Ice War 2nd ed census

  • The Maverick
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
      I recently had a chance to dig out Ice War and wanted to touch bases
      again with the other people who have the "second edition" parts set
      (plain paper rulebook and die-cut counters.)

      My set came with two mapsheets (in error?), the rulebook marked second
      edition on the cover, and a small 7 x 6 counter sheet (42 blue
      counters.) Does anyone have one that differs from this?

      And, of course, if someone has a second edition set with the box or a
      complete counter set, please let us know!

      the Mav

      --

      "Never give up -- never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart
    • Steven Woodcock
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
        Mine also came with two maps. I'll have to go dig it up to check the
        counters; don't actually recall.

        =============================
        Steven Woodcock
        From the High, Cool Mountains of Colorado
        http://www.gameai.com

        > I recently had a chance to dig out Ice War and wanted to touch bases
        > again with the other people who have the "second edition" parts set
        > (plain paper rulebook and die-cut counters.)
        >
        > My set came with two mapsheets (in error?), the rulebook marked second
        > edition on the cover, and a small 7 x 6 counter sheet (42 blue
        > counters.) Does anyone have one that differs from this?
        >
        > And, of course, if someone has a second edition set with the box or a
        > complete counter set, please let us know!
        >
        > the Mav
        >

        > --
        >
        > "Never give up -- never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

      • Kenneth Li
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
          My Ice War second edition came with a rules book (copyright 1978) with
          second edition printing in bold at the cover, no box, one map and a sheet of
          42 counters, there are 16 white on blue counters and the rest is blue on
          white. The white on blue has infantry and tanks units only, while the blue
          on white ones have 6 sat search, 1 tank unit and the rest is all CONV
          counters.

          BTW I still haven't get any help on the original Ice War counters. Any kind
          soul out there can do a scan of the units or at least give me a list of
          units that came with the game will be greatly appreciated.

          Thanks alot.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
            Hello Everybody:

            I have what I believe is a first edition (it doesn't say second
            anywhere), copyright 1978. It's got a blue cover, runs 24 pages if you
            count the covers, and has "03-1-009" on the back cover lower right.

            I received only one map.

            There are a lot of counters--29 "Conv" counters (brown letters on white
            background), 5 "Sat Search" counters (brown letters on white background,
            numbered 1 through 5), 43 brown on white background counters, and 57 white
            on brown background counters. The brown is somewhat purplish (to my eyes,
            anyway), so some might call it that.

            That's 144 counters in all, originally on 2 sheets I *think*. They're
            all cut out now, of course.

            I would have bought the game pretty much when I first saw the ad; I did
            that with all of the Metagaming stuff. I've no idea if this is typical for
            a first edition or not, but the fact that I don't have two sets of the "Sat
            Search" counters implies to me that I didn't accidently get two sets of
            sheets. Oh, and I now see that the back of the rules back says "135
            counters" on it too.

            Hope that helps! Mav, if this seems like what you're looking for I can
            figure out the unit counts if that would be helpful.

            =============================
            Steven Woodcock
            From the High, Cool Mountains of Colorado

            > My Ice War second edition came with a rules book (copyright 1978) with
            > second edition printing in bold at the cover, no box, one map and a sheet
            of
            > 42 counters, there are 16 white on blue counters and the rest is blue on
            > white. The white on blue has infantry and tanks units only, while the blue
            > on white ones have 6 sat search, 1 tank unit and the rest is all CONV
            > counters.
            >
            > BTW I still haven't get any help on the original Ice War counters. Any
            kind
            > soul out there can do a scan of the units or at least give me a list of
            > units that came with the game will be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks alot.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Steven Woodcock
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
              Oops....make that 30 "Conv" counters and 58 white on brown unit
              counters. Found two on the floor... <grin>

              Steven Woodcock
              From the High, Cool Mountains of Colorado