particle velocity microphones

  • Kim Cascone
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14 6:52 PM
      has anyone attempted to build a 'particle velocity' microphone?
      I found these plans below which require cannibalizing a Radio Shack
      electret capsule:
      http://tinyurl.com/ytusnd

    • userno232000
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18 7:06 AM
        --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Kim Cascone <kim@...> wrote:

        > has anyone attempted to build a 'particle velocity' microphone?
        > I found these plans below which require cannibalizing a Radio Shack
        > electret capsule:
        > http://tinyurl.com/ytusnd

        The Primo capsules come apart with a small spanner wrench. It looks
        like you might be able to cobble one of these without any custom
        tooling.
      • Robert Munger
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18 9:32 AM
          You might want to look at the book "the secret life of plants"

          >From: "userno232000" <scott.wurcer@...>
          >To: micbuilders@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [micbuilders] Re: particle velocity microphones
          >Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:06:18 -0000
          >
          >--- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Kim Cascone <kim@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > has anyone attempted to build a 'particle velocity' microphone?
          > > I found these plans below which require cannibalizing a Radio Shack
          > > electret capsule:
          > > http://tinyurl.com/ytusnd

          >The Primo capsules come apart with a small spanner wrench. It looks
          >like you might be able to cobble one of these without any custom
          >tooling.

          More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
        • umashankar mantravadi
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18 9:41 AM
            yes i had, almost twenty years ago, using extremely cheap omni capsules. i was trying to create a cardioid capsule, and ended up with a figure of eight (another name for particle velocity microphone). i did it much more simply, removed the back pcb and the plastic housing surrounding the fet, and crimpted it back, quite crudely, with a needlenose pliers, and it worked as advertised. if doing it today, i will do it much more neatly.

            maybe i will, and post some photos. i have to post my soundfield mike photos anyway. yes i have a working one, and another in the making.

            umashankar

            To: micbuilders@yahoogroups.comFrom: scott.wurcer@...: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:06:18 +0000Subject: [micbuilders] Re: particle velocity microphones

            --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Kim Cascone <kim@...> wrote:>> has anyone attempted to build a 'particle velocity' microphone?> I found these plans below which require cannibalizing a Radio Shack > electret capsule:> http://tinyurl.com/ytusnd> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>The Primo capsules come apart with a small spanner wrench. It looks like you might be able to cobble one of these without any custom tooling.