Greetings

  • Daniel M
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 9:41 AM
      My name is Daniel or, in Greek Ntanel. I suppose I should have written this post first, before I typed out my verbose rant about the History Channel and their almost-not-insulting Judeo-Christian bent on sacred accounts of Greek myth. Anyway, howdy!
    • Rob Henderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 1:40 PM
        At 12:41 PM 8/2/2010, you wrote:
        >My name is Daniel or, in Greek Ntanel. I suppose I should have
        >written this post first, before I typed out my verbose rant about
        >the History Channel and their almost-not-insulting Judeo-Christian
        >bent on sacred accounts of Greek myth. Anyway, howdy!

        No worries, I was "inspired" enough to do a blog entry on just the
        Hades episode ( http://robslg.bravejournal.com/entry/38796 ) and
        actually managed to edit it (mostly removing the swear words) into a
        paper that helped me earn First Circle in the ADF Clergy Training
        Program. So at least one good thing did come from that show. >8)

        Khaire,

        Rob
      • Daniel M
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2 3:44 PM
          --- In michigan-hellenists@yahoogroups.com, Rob Henderson <kargach@...> wrote:

          > At 12:41 PM 8/2/2010, you wrote:
          > >My name is Daniel or, in Greek Ntanel. I suppose I should have
          > >written this post first, before I typed out my verbose rant about
          > >the History Channel and their almost-not-insulting Judeo-Christian
          > >bent on sacred accounts of Greek myth. Anyway, howdy!
          >
          > No worries, I was "inspired" enough to do a blog entry on just the
          > Hades episode ( http://robslg.bravejournal.com/entry/38796 ) and
          > actually managed to edit it (mostly removing the swear words) into a
          > paper that helped me earn First Circle in the ADF Clergy Training
          > Program. So at least one good thing did come from that show. >8)
          >
          > Khaire,
          >
          > Rob

          Hi, Rob. What exactly is the ADF Clergy Training Program? Yes, the Hades episode is on this dvd as well. Naturally, the usual comparisons with the Christian "Devil" end of that pantheon were abundant. It's very popular to depict the God of the Underworld as somehow evil, since he presides over death. I had read a few accounts, however, that he deliberately gave up his lion's share of ruling the universe because he so detested the parliamentary bickering in the Olympian Senate. In other words, there are some accounts in which Hades chose to rule the Underworld and, thus, preside over the judgment of the dead. He created his own kingdom in the likeness of Olympus, but having things more to his own liking. Also, what nobody ever mentions, is that in the personage of the god Pluto, Hades is a god of material abundance and fertility... since all of the wealth, metals, jewels are mined from the bowels of the earth... his kingdom.

          But I'm sure you knew all that. :-)

        • Rob Henderson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2 4:30 PM
            At 06:44 PM 8/2/2010, you wrote:
            >Hi, Rob. What exactly is the ADF Clergy Training Program? Yes, the
            >Hades episode is on this dvd as well. Naturally, the usual
            >comparisons with the Christian "Devil" end of that pantheon were
            >abundant. It's very popular to depict the God of the Underworld as
            >somehow evil, since he presides over death. I had read a few
            >accounts, however, that he deliberately gave up his lion's share of
            >ruling the universe because he so detested the parliamentary
            >bickering in the Olympian Senate. In other words, there are some
            >accounts in which Hades chose to rule the Underworld and, thus,
            >preside over the judgment of the dead. He created his own kingdom
            >in the likeness of Olympus, but having things more to his own
            >liking. Also, what nobody ever mentions, is that in the personage
            >of the god Pluto, Hades is a god of material abundance and
            >fertility... since all of the wealth, metals, jewels are mined from
            >the bowels of the earth... his kingdom.
            >
            >But I'm sure you knew all that. :-)

            Yah, I've discussed that one to death already, and will do so again
            in a few weeks at Detroit Pagan Pride Day. Well, it gets me a free
            admission anyway. (Wait, what do you mean it's free? >8)

            More info on ADF's Clergy and other training programs (I wish there
            was more info on the part of the site that non-members could see):
            http://www.adf.org/training/overview/

            Khaire,

            Rob
          • Daniel M
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5 11:17 AM
              Hey, Rob,
              Thanks for all of the 411. It's so nice to be able to talk to people
              who take the Greek gods and philosophies seriously. I've always been
              attracted to the Greeks, their history and their stories of old. Weird,
              really, because I'm largely Anglo-Celtic in family origin and you'd
              think I'd be more attracted to the Wiccan end of things. And, of
              course, when I say "Wicca," I refer to the "orthodoxy" of the religion
              being born largely of North-Western European extraction. Most that
              I've known, anyway, more tend to follow the Celtic or Teutonic
              pantheons. Indeed, for most Pagans (capital "P"), the Greek divinities
              are merely further extensions of the God and Goddess aspects but are not
              venerated strictly as a pantheon unto itself. As a result, at times,
              I've felt somewhat marginalized among fellow Pagans... at least insofar
              as serious discussion about the individual Greek deities and etc.

              Indeed, I'd started along my own path toward worship of the Big 12 (and
              subsequent minor gods / goddesses as well) from the very beginning of my
              spiritual quest into Paganism. Artemis / Diana is a heavy in general
              Pagan circles and, almost more as a consort, her twin Apollo as well.
              Strangely, it's a bitch to find any decent idols, jewelry or imagery for
              religious use, or just an outward show of piety, of these two deities.
              You can find imagery, etc, of Cerridwen, and the Green Man like it's
              coming out of one's arse, but seldom good representations of the Greeks.
              Which is why, as an artist, I usually supply my own.

              It was serendipity, however, that I discovered two small plaster busts
              at my sister's which she wound up giving me. I recognized them
              immediately as replicas of museum pieces... images of Artemis and
              Apollon. It was just weird. By then, I had already begun my fervent
              study and worship of the Greek Divine, and the twin archers were already
              my patrons... for individual reasons. It was a sensation to stumble
              across these regal facsimiles of ancient artifacts. My sis has a booth
              at an antique mall in our home town. She'd picked out the busts because
              they were derived from the sort of Neo-Classic Art Neuveau come back of
              the 1970's and her whole house is done up in 60's-70's "kitch." I
              cleaned up the old busts, painted them flat marble white and embellished
              them with gold and silver, respectively.

              I guess, though, it really isn't easy for any of us who do not worship
              among the Big Five faiths. Indeed, unless you are Jewish, Christian,
              Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim, you are not recognized as a "legitimate"
              faith and not taken seriously by anyone. Even worse is how most any
              faith outside of the Orthodox Church is not recognized by law in Greece
              itself! I have been reading fervently about the Hellenic
              Reconstructionists and the struggle for those who wish to worship under
              or even just gain knowledge about the ancient Greek religious culture.
              It is dreadful that the birthplace of Democracy is held in thrall by the
              Church. There is no separation of Church and State in Greece, only a
              very loose semblance of democracy and a strangle hold on the
              understanding of various philosophies... in the very region where
              philosophy was born!

              But, I digress. Anyway, it's nice to know others who venerate the Greek
              Pantheon as I do.
              wrote:

              > At 06:44 PM 8/2/2010, you wrote:
              > >Hi, Rob. What exactly is the ADF Clergy Training Program? Yes, the
              > >Hades episode is on this dvd as well. Naturally, the usual
              > >comparisons with the Christian "Devil" end of that pantheon were
              > >abundant. It's very popular to depict the God of the Underworld as
              > >somehow evil, since he presides over death. I had read a few
              > >accounts, however, that he deliberately gave up his lion's share of
              > >ruling the universe because he so detested the parliamentary
              > >bickering in the Olympian Senate. In other words, there are some
              > >accounts in which Hades chose to rule the Underworld and, thus,
              > >preside over the judgment of the dead. He created his own kingdom
              > >in the likeness of Olympus, but having things more to his own
              > >liking. Also, what nobody ever mentions, is that in the personage
              > >of the god Pluto, Hades is a god of material abundance and
              > >fertility... since all of the wealth, metals, jewels are mined from
              > >the bowels of the earth... his kingdom.
              > >
              > >But I'm sure you knew all that. :-)
              >
              > Yah, I've discussed that one to death already, and will do so again
              > in a few weeks at Detroit Pagan Pride Day. Well, it gets me a free
              > admission anyway. (Wait, what do you mean it's free? >8)
              >
              > More info on ADF's Clergy and other training programs (I wish there
              > was more info on the part of the site that non-members could see):
              > http://www.adf.org/training/overview/
              >
              > Khaire,
              >
              > Rob

            • jonbowen526
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2011
                I am new to the group, but not new the comunity. I have been a pagan for over 20 years, and have been working with the Greek gods the whole time. I live in Royal Oak, and normaly attend some of the local events.
                Though lately it seem such events grow fewer, and fewer.
                So I have decied to put on a Ritual on Feb 7 to celibrate the Birthday of Apollo, and his return to delphi.. More details coming soon.