibration component - likely these are both ok, but I would need some
          additional information in order to do a rough calculation.

          A happy and prosperous New Year to all.

          From: microhydro@yahoogro <mailto:microhydro%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com