Re: [Microbiology] Group Project For Intro Micro Class

  • smr bonayan
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
      hi
      i was thinking of streptococcal post infection complication ,i think this patient is immunocompromized because he is heroin addictid so if he has a previouse strept or thraot infection by sterept.group A ,C or G this may cause  Endocarditis so there are many test should be done to diagnose if he has complication of previouse strept infection like.streptlsin O, streptozym,nadase
      i hope i helped and tell me what do u think

      pagandeva2000 <maddbunnie_7@...> wrote:
      Hello Everyone!

      I started Fundementals of Microbiology today, and I wanted to know
      what I had to do to research a subject given to my group in Lab
      today.  I am not asking for the work to be done, of course, but I
      wanted a running idea to take to my classmates on how we can
      research the following scenerio, if you guys don't mind advising me
      about:

      ***Mr. Smith, a known heroin user, was admitted to the emergency
      room with complaints of low-grade fever, back pain and anorexia for
      two weeks.  An EKG was performed, as part of the physical
      assessment, that revealed abnormalities and a heart murmur was
      detected.  Endocarditis was suspected, and a blood culture was sent
      to the lab for my analysis.****

      I know that we will be instructed as time goes on to show us what to
      do, but I wanted to get an idea of where to look, and what data
      would I be using to find the information.  This is my first day, and
      while I know there will be some time, we have to send a rough draft
      to the professor by September 29th.  Have any of you instructors had
      similar assignments delegated to your students?  Where would I look
      first?

      Thanks!

      Joy

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • pagandeva2000
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
        Thanks. But tell me, where should I look to rule out? This was my
        first day in class, so I am sure that I can learn, but is there a
        web site that I would check, or a section in the text book that may
        suggest where to start?

        Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

        -- In microbiology@yahoogroups.com, smr bonayan <toty2002@y...>
        wrote:
        > hi
        > i was thinking of streptococcal post infection complication ,i
        think this patient is immunocompromized because he is heroin
        addictid so if he has a previouse strept or thraot infection by
        sterept.group A ,C or G this may cause Endocarditis so there are
        many test should be done to diagnose if he has complication of
        previouse strept infection like.streptlsin O, streptozym,nadase
        > i hope i helped and tell me what do u think
        >
        > pagandeva2000 <maddbunnie_7@m...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > I started Fundementals of Microbiology today, and I wanted to know
        > what I had to do to research a subject given to my group in Lab
        > today. I am not asking for the work to be done, of course, but I
        > wanted a running idea to take to my classmates on how we can
        > research the following scenerio, if you guys don't mind advising
        me
        > about:
        >
        > ***Mr. Smith, a known heroin user, was admitted to the emergency
        > room with complaints of low-grade fever, back pain and anorexia
        for
        > two weeks. An EKG was performed, as part of the physical
        > assessment, that revealed abnormalities and a heart murmur was
        > detected. Endocarditis was suspected, and a blood culture was
        sent
        > to the lab for my analysis.****
        >
        > I know that we will be instructed as time goes on to show us what
        > do, but I wanted to get an idea of where to look, and what data
        > would I be using to find the information. This is my first day,
        and
        > while I know there will be some time, we have to send a rough
        draft
        > to the professor by September 29th. Have any of you instructors
        had
        > similar assignments delegated to your students? Where would I
        look
        > first?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Joy
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

      • HaioHwaTha@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
          What organisms are capable of causing endocarditis? What other infectious
          agents are commonly found among IV drug abusers? What signs & symptoms coincide
          with those infections?

          -Jim McCrady
        • dsra dilmah
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
            I agree with Jim's line of questions here.

            You need go an make lists of microbes that can answer these questions.

            The first thing you shhould always do is go through the patient's clinical notes and highlight what is significant, which is what Jim has basically done with these questions. Then go and answer them.

            These lists will be your differential diagnosis and hopefully as you go through and perform tests and interpret their resulsts you can start excluded the microbes until you have a final answer.

            The blood culture results will give you valuable information, but in the meantime the answers to these question will get you thinking about what possible further tests may be required and what results to look out for.

            You may need to read up/revise on infections/microbiology of the cardiovascular system/Bloodstream especially the heart.

            At the end of the project when you hand in your report. If the assessor asks you why you came up with a final or definitive diagnosis including the causitve organism(s), you should be able to justify your decision.
            If he asks you what other organism/conditions need to be considered based on all the clinical history and symptoms you can then tell them, and why did you exclude them... you shoudl be able to also justify this!

            -Dilhara

            HaioHwaTha@... wrote:
            What organisms are capable of causing endocarditis? What other infectious
            agents are commonly found among IV drug abusers? What signs & symptoms coincide
            with those infections?

            -Jim McCrady

          • mitul patel
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 10, 2004
              hello freinds,

              my name is mitul and i have go project on aspergillus niger.. and morever seminar on optimized growth condition for aspergillus niger and effect of media on growth of asepergillus niger.

              so freinds if any one can help me i would be very greatfull.if u have any material or papers do send it to me.

              please if any one have good knowledge please be in touch.

              bye

              mitul

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • neha jain
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 6, 2005
                Hello friends
                                 Anybody know about RANBAXY company selection procedure for job & training program pls tell me.

                Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!
                http://in.mail.yahoo.com
              • zivertuna
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
                  hi all,
                  i have a request of you. Is there any websites where i can get information about bacteriocines?

                  thank you very much.

                  regard,
                  ziver
                • HaioHwaTha@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
                    In a message dated 7/27/05 12:28:00 PM, zivertuna@... writes:

                    << hi all,
                    i have a request of you. Is there any websites where i can get information
                    about bacteriocines?

                    thank you very much.

                    regard,
                    ziver >>

                    Did you try a search using Google, and the keyword "Bacteriocin"?
                  • Sweet Girl

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 30, 2005
                        Thanks for the information.
                        Ziver

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 6, 2009
                          dear all,

                          please tell me, how long mycorrhizal spore can stayed in soil after we dig from the field?

                          thanks all..

                          New Email names for you!
                          Hurry before someone else does!
                        • M.Zeeshan
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 6, 2009
                            --- In microbiology@yahoogroups.com, Noval Rameindra <rpr17mr@...> wrote:

                            > dear all,
                            >
                            > please tell me, how long mycorrhizal spore can stayed in soil after we dig from the field?
                            >
                            > thanks all..
                            >

                            > New Email names for you!
                            > Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.
                            > Hurry before someone else does!
                            > http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/

                            They can stay in soil and environment for very long and will grow as they get adequate parameters.
                          • Dora Smith
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 6, 2009

                              Don't actually know, but it seems like googling the question ought to help.    Also, the question is not clear.   You want to nkow how long these spores remain viable where and under what conditions?   "after we dig from the field"  doesn't tell us if you want to know ohw long the spores can remain on your clothes, in the soil, on the shovel, exposed to air, buried, under water, in samples that you gathered, on archeological artifacts that you dug up, what?

                              Yours,
                              Dora Smith
                              Austin, TX
                              tiggernut24@...

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 6, 2009
                                i'm sorry if my english not clearly..
                                okay, how long these spores remain viable in soil? i maintain on the wrap plastic in room temperature.
                                thanks a lot..

                                tiggernut24@ yahoo.com

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 7, 2009

                                  So you keep soil in plastic wrap at room temperature, and you want to know how long the mycorrhizal fungi spores will remain viable?

                                  All I found real fast is that there's quite an interest in the things as some plants need them to grow.   Usually scientists seem more interested in what chemicals and so forth affect their numbers than in how to keep them alive in plastic wrapped soil, but storage must be an issue.      Maybe what you want to know is how to store garden soil for growing plants that need mycorrhizal fungi, like roses.

                                  Yours,
                                  Dora Smith
                                  Austin, TX
                                  tiggernut24@...

                                  okay, how long these spores remain viable in soil? i maintain on the wrap plastic in room temperature.
                                  thanks a lot..

                                  please tell me, how long mycorrhizal spore can stayed in soil after we dig from the field?

                                  thanks all..

                                  New Email names for you!
                                  Hurry before someone else does!

                                  Get your preferred Email name!
                                  Now you can @... and @rocketmail. com.

                                • Dora Smith
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 7, 2009

                                    I googled "how to store micorhizal (sp) spores)"

                                    Yours,
                                    Dora Smith
                                    Austin, TX
                                    tiggernut24@...

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                      thanks a lot..
                                      I appreciate for your help..

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 11, 2009
                                        hi pa i didnt know about u. actually i finished my ug microbiology in coimbatore.after am willing to go for higher study[ Msc].so whats ur opinion for my next course pls consult with ur friends and give the information of best institution in tamilnadu.kindly by asarudeen

                                      • shanmugha priya
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 12, 2009
                                          hi azar, u can opt for microbiology msc or biotech msc. u can try in PSG college in cbe itself.. one of the best for ur subject.. best teachers and best teaching..!

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 12, 2009
                                            Dear all,

                                                   I need the sample of personal statement or statment of purpose. If any one of u have thn please reply

                                            Regards,

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 14, 2009
                                              thanks for ur kind information pa.but in psg only merit sheet pa i have only 75% then how pa........... it is possible r not

                                              hi azar, u can opt for microbiology msc or biotech msc. u can try in PSG college in cbe itself.. one of the best for ur subject.. best teachers and best teaching..!

                                              hi pa i didnt know about u. actually i finished my ug microbiology in coimbatore.after am willing to go for higher study[ Msc].so whats ur opinion for my next course pls consult with ur friends and give the information of best institution in tamilnadu.kindly by asarudeen

                                              Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Yahoo! Edition * Click here!

                                              Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.
                                            • shanmugha priya
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 14, 2009
                                                75% is doubtful.. of course merit there...it also depends on ur community.. BC means very difficult.. MBC, SC, or ST means possible... also there are two management seats.. if u could afford na u can try for that... that too might be registered..am not sure
                                                i had 88% and i got thru first in merit list..but u can always check before finalising.. GRD also ok..

                                                thanks for ur kind information pa.but in psg only merit sheet pa i have only 75% then how pa.......... . it is possible r not

                                                hi azar, u can opt for microbiology msc or biotech msc. u can try in PSG college in cbe itself.. one of the best for ur subject.. best teachers and best teaching..!

                                                hi pa i didnt know about u. actually i finished my ug microbiology in coimbatore.after am willing to go for higher study[ Msc].so whats ur opinion for my next course pls consult with ur friends and give the information of best institution in tamilnadu.kindly by asarudeen

                                                Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Yahoo! Edition * Click here!

                                                Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.

                                                Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India Travel Click here!
                                              • AZARUDEEN AZAR
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 16, 2009
                                                  its ok pa am already applied to barathiyar and madurai kamaraj university.on 30th i have seminar in mku and 24th entrance in barathiyar pa..............................after only decided with fast movement

[...]

                                                  Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.* Click here!.
                                                • Sriva Vijayaraghavan
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 16, 2009
                                                    Hello Shanmugha Priya,

                                                    It is imperative on your part not to talk about caste, creed, or religion in microbiology group. This group is purely used for communicating scientific data. Also, talking about sub-standard institutions in any country is a complete waste of time and energy. So, please do not repeat these mistakes. Thanks for your time.

                                                    Respectfully,
                                                    Sriva Vijayaraghavan
                                                    Illinois 60612, U.S.A.

                                                    "Men are equal; it is not birth but virtue that makes the difference"- Late Voltaire, French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
                                                    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete this message and any attachments.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 17, 2009
                                                      am really sorry for that.. i didnt actually know about these.. thanks for informing..