RF mic

  • Rich Peet
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.

      I don't have a clue about the person or circuit. Just posted as a FYI.
      I suspect he would have had better results with a smaller capsule.

      http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html
      Rich Peet
    • blue_luke
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Peet" <richpeet@...> wrote:

        > This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.
        >
        > I don't have a clue about the person or circuit. Just posted as a FYI.
        > I suspect he would have had better results with a smaller capsule.
        >
        > http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html
        > Rich Peet

        But then I ask, why do you think he would have better result from a
        smaller capsule?
        I do not see how, and I am very interested by this design as it is
        reproducible in a basement.
        Of course it is by far away from a battery and a panasonic based type
        of design, and actually I do not think I would succeed myself in
        building such a unit but it is very interesting nonetheless.

        Actually this guy is a first class designer, for having seen other
        designs he published and I think he also published a very good
        balanced drive circuit on ROD Elliot's site (let me see...) here it is
        ! go see http://sound.westhost.com/balance.htm
        And by the way, you owe it to yourself to visit this site! Rod Elliot
        is a very down (under) to earth anti-guru type of guy and there is
        really a lot to be learned from his site for DIY.
      • Richard Lee
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
          > This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.

          http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html

          This is a good DIY implementation of the Senheisser circuit. It is RF internally only. See the Senheisser MKH service sheets in Files for the originals.

          An alternative RF type circuit which shares the same advantages is Baxandall's circuit in my directory.

        • Rich Peet
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
            Sorry Richard I forgot. Thanks for the heads up.
            Rich

            --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <ricardo@...> wrote:

            > > This is the first RF mic I have seen diy.
            >
            > http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/HF-Mic/HF-Mic.html
            >
            > This is a good DIY implementation of the Senheisser circuit. It is
            RF internally only. See the Senheisser MKH service sheets in Files
            for the originals.

            > An alternative RF type circuit which shares the same advantages is
            Baxandall's circuit in my directory.

            > --
            4/07/07 13:40

          • Rich Peet
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
              --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "blue_luke" <blue_luke@...> wrote:

              I can not justify a smaller capsule based on physics or quotes. It
              just is observation that in low noise mics everyone seems to come
              around with time back to capsules about 1".

              Don't be scared of this circuit as it does have a low part count and
              the coils can be tuned on the fly to get them going right.

              Rich

              > But then I ask, why do you think he would have better result from a
              > smaller capsule?
              > I do not see how, and I am very interested by this design as it is
              > reproducible in a basement.
              > Of course it is by far away from a battery and a panasonic based type
              > of design, and actually I do not think I would succeed myself in
              > building such a unit but it is very interesting nonetheless.
              >
              > Actually this guy is a first class designer, for having seen other
              > designs he published and I think he also published a very good
              > balanced drive circuit on ROD Elliot's site (let me see...) here it is
              > ! go see http://sound.westhost.com/balance.htm
              > And by the way, you owe it to yourself to visit this site! Rod Elliot
              > is a very down (under) to earth anti-guru type of guy and there is
              > really a lot to be learned from his site for DIY.

            • hansalbertsson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
                Small capsules are easier to make more ideally omni and with wide &
                flat response, but have more noise.

                A large capsule will have lower noise, in terms of equivalent noise
                due to air molecular movement:
                The signal is coherent, and adds linearly over the diaphragm, while
                the acoustical noise is random across
                the capsule membrane and will add as RMS. Every doubling of surface
                area lowers relative noise by 3 db.

                A large capsule at the end of a cylinder will have a pressure zone
                buildup for wavelengths comparable to the
                membrane diameter (if circular) for frontal sound sources, and will
                therefore have a less than ideal HF response
                with some HF directionality, as well. HF being about > 10 kHz for a 1"
                membrane.

                If the membrane is very thin and has very narrow edge mount regions,
                this effect is lower and easier to combat.

                Even with end-address cylindrical mikes, a properly designed so-called
                nose-cone can make the resulting setup very omni, but then the system
                tends towards a circular slit rather than a single surface, which has
                interference problems of its own.

                Good nose-cone designs have been made using up to about 3/4 inch dia
                cylinders. A few AKG models come to mind.