At least we're keeping the Argos afloat, Rob

  • Daniel M
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10 10:36 PM
      Rob,
      Oh, good.  I thought to myself, "Man!  I can really clear a room, can't I?"  At any rate, I still think the Nashville idea would be cool.  Of course, Athens itself would be better, but it would be awesome to visit Nashville's Parthenon.

      P.S.  LOVED the movie "My Life In Ruins."  Some license taken with some of the historical accuracy, but a fun film and I love Nia, of course.

      P.P.S.  What is the consensus among Hellenic peoples about the "Percy Jackson" franchise?  I've read all five books to do with saving Olympus, New York and Western Civilization as we know it and I've seen the movie.  Loved both.

      • Naturally, creative license was taken, but it was done in a way that (I don't think) was disrespectful or too very off of the mark.
      • I like that the Gods are not depicted as too omnipotent nor all benevolent.  They have human-like frailties and flaws which (in the story) lead to a near destruction of Olympus by their revived and regenerated father, Kronos.
      • Gods, goddesses, nymphs, dryads, cyclopes and satyrs are all depicted in a light the modern youth will understand, without sacrificing the dignity of these mythological persons and divinities.
      • Very much the "Harry Potter" for we polytheists who worship the ancient Olympians.
    • Rob Henderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14 5:36 PM
        I've wanted to visit the Parthenon in Nashville for some time, as well. Not sure we'd get anyone besides the two of us, though, if we limit the discussion to this group!

        I've not read the books yet but did see the first Percy Jackson movie and was mostly impressed. ( http://robslg.bravejournal.com/entry/51997 for details.) The Hellenics I know like the books a lot, for what that's worth.

        Rob Henderson
        kargach@...

[...]

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
      • Daniel M
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14 11:43 PM
          Rob,
          Grrrr.  Blast this messaging format!  Disregard the afore-written dreck.

          I was saying, however:  Yes, I think it would be wonderful to make a religious pilgrimage to Nashville.  I could give a sod about the Grand Ol' Opry, though I guess from an Americana standpoint it would be interesting to see.  Gosh.  What would I wear to stand before the mighty and wise Athena?  I don't suppose it would be too subtle to wear a tunic and chitin.  lol  Where would we get a couple o' laurel wreaths?  I suppose just nice summer dress would suffice.

          As for the books vs. movie:  There were aspects to both that I really liked.  I actually liked the choice of Uma Thurman to portray the gorgon Medusa.  She was deliciously evil in the tradition of wicked Disney sorceresses, plus it was a good reminder that the woman who was Medusa... virgin priestess in service to Athena... was once devastatingly beautiful.  As for the fresh vs. salt water thingy:  Even though Percy is a son of Poseidon, through out the five books he has both command over all elements of water and, simultaneously, is not always deferred to by the spirits and lesser gods of fresh water bodies.  There are lots of other things and, in the books, Hades is not quite the baddy he is otherwise, and elsewhere, portrayed.  Persephone, in the books, is more like a bored housewife / queen who is actually rather annoyed by her insistent mother, Demeter, than she is a prisoner of her husband.

          I hated "Clash Of The Titan."  I disliked the original.  I even read the novel, back during the first movie, but it was no better.  Where were the friggin' Titans?  There was no clash with the Titans.  The title implies the war between the Titans and the Olympians, doesn't it?  What the freak was up with that whole man-refuting-the-authority-of-the-gods bullshit?  Plus, Perseus never got his tunic off.  Sorry.  Just a gay man's perspective.  I got more Greek history / theology out of "300"... and that ain't sayin' much.  Better to just enjoy "Meet The Spartans."

          Speaking of "300," etc:  What in Tartarus is up with so many references to the Pythia in movies, etc, and no love for Apollo who set up the Oracle in Delphi?  Of course, there were other Oracles, but it has always been my impression that the Oracle refers to the Pythia at Delphi.  The Oracles given at Delphi were said to give messages from "the gods," but seldom is Apollo mentioned specifically, even though it was he who established the Pythia... thus named in honor of the great serpent he'd slain where his temple still stands.

          Ah, well.  Non-sequiter:  Is it me, or are Hellenic Polytheists about as rare among modern "Pagans" as gay / black Republicans or honest politicians?

          Dan