Gotta program controllers to monitor and control temperature, pressure

  • payal_batra
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2006
      Hi there,
      I am a post graduation student and am stuck in the midst of
      programming a microcontroller to monitor and control temperature and
      pressure and send the signal to the circuit breaker to open/close
      accordingly.
      I am totally new to microcontrollers. So many of them are available
      in the market. First of all, please advise me which one to choose.
      Obviously the one whose software are readily available. WHICH ONE??

      Also, whatever i studied on the internet, I have come up with the
      following steps to go through inorder to accomplish my objective. I
      know this may sound very very amateurish to experts sitting here, but
      I is an earnest request, please guide me.
      Are these steps ok?
      1. write a program in c to control temp and pressure....I still have
      to find someone help me with that.
      2. Compile this program using a compiler like the one availabe at
      sourceboost.com
      3. using a bootloader program to feed the .hex file(compiled above)
      into the selected microcontroller(mc). the mc is connected to pc via
      comm1/2 ports.
      4. testing the system by phisically placing the mc in cirsuit, BUT
      HOW and WHERE????/

      Please advise me on the above. I will be grateful.

      Waiting for a reply.
      Payal
    • smt5211
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2006
        Hi,

        > I am totally new to microcontrollers. So many of them are available
        > in the market. First of all, please advise me which one to choose.
        > Obviously the one whose software are readily available. WHICH ONE??

        If you want an easy to use, cheap solution, use PIC.

        If you need more performance, use an ARM such as the Philips LPC2138.

        > 1. write a program in c to control temp and pressure....I still have
        > to find someone help me with that.

        Sounds like you need a contract programmer.

        You can use the free evaluation compiler from www.htsoft.com.

        > 3. using a bootloader program to feed the .hex file(compiled above)
        > into the selected microcontroller(mc). the mc is connected to pc via
        > comm1/2 ports.

        First, you need to program the bootloader in using a programmer such
        as the ICD2. The bootloader is designed for people to upgrade their
        circuits, when they don't have access to a PIC programmer.

        > 4. testing the system by phisically placing the mc in cirsuit, BUT
        > HOW and WHERE????/

        Sounds like you need to read a book on programming, or talk to someone
        who has done it before!

        Regards,
        Shane Tolmie
        www.microchipC.com