Re: [microhydro] Water Wheel

  • John Wood
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi Rocky,
      Where in the Philippines are you located?  I already have had Robert evaluate my property for a ram pump.  Do you design mini-hydro systems?  John Wood, Naga City, Cam Sur, Ph.

      From: Rex <rex@whitfieldfarm. co.za>

      Subject: [microhydro] Water Wheel

      To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

      Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 12:25 AM

      Hi all,

      I have a friend who wants to build a wheel to drive a piston pump to get water up a hill to his nursery - he currently uses a Lister and pump.

      Please can someone give me guidelines on width and diameter. He has about 20 lps worst flow and four to five times that in the rainy season. His head is about 3m, probably effectively 2.5m

      Many thanks

      Rex

    • Favoreal Percival
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Mr. John Wood,

        I read your email regarding your interest in mini-hydro systems. I Have been involved
        in the design and operation of Mini-Hydro systems in the province of Camarines Sur.I am
        actually living in Naga City and would like to visit your site. Please inform me your contact
        address so I can get in touch with you or we can met at Avenue Square in Magsaysay Avenue.

        Regards,

        Percival F.Favoreal
        Villagrande Homes,
        Naga City, Philippines.

        From: alberto rivera <rockyrivers2001@ yahoo.com>

        To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

        From: Rex <rex@whitfieldfarm. co.za>

        To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 12:25 AM

        Hi all,

        I have a friend who wants to build a wheel to drive a piston pump to get water up a hill to his nursery - he currently uses a Lister and pump.

        Please can someone give me guidelines on width and diameter. He has about 20 lps worst flow and four to five times that in the rainy season. His head is about 3m, probably effectively 2.5m

        Many thanks

        Rex

      • Sagar Mani Gnawali
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hey Bro,
          I suggest you to use a new innovative technology for that. Please visit
          www.hprnepal.org.np I want to meet you in my website and want to discuss
          about it. I have a sucessfull and innovative technology for that.

          sagar

          On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Favoreal Percival <pfavoreal@...>wrote:

          > Hi Mr. John Wood,
          >
          > I read your email regarding your interest in mini-hydro systems. I Have
          > been involved
          > in the design and operation of Mini-Hydro systems in the province of
          > Camarines Sur.I am
          > actually living in Naga City and would like to visit your site. Please
          > inform me your contact
          > address so I can get in touch with you or we can met at Avenue Square in
          > Magsaysay Avenue.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Percival F.Favoreal
          > Villagrande Homes,
          > Naga City, Philippines.
          >
          > --- On Tue, 12/1/09, John Wood <tunkatun@... <tunkatun%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: John Wood <tunkatun@... <tunkatun%40yahoo.com>>
          >
          > Subject: Re: [microhydro] Water Wheel
          > To: microhydro@yahoogroups.com <microhydro%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 7:33 PM
          >

          > Hi Rocky,
          >
          > Where in the Philippines are you located? I already have had Robert
          > evaluate my property for a ram pump. Do you design mini-hydro systems?
          > John Wood, Naga City, Cam Sur, Ph.

          Sagar Gnawali
          President
          Our Technology: Prosperous Nepal
          www.hprnepal.org.np
          Mobile No. 0977-9841803113

        • John Wood
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
            Hi Percival F.Favoreal,
            I would be happy to discuss the project with you.  What other microhydro projects have you been involved with?  Do you work for Villagrande Homes?  Are you affiliated with Armin Guinto?  My contact number is 09283049562.  We are near Malabsay falls, 500 meters from the park entrance past GSP.  Call me and you can come up and take a look.

            From: John Wood <tunkatun@yahoo. com>

            To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

            Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 7:33 PM

            From: alberto rivera <rockyrivers2001@ yahoo.com>

            To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

            From: Rex <rex@whitfieldfarm. co.za>

            To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
              Hi Nando,

              Thanks for the response. The delivery side is as follows:

              Head: 120m
              Flow: whatever we can get as this is for a nursery and they will pump a
              deficit or expand if there is a surplus
              Type of pump: triplex piston pump rated at 120barg
              Delivery pipe is about 250m long - the proposal is to start with a 63mm
              going down to 50mm for the second half - material PE

              Many thanks
              Rex

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
                I showed him my big ram pump but he was not interested. He has been given a
                piston pump already and is looking for a driver.
                Rex

              • rex zietsman
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                  I agree with the rampump struggling to get to 120m.

                  By driver I meant some device that will drive the piston pump not the
                  rampump.

                  Regards
                  Rex

                • alberto rivera
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                    Hi John,
                    I'm based in Quezon City but my farm is situated 66km away in Jalajala, Rizal. I don't build micro-hydro; I'm still in the process of evaluating the feasibility of a micro-hydro system for my farm. I need to be able to size it properly and the rainy season volume is just so different from the summer season.
                    I still need to come up with the required information (volume, head, etc.) which I still have to compile for the summer months before I can progress.

                    Best regards.
                    Rocky Rivera

                    From: alberto rivera <rockyrivers2001@ yahoo.com>

                    To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

                    From: Rex <rex@whitfieldfarm. co.za>

                    To: microhydro@yahoogro ups.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                      We need more info to see if it is possible to use it or not -- what do you call a driver ?
                      Parameters of the piston pump .

                      How is your "big" pump, details

                      Ram pump for such 2.55 to 120 meter ratio -- not very good !!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                        ROCKY:

                        The winter volume is important to give the upper power harvested and the dry season as long as you have observed the volume to be let's say 1/3 it may be OK - and good enough to start the hydro.

                        In this case with the measured head to determine to size of turbine and generator .
                        The turbine in this case if the head is good, a Turgo would be the logical one, since 4 nozzles can be set up easily, and with a bit more work a 6 nozzles can be built.

                        The dry months ( summer) is for determination of the "maximum" lower level -- which with a Turgo such arrangement is easy to adjust with nozzle changes if required.

                        Do not hold on yourself , it takes too much time to set up and build a small hydro system .

                        Several, we have built, knowing just the winter flow, to attain the highest available power -- with nozzles changes, one can attain a lot of power range changes, from just enough energy to rotate the generator unloaded to the max aceptable volume available in winter.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                          If all you want to do is raise water and they can work with gravity to get the water to the field,
                          then instead of the wheel driving a separate pump think of the spiral pipe pumping wheels.

                          The wheel is the pump and the only wear point is the rotating coupler at the hub.

                          They work well with varying water depths and speeds as long as the trash is kept away.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                            The spiral water wheel to raise water has a limitation which is ONE atmospheric pressure because both ends of the spiral pump are open to the air -- and there is not a mechanically isolated compression stage.

                            The spiral wheel pump is quite practical in areas where the water sources have fast movement and the water to be raised is not more than 3/4 of one atmospheric pressure.