Cal Arath is wolf bait!

  • Chris Camfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2000
      After deciding to print out a long e-text this evening, I decided to pull
      out Barbarian Prince and give it a whirl to pass the time.

      First day: move from 1301 into the forest in 1201 without getting lost.
      Roll for encounter... e075: Wolves!

      11 wolves descend on Cal Arath. He can't run. End of game. I don't even
      bother to run the encounter.

      My, wasn't that fun?

      So, I figured, I never liked that encounter, and I like tweaking things in
      BP. How about, instead of 3d6 wolves, there are only 2d6, and to run from
      them you must roll a 5 or 6 on a die roll instead of 4, 5, or 6? Still
      very tough, but more reasonable.

      With that in hand, I decide to replay the encounter and see how the game
      goes from there. I re-read the encounter text. Aha, you get to hunt
      before resolving the encounter. I roll for hunting.

      I get a 12. The prince has a hunting accident. He takes *6* wounds, down
      from 9 to 3.

      Although he's not surprised, the 7 wolves attack Cal Arath and knock him
      unconscious before he gets a chance to run.

      Oh well... :->

      What do people think of my revised wolf encounter?

      Chris

      --
      Chris Camfield - ccamfield@...
      "Let's go dancing in our Sunday clothes
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2000
        How about this:

        After determining how many wolves there are, roll 3d6. Add 1 to the total
        for each of Cal's followers. Add 1 to the total for each food unit you
        throw to the wolves. If the final total is less than or equal to the number
        of wolves, they attack. Otherwise, they decide to leave you alone.

        > After deciding to print out a long e-text this evening, I decided to pull
        > out Barbarian Prince and give it a whirl to pass the time.
        >
        > First day: move from 1301 into the forest in 1201 without getting lost.
        > Roll for encounter... e075: Wolves!
        >
        > 11 wolves descend on Cal Arath. He can't run. End of game. I don't even
        > bother to run the encounter.
        >
        > My, wasn't that fun?

        I hear that. I still would've run the encounter, though; there's always
        that one in six chance of enemies fleeing each round any of them are killed.
        It's not much, but it's something.