Re: pumping water uphill.... with a prop-mounted pump

  • Doug Fortune / Pentam Aerospace
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      I'm just back from the wilderness after testing a lighter-weight
      (shore-based) mounting stand, based on 4x4's (instead of 6x6's).
      It worked OK, but I can see some improvements, which will be
      implemented later this week.

      With the mounting stand being portable (two parts of ~50 pounds
      each), I will be able to test on local rivers, saving me a few
      hundred miles of driving for each round of tests! This design
      pivots the device into the stream, mounted from a horizontal beam
      stretching out from the river bank, and should also work for mounting
      stream-immersed generators, as well as my irrigation pump.

      Back to the pump, I'm hoping within 7-10 days I can get a new
      double-capacity version running, which will run two residential
      impact sprinklers (20-30 foot spray radius), or one small orchard
      (Gilmour tripod) sprinkler of 53 foot radius spray (8500 sq ft coverage).

      cheers
      Doug Fortune
      Calgary

      David Murray wrote:

      > Good morning Tony;
      >
      > Thank you for sharing your very complete account of these projects. I am
      > sure that most of the members are more than casually familiar with the
      > principles and similar applications, however it is always gratifying to
      > hear a first person shared account,especially
      >
      > one which is so adequately annotated with photos and drawings. Thank you
      > again, it was a great read. David Murray, P
      > aris Ontario.
      >
      > To: microhydro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:microhydro%40yahoogroups.com>
      > CC:
      > From: tony@... <mailto:tony%40peeniwalli.com>
      > Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:43:47 -0600
      > Subject: re: [microhydro] pumping water uphill.... with a prop-mounted pump
      >
      > Doug, (the guy who wants to pump water uphill for irrigation).. this
      > might not be of help, but it gave me some great spin--off ideas.. check
      > it out..... http://aquamor.tripod.com/Wheel.htm ..this is a paddle-wheel
      > pump...very simple..good luck .....Tony in Jamaica

    • razvan gradinaru
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
        I have a question:

        -How I can calculate the diameter of a penstock pipe with a given Head, Flow(Q), and the length of the penstock pipe?
        -For example, if I have Q = 0.8, Head = 30m and length of the penstock pipe = 600m, how I can calculate the diameter?

        Best regards!

      • John Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 6, 2011
          Hi,