Re: RF mic

  • blue_luke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Peet" <richpeet@...> wrote:

      > This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.
      >
      > I don't have a clue about the person or circuit. Just posted as a FYI.
      > I suspect he would have had better results with a smaller capsule.
      >
      > http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html
      > Rich Peet

      But then I ask, why do you think he would have better result from a
      smaller capsule?
      I do not see how, and I am very interested by this design as it is
      reproducible in a basement.
      Of course it is by far away from a battery and a panasonic based type
      of design, and actually I do not think I would succeed myself in
      building such a unit but it is very interesting nonetheless.

      Actually this guy is a first class designer, for having seen other
      designs he published and I think he also published a very good
      balanced drive circuit on ROD Elliot's site (let me see...) here it is
      ! go see http://sound.westhost.com/balance.htm
      And by the way, you owe it to yourself to visit this site! Rod Elliot
      is a very down (under) to earth anti-guru type of guy and there is
      really a lot to be learned from his site for DIY.
    • Richard Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
        > This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.

        http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html

        This is a good DIY implementation of the Senheisser circuit. It is RF internally only. See the Senheisser MKH service sheets in Files for the originals.

        An alternative RF type circuit which shares the same advantages is Baxandall's circuit in my directory.

      • Rich Peet
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
          Sorry Richard I forgot. Thanks for the heads up.
          Rich

          --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <ricardo@...> wrote:

          > > This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.
          >
          > http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html
          >
          > This is a good DIY implementation of the Senheisser circuit. It is
          RF internally only. See the Senheisser MKH service sheets in Files
          for the originals.

          > An alternative RF type circuit which shares the same advantages is
          Baxandall's circuit in my directory.

          > --
          4/07/07 13:40

        • Rich Peet
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
            --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "blue_luke" <blue_luke@...> wrote:

            I can not justify a smaller capsule based on physics or quotes. It
            just is observation that in low noise mics everyone seems to come
            around with time back to capsules about 1".

            Don't be scared of this circuit as it does have a low part count and
            the coils can be tuned on the fly to get them going right.

            Rich

            > But then I ask, why do you think he would have better result from a
            > smaller capsule?
            > I do not see how, and I am very interested by this design as it is
            > reproducible in a basement.
            > Of course it is by far away from a battery and a panasonic based type
            > of design, and actually I do not think I would succeed myself in
            > building such a unit but it is very interesting nonetheless.
            >
            > Actually this guy is a first class designer, for having seen other
            > designs he published and I think he also published a very good
            > balanced drive circuit on ROD Elliot's site (let me see...) here it is
            > ! go see http://sound.westhost.com/balance.htm
            > And by the way, you owe it to yourself to visit this site! Rod Elliot
            > is a very down (under) to earth anti-guru type of guy and there is
            > really a lot to be learned from his site for DIY.

          • hansalbertsson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
              Small capsules are easier to make more ideally omni and with wide &
              flat response, but have more noise.

              A large capsule will have lower noise, in terms of equivalent noise
              due to air molecular movement:
              The signal is coherent, and adds linearly over the diaphragm, while
              the acoustical noise is random across
              the capsule membrane and will add as RMS. Every doubling of surface
              area lowers relative noise by 3 db.

              A large capsule at the end of a cylinder will have a pressure zone
              buildup for wavelengths comparable to the
              membrane diameter (if circular) for frontal sound sources, and will
              therefore have a less than ideal HF response
              with some HF directionality, as well. HF being about > 10 kHz for a 1"
              membrane.

              If the membrane is very thin and has very narrow edge mount regions,
              this effect is lower and easier to combat.

              Even with end-address cylindrical mikes, a properly designed so-called
              nose-cone can make the resulting setup very omni, but then the system
              tends towards a circular slit rather than a single surface, which has
              interference problems of its own.

              Good nose-cone designs have been made using up to about 3/4 inch dia
              cylinders. A few AKG models come to mind.