Re: [microhydro] hydro systam

  • Nils Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      Mark,

      The head is great but how is the flow rate? Does your pond provide
      continuous supply to your hydro system? Where does the pond receive water?
      Groundwater or some sort of surface source? That would help determine your
      mean flow rate from the pond. even if your hydrosystem plan is for
      intermitent or seasonal use, you still need to know where the pond gets
      water (rain, groundwater, surface runoff or supply, etc), for how long, at
      waht rate, etc.

      If you would like to see the overall feasibility of your hydro project, you
      may stop by Hydroxpert's site and see the simulation tool SIMAHPP (
      http://www.hydroxpert.com) and see SIMAHPP 4 Professional and SIMAHPP
      Standard. It has a bunch of simulation options and result analysis,
      especially the new version (v4).

      Nils

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
        MarK:

        The first step is to measure the water flow levels during the seasonal changes to determine what is available, then to measure the head and the profile between both ponds for the pipe installation and how and where to place the turbine, then the distance to the load .

        With this information we can calculate how much energy you can harvest, then the type of pipe needed, the turbine and generator and any other requirements to fulfill to attain a workable project within your financial limitations.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
          Hi Mark, you have one part of the puzzle; you know the head available, i.e.
          75 ft. Now you must evaluate how much flow rate is available to you taking
          into consideration environmental issues, etc.

          Then you can take a look at these charts:

          http://www.lightmypump.com/turbine%20selection%20chart.htm

          which will help point the way to a particular type of machine.

          Cheers,

          Jacques

          Jacques Chaurette

          <http://www.lightmypump.com> http://www.lightmypump.com