Guy Debord's Kriegspiel

  • SCN User
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
      This isn't strictly speaking a microgame but I thought it would interest
      members of this mailing list.

      Guy Debord, a French thinker best known for his "Situationist" thought in
      the 60s, wrote a wargame based on Clausewitzian and Napoleonic principles.
      It has recently been rendered in Java and is playable for free. It features
      small forces and simple rules, yet depicts (*) combat support and lines of
      communication.

      The link:
      http://r-s-g.org/kriegspiel/

      In the About section Debord refers to the game rules as being written in a
      "juridico-geometric" style.

      ----

      * Is there a word that means "represent in game form"? On the analogy of
      "depict" it would be "delude"!

    • Matthew Nadelhaft
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
        Is this the guy who wrote "The Society of the Spectical?" To this day that remains the most obtuse and incomprehensible book I've ever attempted to read!Matt"The song sleeps in the machine"-- Einsturzende Neubauten

        To: microgame@yahoogroups.comFrom: warmoth@...: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:17:58 -0800Subject: [microgame] Guy Debord's Kriegspiel

        This isn't strictly speaking a microgame but I thought it would interestmembers of this mailing list.Guy Debord, a French thinker best known for his "Situationist" thought inthe 60s, wrote a wargame based on Clausewitzian and Napoleonic principles.It has recently been rendered in Java and is playable for free. It featuressmall forces and simple rules, yet depicts (*) combat support and lines ofcommunication.The link:http://r-s-g.org/kriegspiel/In the About section Debord refers to the game rules as being written in a"juridico-geometric" style.----* Is there a word that means "represent in game form"? On the analogy of"depict" it would be "delude"![Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
          That's the man! It seems he took all the clarity and simplicity he didn't
          use in his book and put them into his game.