Re: [micbuilders] Re: Creative Soundcard re-sampling

  • Neil Tungate
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
      Lars Tofastrud wrote:
      > I got my latest PC with a Creative X-Fi audio card in it and it sounds
      > absolutely horrible! Direct comparisons with an older RME PCI card and
      > a PreSonus Firestudio (that I don't consider real high-end either but
      > it is excelent for the money) leaves the X-Fi in the dust. The X-Fi
      > should really cost $2 but sinse they spend thousands of manhours
      > programming "audio enhancing DSP" functions instead of getting the
      > soundcard right it costs an outrageous $100. Of course uninstalling the
      > card and all the software was not an easy task either. Throwing it in
      > the trash was very easy.

      To be fair, probably the largest number of PC users outside of offices
      is the gaming community. All that effort spent on DSP on sound cards is
      for their benefit rather than audiophiles :)

      I use a Creative Audigy sound card which has an outboard box providing
      useful connectivity, and helps to keep noise levels to a low level. Yes,
      the drivers provide all the DSP stuff, but it also sounds reasonably
      competent.

      --
      Neil Tungate
      http://www.skipper.org.uk