Re: [micbuilders] Re: Photos of mic build with WM-61 capsule

  • William Morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      Wayne: Just listened with my crappy JBL computer speakers - sounds better than anything else I have heard thru them.... Can you tell me exactly what WM-61 configuration you are using or point me to the correct messages in Mic builders ? I do some live field recording and this one sounds good for guitar at minimum... can you try recording a pipe organ- there is more frequency content (Low & High ) there........Right now I have most of the components to build a triplet of the Rickshaw ribbon mics, but I have not had the time to get em done....when I do I'll post a recording or 2 as well........thanks & happy new year ! Bill Morris Classic Audio Service

      airtime52 <wyentis@...> wrote: OK folks, here's a link to a website where you can download a sample of my WM-61 mic
      listening to an acoustic guitar, an old beat up Kay of unknown vintage, played by an
      associate who knows how to play. This is unprocessed sound, coming from the guitar
      into the 61, then into a Black Lion modded preamp on my 828mk2 and into Digital
      performer. No processing used other than to convert to mp3.

      This website is just a test for me, having no experience in finding a sound file hosting
      website. If anyone has any suggestions for another, please let me know.

      http://www.bestsharing.com/f/tnwvb387952

      Thanks,

      Wayne

      --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "airtime52" <wyentis@...> wrote:

      > Yes, the flexible tubing (refrigerator water supply tubing) does reduce handling noise
      > significantly. It also resists damage to the capsule if the mic is dropped. This mic
      turned
      > out to make very nice recordings. As soon as I figure out how I'll post a sound clip.
      >
      > Wayne
      >
      > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Interesting approach with the plastic tubing. Does it reduce handling
      > > noise from the body?
      > >
      > > -Scott

    • airtime52
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Bill, the electronic circuit I used with this microphone is described in several versions by
        zapnspark here in this forum. It's basically the classic Schoeps phantom powered balanced output
        circuit. It's not difficult to build, but I say that after 50 years of breadboarding experience and
        your mileage may vary.

        Breadboarding?

        I'm very happy with the performance of this microphone, especially for guitars and similar
        stringed instruments. It's not likely that I'll get a pipe organ into my studio, nor that I'll get the
        recording equipment used for the guitar test sound bite into a venue with a pipe organ. Sorry, I'm
        not going to record a pipe organ.

        That said, the WM-61 is a cool microphone capsule, it sounds good in many applications and has
        a very smooth and wide frequency response. I'm confident that it would work well recording a
        pipe organ. Its omnidirectional aspects can be modified by how it's packaged. It's too noisy, but if
        used right the noise is buried beneath rich good sounding sound.

        Wayne

        --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, William Morris <classicaudioservice@...> wrote:

        > Wayne: Just listened with my crappy JBL computer speakers - sounds better than anything else
        I have heard thru them.... Can you tell me exactly what WM-61 configuration you are using or
        point me to the correct messages in Mic builders ? I do some live field recording and this one
        sounds good for guitar at minimum... can you try recording a pipe organ- there is more
        frequency content (Low & High ) there........Right now I have most of the components to build a
        triplet of the Rickshaw ribbon mics, but I have not had the time to get em done....when I do I'll
        post a recording or 2 as well........thanks & happy new year ! Bill Morris Classic Audio Service

        > airtime52 <wyentis@...> wrote: OK folks, here's a link to a website where you can
        download a sample of my WM-61 mic
        > listening to an acoustic guitar, an old beat up Kay of unknown vintage, played by an
        > associate who knows how to play. This is unprocessed sound, coming from the guitar
        > into the 61, then into a Black Lion modded preamp on my 828mk2 and into Digital
        > performer. No processing used other than to convert to mp3.
        >
        > This website is just a test for me, having no experience in finding a sound file hosting
        > website. If anyone has any suggestions for another, please let me know.
        >
        > http://www.bestsharing.com/f/tnwvb387952
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Wayne
        >
        > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "airtime52" <wyentis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes, the flexible tubing (refrigerator water supply tubing) does reduce handling noise
        > > significantly. It also resists damage to the capsule if the mic is dropped. This mic
        > turned
        > > out to make very nice recordings. As soon as I figure out how I'll post a sound clip.
        > >
        > > Wayne
        > >
        > > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Interesting approach with the plastic tubing. Does it reduce handling
        > > > noise from the body?
        > > >
        > > > -Scott

      • William Morris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          Thanks Wayne......I'll check for the other posts...I was particularly looking for the schematic.... Thanks again and happy new year Bill

          airtime52 <wyentis@...> wrote: Hi Bill, the electronic circuit I used with this microphone is described in several versions by