Please save a saltwater marshland and adjoining sensitive uplands with an email!

  • LC
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
      I continue to enjoy my "pico" hydro system providing a "trickle"
      charging capacity for my off grid cabin.

      My axial flux generator project is ready for casting, blades are
      carved. I hope to get the genny flying early Spring.

      But that is not my reason for writing.

      My hope is that folks who are interested in wind power will also care
      about other environmental issues, hence this post. The WA State Dept
      of Trans. is in final planning and considering building a hwy bridge
      and 4 lane hwy through a sensitive saltwater estuary (Burley Lagoon)
      and upland wetlands/forests/open spaces. The period for public
      comment is open between 1/2 and 1/12/2009.

      For reference please see my "cause" page on Facebook

      http://apps.facebook.com/causes/175032?m=7bf7bab2

      Here is the action request:

      I hope this finds everyone enjoying auspicious beginnings for your
      2009! In that light, I ask that you start your New Year by taking a
      little time today and send your thoughts to:

      John P. Donahue, P.E.
      Project Manager
      WSDOT Olympic Region Planning Office
      http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR302/NewCorridor
      donahjo@...

      It is absolutely critical that these comments are posted between now
      and January 12th when the open time for comments is closed!

      I ask that you make two requests:

      1. No highway through Burley Lagoon
      2. No arterial expansion upland of the lagoon and East of 118th street
      to assure a large set of connected open spaces are not bisected by a
      new arterial. In particular, please oppose any plans to extend 82nd
      street North. Today it is a rural dead end road that allows for
      protected species to traverse freely. Turning it into a connector will
      have a harmful impact on the ecosystem.

      Thanks for your efforts to protect this important area!

      Jan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
        John:
        Thank you for your message,

        I am quite interested in your "trickle" charging capacity of your "pico" hydro system detailed description of it.

        Can you supply the info.

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
          It is tiny and has been scoffed at as not capable of delivering any power and inefficient. However, here in WA state in the Winter when we have the equivalent of a solar night, my little battery bank is topped off and the diversion load working when I visit the cabin after a few days away. This was not the case before installing the little guy, so there is something going on here.

          What I have is a 1" pipe, 3500' long with 200' of head through a single 1/8th inch nozzle driving a 4" pelton wheel attached to DC PM generator (http://www.windstreampower.com/443541_PMDCG.php).

          So, truly a "trickle" compared to most anything folks consider. For those who want to tell me I should run a bigger line or any other advice, please save the bandwidth! This was a fun little experiment using my existing water line I use for showers, cooking, garden watering, and so on. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was getting enough power output to top off the batteries and have no interest in spending the kind of money needed to run a big line that far.

          The whole system also includes a 300 watt solar array, 660 AH golf cart battery bank with two Xantex controllers, one for the PV and the other for the load diversion. I am about 80% done building an axial flux wind genny and hope to fly her this Spring as another power aggregator experiment.

          Cheers,

          Jan

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
            JAN:

            Thank you for the info unhappily you do not inform how much current and battery voltage, indeed a low current charger does the job if time is not a constrain.

            The rough calculation gives around 18 to 25 watts, this depends on the generator and the total losses in the 3500 feet length, couplings and elbows if such exist .

            It seems that the water usage in this case is around 0.063 to 0.1 liter/sec = 1 to 1.58 GPM -- Your high head pressure is what gives you such power with a low water usage.

            We did one like yours but only about 1200 feet pipe length and 180 feet head .

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
              I am very interested in your pico hydro system, and I would realy appreciate it if you can direct me to pictures and or data.
              Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration, and hopping the very best for you and all of yours, I am,

              Very truly yours,

              Jose Vallarino
              from Panamá, Rep. of Panama

              donahjo@wsdot. wa.gov

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
                Battery voltage is 12VDC (3 pairs of 6VDC). There are connectors every 100' that reduce the diameter to something more like 7/8", no elbows to the nozzle, though there are a few "T" fittings to allow for water supply to other uses named in the first email reply, though those are only sporadic use. Open circuit voltage on the genny is 88 VDC FWIW, closed current is estimated at no more than 2 amps and probably closer to 1.5.

                I concur that time is my friend in this experiment.

                From: nando37@...
                To: microhydro@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re:
                [microhydro] Please save a saltwater marshland and adjoining sensitive uplands
                with an email!
                Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:31:08 -0600

                John:
                Thank you for your message,

                I am quite interested in your "trickle"
                charging capacity of your "pico" hydro system detailed description of
                it.

                Can you supply the info.

                Thanks

                Nando

                -----
[...]

                Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista�. See how

              • Jan Nelson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 13, 2009
                  It is built from an ESD 4" pelton wheel available from:

                  AltE"Making Renewable Do-able"http://www.altEstore.com/Tel: 877.878.4060 x107 or +1.978.562.5858 x107Fax: 877.242.6718 or +1.978.562.5854

                  You need to call them to get it, should be about $140.00 USD

                  This is mated to the DC generator:

                  http://windstreampower.com/443541_PMDCG.php

                  Windstream power can help you with the interconnect and a "spinner" diverter that keeps water away from the bearing on the Genny end.

                  The 1/8th " nozzle is from Joe at Hartvigsen Hydro:

                  http://www.h-hydro.com/

                  He is super helpful and a supplier of a LOT of hydro stuff. His turgo wheels are top notch.

                  I do not have pics, but basically, just find a way to mount the genny vertically with the shaft pointing down (I used 1/4" plexiglass) and mount the wheel on the other side with grease and the diverter to keep water from migrating to the genny. Put the plastic on top of a 10 gallon bucket with a drain hose in the bottom side. Use a diode inline and run to the batteries. I use a Xantrex C-60 charge controller as a load diverter to a resistance sink source to keep from over charging the batteries. This system is experimental and fun to mess with, but also does keep the batteries topped off during our Winter months here in the Pacific NorthWest.

                  If I can, I'll get some pictures taken

                  To: microhydro@yahoogroups.comFrom: josedvallarino@...: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 18:47:20 -0800Subject: Re: [microhydro] Please save a saltwater marshland and adjoining sensitive uplands with an email!

                  I am very interested in your pico hydro system, and I would realy appreciate it if you can direct me to pictures and or data.Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration, and hopping the very best for you and all of yours, I am, Very truly yours, Jose Vallarinofrom Panam�, Rep. of Panama--- On Sat, 1/3/09, LC <nelson_jan@...> wrote:From: LC <nelson_jan@...>Subject: [microhydro] Please save a saltwater marshland and adjoining sensitive uplands with an email!To: microhydro@yahoogroups.comDate: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 3:06 PMI continue to enjoy my "pico" hydro system providing a "trickle"charging capacity for my off grid cabin.My axial flux generator project is ready for casting, blades arecarved. I hope to get the genny flying early Spring. But that is not my reason for writing.My hope is that folks who are interested in wind power will also careabout other environmental issues, hence this post. The WA State Deptof Trans. is in final planning and considering building a hwy bridgeand 4 lane hwy through a sensitive saltwater estuary (Burley Lagoon)and upland wetlands/forests/ open spaces. The period for publiccomment is open between 1/2 and 1/12/2009.For reference please see my "cause" page on Facebookhttp://apps. facebook. com/causes/ 175032?m= 7bf7bab2Here is the action request:I hope this finds everyone enjoying auspicious beginnings for your2009! In that light, I ask that you start your New Year by taking alittle time today and send your thoughts to: John P. Donahue, P.E. Project Manager WSDOT Olympic Region Planning Office http://www.wsdot. wa.gov/Projects/ SR302/NewCorrido r donahjo@wsdot. wa.gov It is absolutely critical that these comments are posted between nowand January 12th when the open time for comments is closed! I ask that you make two requests: 1. No highway through Burley Lagoon 2. No arterial expansion upland of the lagoon and East of 118th streetto assure a large set of connected open spaces are not bisected by anew arterial. In particular, please oppose any plans to extend 82ndstreet North. Today it is a rural dead end road that allows forprotected species to traverse freely. Turning it into a connector willhave a harmful impact on the ecosystem. Thanks for your efforts to protect this important area! Jan[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]