Re: Zapnspark's file updates 1-30-08

  • clintrubber
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Zap,

      Thanks for responding.

      OK, it'll indeed always be something best tried oneself and opinions
      are opinions, but as I understand it there's not something changing
      night & day (understandable as the electronics won't be the most
      determining ingedrients).

      I'll keep in mind the lowered noise level the described mods give
      though; so far no problems here (loud sources), but once more silent
      stuff comes around it might be worth while to do the changes
      (ha, and risking I having yet another opened mic around instead of
      it being ready fore use ;-)

      Thanks,

      Peter

      --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Jim G." <zapnspark@...> wrote:

      > Peter,
      >
      > You are really trying to get me in trouble! ;-)
      > What sorts of things affect the sound of a microphone?
      > It's not a lame question.
      > One of the older gurus answered that question with "damn near
      > everything"
      > It's a question that causes heated, even nasty debates.
      > The debates I have seen, generate lots of heat and very little
      light.
      > The subjective types (trust your ears) claim high end (expensive)
      > caps, resistors, transformers, tubes, transistors all make a
      subtle
      > differences in the sound of a microphone.
      > The capsule, grillwork, body and circuitry can make measurable
      > differences.
      >
      > I have modified 2 SP-1's, 2 MXL V-57's and an MXL V63M.
      > I'm firmly in the empirical camp and I can say that the mods have
      > resulted in quieter microphones.
      > I'm happy with that.
      > I'll leave the fighting about microphone part mods, and
      the "sound"
      > they might impart, to the experts.
      >
      > ZAP
      >
      > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "clintrubber"
      > <chickennerdpig@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the updates, nice to have this kind of info well-
      > > documented.
      > >
      > > If I recall it correctly by reading here & there, the effect of
      the
      > > various changes was both subtle but worth while...
      > >
      > > So as lame as this question is and as much as it depends on the
      > > situation they're used in...
      > >
      > > ...how would you summarize the effect on sound of all mods
      together
      > > on the MCA SP-1 ?
      > > I'm satisfied with the pair I have now but for comparison I
      might
      > > get me a second pair to mod.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Peter

    • Jim G.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
        Peter,

        I wish I had found these links before I responded to you.
        http://tinyurl.com/2ml27l
        http://tinyurl.com/2kuhlh
        MP3 files of the MCA SP-1 unmodified vs the same microphone modified
        by Jim Williams.
        I thought this might interest you (and others).

        <chickennerdpig@...> wrote:

        > Hi Zap,
        >
        > Thanks for responding.
        >
        > OK, it'll indeed always be something best tried oneself and
        opinions
        > are opinions, but as I understand it there's not something changing
        > night & day (understandable as the electronics won't be the most
        > determining ingedrients).
        >
        > I'll keep in mind the lowered noise level the described mods give
        > though; so far no problems here (loud sources), but once more
        silent
        > stuff comes around it might be worth while to do the changes
        > (ha, and risking I having yet another opened mic around instead of
        > it being ready fore use ;-)
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Peter
        >

        > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Jim G." <zapnspark@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Peter,
        > >
        > > You are really trying to get me in trouble! ;-)
        > > What sorts of things affect the sound of a microphone?
        > > It's not a lame question.
        > > One of the older gurus answered that question with "damn near
        > > everything"
        > > It's a question that causes heated, even nasty debates.
        > > The debates I have seen, generate lots of heat and very little
        > light.
        > > The subjective types (trust your ears) claim high end (expensive)
        > > caps, resistors, transformers, tubes, transistors all make a
        > subtle
        > > differences in the sound of a microphone.
        > > The capsule, grillwork, body and circuitry can make measurable
        > > differences.
        > >
        > > I have modified 2 SP-1's, 2 MXL V-57's and an MXL V63M.
        > > I'm firmly in the empirical camp and I can say that the mods have
        > > resulted in quieter microphones.
        > > I'm happy with that.
        > > I'll leave the fighting about microphone part mods, and
        > the "sound"
        > > they might impart, to the experts.
        > >
        > > ZAP
        > >
        > > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "clintrubber"
        > > <chickennerdpig@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for the updates, nice to have this kind of info well-
        > > > documented.
        > > >
        > > > If I recall it correctly by reading here & there, the effect of
        > the
        > > > various changes was both subtle but worth while...
        > > >
        > > > So as lame as this question is and as much as it depends on the
        > > > situation they're used in...
        > > >
        > > > ...how would you summarize the effect on sound of all mods
        > together
        > > > on the MCA SP-1 ?
        > > > I'm satisfied with the pair I have now but for comparison I
        > might
        > > > get me a second pair to mod.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Peter

      • willie.edwards63
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
          Thanks for the referrences to the VO Mic Test sites. Yes, the
          difference to the SP-1 after the modifications was substantial. We have
          sent pictures of the schematic circuits to Jim Williams of the new MXL
          V88 mic with the 32mm diaphram. We asked his opinion if he thought
          modification would make a difference in this similar circuit. (although
          I cannot confirm if it's a Schoeps circuit.)
          We will post what he says...and may go ahead and make his recommended
          modifications if he thinks it will make a big difference.
          Thanks again. WE