Re: [micbuilders] Rode NT-4 Mod okay?

  • rhcamp@rcn.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi All,

      The new digital mic spec for phantom powering has some real power behind it. It
      is, of course, XLR connector-compatible. However, if the mic XLR connector
      engages one pin at a time, even an extremely brief period of phantom imbalance
      can damage a mic circuit. My recollection is that additional external resistance
      reduces this risk. David Josephson is the expert here, and hedoes read this list.

      It may also be a pad, as you suggest, to make the NT4 output similar to other mics.

      BTW, I love my NT4!

      Dick Campbell

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2005
        From: Dick Campbell rhcamp@... Sent: September 01, 2005 09:27

        > Hi All,

        > The new digital mic spec for phantom powering has some real
        > power behind it. It is, of course, XLR connector-compatible.
        ----<snip

        Where can I get info on the requirements for this new Phantom power? I do
        not even have the spec for the old Phantom power so that info would also be
        great. (I am new to the recording industry but not to acoustics and
        electronics)
        TIA
        Bertho
      • Rob Danielson
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2005
          We bought a bunch of NT-4's on the basis on the
          NT-3's and was very disappointed to find the
          ouput was low in comparison. The jumper solves
          this. The circuit may not be just a pad as you
          say. Interesting there's a chance of a phantom
          circuit releated spike with some mics. Wouldn't
          one expect to find a similar circuit built into
          Rode's 5pinXLR-> 2-XLR cable then? There is none
          in that cable, only in the unbalanced one
          5pinXLR->3.5mm (powering from 9 volt internal
          battery). I can try to get a camera that will
          take closer pictures of the circuit if that would
          help. Thanks! Rob D.

          = =

          --
          Rob Danielson
          Film Department
          University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
        • Jason May
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2005
            Phantom power is generally 48v at .4 ma

            Jason

          • rhcamp@rcn.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 2, 2005
              A standard 48V phantim source can deliver 11-12ma and still have a usable
              voltage to operate the mic circuit.

              I have not read the digital mic standard in a while, but I recall something like
              12V at 100ma (or more) was to be made available. I know the mixing desk
              manufacturers were upset over the power supply requirements for, say a
              32-channel mixer.

              Dick

              >> ----<snip
              >>
              >> Where can I get info on the requirements for this new Phantom power? I do
              >> not even have the spec for the old Phantom power so that info would also be
              >> great. (I am new to the recording industry but not to acoustics and
              >> electronics)
              >> TIA
              >> Bertho

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • kennjava
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 2, 2005
                Can you sketch out the pad circuit in the cable and post it? Does the
                pad also block DC from the MD recorder? Also, gotta link to the
                original article on the HiMD forum?

                For bonus marks and to skip the final exam, anyone got a schematic of
                the NT-4, so you can see what it's output looks like?

                Chances are your shorting mod is just fine, but depending on the pad
                circuit, and the reason for its existance, you may find that either
                the pad can be completely removed, or you can get 90% of the gain jump
                by using resistors (eg 100 or 470 ohms) and retain some measure of
                load protection, if that's required.

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2, 2005

                  http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT-4ConnectorCircuit&ModSm.jpg

                  >Does the
                  >pad also block DC from the MD recorder?

                  I don't think so. When using another cable without the pcb there seem
                  to be no issues created between the pre circuit DC and the NT-4, at
                  least with the Sony HiMD and an older MT-90 Sharp MD recorder I tried.

                  >Also, gotta link to the
                  >original article on the HiMD forum?

                  Allan finding the pad was part of an off-list discussion growing from
                  this string
                  http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=10744&st=30&p=66612&#entry66612

                  >For bonus marks and to skip the final exam, anyone got a schematic of
                  >the NT-4, so you can see what it's output looks like?

                  I haven't messed with taking apart the mic yet, because it comes with
                  a standard , balanced xlr-5 -> xlr-2 break-out cable without the pcb
                  pad for reference. I used it to double check the hi and lo pins.

                  >Chances are your shorting mod is just fine, but depending on the pad
                  >circuit, and the reason for its existance,

                  That's the puzzling question to me,.. Why is there a pad with 12mv/Pa
                  output? To protect some kind of unusual mic input?

                  > you may find that either
                  >the pad can be completely removed,

                  cleaner for sure. The solder points are easy access and the jumpers
                  might be easier for folks who wouldn't want to take it all apart, or
                  test it to their own satisfaction first. Like me! I have 30 to do
                  unless we can think of some reason not to,.. Rob D.

                  >or you can get 90% of the gain jump
                  >by using resistors (eg 100 or 470 ohms) and retain some measure of
                  >load protection, if that's required.
                  >
                  >--- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Rob Danielson <type@c...> wrote:
                  >> Allan Haighton, on the HiMD Forum list, discovered a pad built into
                  >> the 5pin xlr connector Rode supplies with their NT-4 stereo mics for
                  >> use with PIP 3.5mm unbalanced mic inputs.
                  >>
                  >> I jumped the 4-10K resistors in the pad (black and red wire)
                  >> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT4_cable_PCB_Mod_CU_02.jpg
                  >>
                  >> and the gain increases ~12dB-- matching that of the standard XLR
                  >> cable (when powered with the portable phantom supply). As best as I
                  >> can tell, there's a 10K resistor in series between both the low and
                  >> high balanced outputs from the mic and the tip and ring of the 3.5mm
                  >> plug as well as a 10K resistor between these ouputs and the shield.
                  >>
                  >> I'd like to modify our 30 NT-4's to tap this extra gain for use with
                  >> our HiMD recorders. I wrote Rode tech support asking them to comment
                  >> on the mod but they've not gotten back. The signals are not too hot
                  >> for the recorders. Is there any problem with the mod that anyone can
                  >> foresee? Rob D.
                  >> --
                  >> Rob Danielson
                  >> Film Department
                  >> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • umashankar mantravadi
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2, 2005
                    looks to me like a wrong cable. this is the sort you would use to take a
                    line level signal to a mic input.

                    umashankar

                  • Rob Danielson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2005
                      The unbalanced adapter cable with the pcb which Rode supplies with
                      the NT-4 attenuates ~12dB. Here's another picture that shows two of
                      the four tiny rectangles fairly well under (my) red jumper wire.
                      http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT4_cable_PCB_Mod_CU_07.jpg

                      All four of them have "10K" marked beside each of them on the pcb.
                      The only thing written on them is "ED1" or maybe "EDI." You can
                      barely see the other two on the other side under the black jumper. I
                      measure 10K resistance between contact #5 of the xlr-5 and the 3.5mm
                      tip and contact #1 and the ring:
                      http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT-4ConnectorCircuit&ModSm.jpg

                      I'm pretty sure I've got the wiring correct on my diagram. There are
                      only the four rectangle components I've described on the pcb. Thanks!
                      Rob D.

                      = = = =

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005
                        > Sorry no idea why I typed .4ma, my brain was not on at all. I think that the
                        > IEC standard right now allows 10ma max current draw for a mic. Though, some
                        > older mics draw very little (which is where my brain was when I wrote that).
                        >
                        > Jason
                        >

                        > A standard 48V phantim source can deliver 11-12ma and still have a usable
                        > voltage to operate the mic circuit.
                        >
                        > I have not read the digital mic standard in a while, but I recall something
                        > like
                        > 12V at 100ma (or more) was to be made available. I know the mixing desk
                        > manufacturers were upset over the power supply requirements for, say a
                        > 32-channel mixer.
                        >
                        > Dick

                      • kennjava
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005
                          Thanks for the links and your other info.

                          One thing I'm wondering about is the effect of the remaining 10K
                          resistor drawing a tiny DC current from the MD's plug-in power: would
                          this make the hookup more susceptable to crackle/scratchy noise if the
                          connectors are wiggled? So I would try first with your jumpered pad,
                          and move/wiggle/twist all connectors to see what the noise produced is
                          like, then try again with the pad completely out.

                          I'm guessing that if the Rode's output has a series capacitor, pad out
                          might be slightly less susceptable to contact noise since there would
                          be no DC current flow.

                          Good luck; let us know how you proceed.

                          ken

                          --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Rob Danielson <type@c...> wrote:
                          > The unbalanced adapter cable with the pcb which Rode supplies with
                          > the NT-4 attenuates ~12dB. Here's another picture that shows two of
                          > the four tiny rectangles fairly well under (my) red jumper wire.
                          > http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT4_cable_PCB_Mod_CU_07.jpg
                          >
                          > All four of them have "10K" marked beside each of them on the pcb.
                          > The only thing written on them is "ED1" or maybe "EDI." You can
                          > barely see the other two on the other side under the black jumper.
                          > measure 10K resistance between contact #5 of the xlr-5 and the
                          3.5mm
                          > tip and contact #1 and the ring:
                          > http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT-4Conne
                          ctorCircuit&ModSm.jpg

                          > I'm pretty sure I've got the wiring correct on my diagram. There
                          are
                          > only the four rectangle components I've described on the pcb.
                          Thanks!
                          > Rob D.
                          >
                          > = = = =
                          >
                          > At 6:49 AM +0530 9/3/05, umashankar mantravadi wrote:
                          > >looks to me like a wrong cable. this is the sort you would use to
                          take a
                          > >line level signal to a mic input.
                          > >
                          > >umashankar

                          [ rest of old messages deleted ]

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005
                            Thank you Ken for the helpful explanation. I'll get another cable,
                            remove the pcb and compare them as you suggest. How about removing
                            the remaining resistor on each channel altogether? That's easy thing
                            to add to the mod Think this would make for more general, reliable
                            performance? And perhaps even add more gain? Rob D.

                            = = = =

                            --
                            Rob Danielson
                            Film Department
                            University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                          • David Klein
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005
                              Hey - just following along on this NT-4 mod thread. I haven't used mine for
                              a while and this prompted me to crack my [5 pin > 3.5mm] cable open. No
                              board or resistors - just straight soldering like the 5 pin > 2 XLR cable
                              that also came with.

                              I don't think I've ever used it with a PIP device. I've used the internal
                              battery while feeding a Nomad Jukebox (no PIP) and I've used real preamps
                              w/phantom.

                              Here's how my cable maps out:
                              1-shield
                              2-tip
                              3-tied to shield @ 3.5 end
                              4-ring
                              5-tied to shield @ 3.5 end

                              Looking at Rob's diagram, one of us is counting pins backwards (I was just
                              reading pin numbers off the plastic connector).

                              My NT-4 has serial #03806, manufactured 12.11.02

                              Theory 1 - perhaps this is something they introduced later on. The NT-4 has
                              an 'auto sensing' circuit in the mic to determine if it should use phantom
                              or internal battery (that way you can leave the battery inside all the
                              time). Is it possible that PIP was fooling the mic into thinking it had a
                              phantom supply which then caused the internal battery circuit to switch off
                              (and consequently not get adequate voltage from the PIP)? So maybe these
                              resistors cut the PIP voltage down to a level where it didn't trigger that
                              cutoff.

                              Theory 2 - the same but maybe it's the use of 12v phantom that fools the
                              circuit (mfr specs 48v only).

                              Theory 3 - an attempt to increase the impedance the mic sees - maybe the
                              input impedance of some recording devices (that use 3.5 mm input) is too
                              low?

                              It'd be nice to find out the real reason from Rode!

                              The 12 dB drop you're getting seems to be the right number. You get a 6 dB
                              drop by going unbalanced (only taking half the signal). Then the two 10k
                              resistors form an 'L pad' which will drop 6 dB according to the formula:
                              Attenuation (in dB) = 20 * log10 ( (R1 + R2) / R2 )

                              david
                            • Rob Danielson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005
                                Hi David--
                                Very Interesting.

                                1) Perhaps Rode changed the contact assignments a bit too. My #4 is
                                tip and #2 is ring, like the diagram.

                                2) My unit is serial #4-07679. No date I can see but we bought ours
                                in Sept 2004.

                                3) Inside, where the battery rests, is, "Phantom: P48 - P24 - P12."
                                Might this support theories #1 and #2? Of course, its working with
                                the jumper mod on the HiMD and MD PIP recorders I've got. Rob D.

                                With the clues everyone has come up with, I'll certainly be in a
                                better position to ask Rode again. Rob D.

                                = = =

                                --
                                Rob Danielson
                                Film Department
                                University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                              • poorlyconditioned
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                  --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "David Klein" <davidklein@c...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Hey - just following along on this NT-4 mod thread. I haven't used
                                  mine for
                                  > a while and this prompted me to crack my [5 pin > 3.5mm] cable
                                  open. No
                                  > board or resistors - just straight soldering like the 5 pin > 2 XLR
                                  cable
                                  > that also came with.
                                  >
                                  > I don't think I've ever used it with a PIP device. I've used the
                                  internal
                                  > battery while feeding a Nomad Jukebox (no PIP) and I've used real
                                  preamps
                                  > w/phantom.
                                  >
                                  > Here's how my cable maps out:
                                  > 1-shield
                                  > 2-tip
                                  > 3-tied to shield @ 3.5 end
                                  > 4-ring
                                  > 5-tied to shield @ 3.5 end
                                  >
                                  > Looking at Rob's diagram, one of us is counting pins backwards (I
                                  was just
                                  > reading pin numbers off the plastic connector).
                                  >
                                  > My NT-4 has serial #03806, manufactured 12.11.02
                                  >
                                  > Theory 1 - perhaps this is something they introduced later on. The
                                  NT-4 has
                                  > an 'auto sensing' circuit in the mic to determine if it should use
                                  phantom
                                  > or internal battery (that way you can leave the battery inside all
                                  the
                                  > time). Is it possible that PIP was fooling the mic into thinking it
                                  had a
                                  > phantom supply which then caused the internal battery circuit to
                                  switch off
                                  > (and consequently not get adequate voltage from the PIP)? So maybe
                                  these
                                  > resistors cut the PIP voltage down to a level where it didn't
                                  trigger that
                                  > cutoff.
                                  >
                                  > Theory 2 - the same but maybe it's the use of 12v phantom that
                                  fools the
                                  > circuit (mfr specs 48v only).
                                  >
                                  > Theory 3 - an attempt to increase the impedance the mic sees -
                                  maybe the
                                  > input impedance of some recording devices (that use 3.5 mm input)
                                  is too
                                  > low?
                                  >
                                  > It'd be nice to find out the real reason from Rode!
                                  >
                                  > The 12 dB drop you're getting seems to be the right number. You get
                                  a 6 dB
                                  > drop by going unbalanced (only taking half the signal). Then the
                                  two 10k
                                  > resistors form an 'L pad' which will drop 6 dB according to the
                                  formula:
                                  > Attenuation (in dB) = 20 * log10 ( (R1 + R2) / R2 )
                                  >
                                  > david

                                  Hey David,

                                  Do you know what is inside the mic? What kind of battery is there?
                                  How do they get voltage for the (48V?) consenser element? There
                                  should be a voltage step up circuit, right? It just seems strange to
                                  me. Most mics that have battery options (AT853, Sony ECM907, etc)
                                  have electret elements.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Richard
                                • David Klein
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                    Rob wrote:
                                    >2) My unit is serial #4-07679. No date I can see but we bought ours
                                    >in Sept 2004.

                                    heh...I was being lazy and got the serial # from the little manual that came
                                    with it - that's where the manufacturing date was hand written along with
                                    the serial #. It matches the number written inside the mic. I'm wondering
                                    if the leading '4' means 4th revision.

                                    >3) Inside, where the battery rests, is, "Phantom: P48 - P24 - P12."

                                    Actually, now that I'm checking, mine says that too. It was the manual that
                                    referred to 48v phantom. It didn't say that 12 or 24 wouldn't work, it just
                                    didn't mention them. So it sounds like all should be ok.

                                    Richard wrote:
                                    >Do you know what is inside the mic? What kind of battery is there?
                                    >How do they get voltage for the (48V?) consenser element? There
                                    >should be a voltage step up circuit, right? It just seems strange to
                                    >me. Most mics that have battery options (AT853, Sony ECM907, etc)
                                    >have electret elements.

                                    I can't quite get the board out without doing more disassembly than I care
                                    to do on a *working* mic. All I can see is caps. The battery is a standard
                                    9v. It's a really well crafted mic and layout. Is there necessarily a
                                    voltage step up? Dunno, I thought that some (many?) mics drop the 48v down.

                                    david
                                  • kennjava
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                      Hi Rob,

                                      Removing the bridging 10k resistors in your jumpered pad would be
                                      electrically the same as removing the entire pad and connecting
                                      directly, if I understand things correctly.

                                      Since others have found that their "stock" cable was a straight
                                      connection without a pad, to me that suggests that removing the pad is
                                      safe. So whether you remove the pad physically by taking it out and
                                      rconnecting straight to the connector, or electrically by jumpering
                                      the series resistor and removing the bridging resistor, it's down to
                                      what mod you want to perform 30 times :^)

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                        Great! I'm pretty confdent that the mod's mic is safe with the HiMD
                                        mic pre. There might be some other recorders that present issues.
                                        I'll write Rode again and see if they'll venture an opinion and maybe
                                        an explanation about the serial numbers. Thanks for your help
                                        everyone.! Rob D.

                                        = = =

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                          OK, my VM-61A mics and the Aura speakers came in and I have been hooking
                                          things up for initial testing. It has been a while since the last time I
                                          did some audio testing so I had to dust off some audio equipment. I have an
                                          HP-3580A audio spectrum analyzer with the tracking generator and it works
                                          nicely, except I really do not like Polaroid, or today digital snapshots, of
                                          the screen. It also has X-Y output for a chart recorder but pens and inks
                                          are dried up for a long time. I also have HP-IB bus equipment (IEEE-488)
                                          but I have switched computers and then will have to hunt down drivers and
                                          updates for the HP software and all the related headaches. I really like to
                                          properly document my testing and I am not going to draw curves by hand.

                                          So with that long introduction, I have seen many references to PC software
                                          that uses a sound card. For example True RTA, Rightmark, Visual analyzer
                                          and an overwhelming number from a Google search. The RTA's $100 I can live
                                          with if it is as good as it looks but of course, free is much better.

                                          Suggestions?
                                          Comments?
                                          Bertho
                                        • victor
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                            You can do a try for True RTA downloading it from this URL:
                                            http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/velserver/TrueRTA3.11+up3.2
                                            It is there only for a week (from today).
                                            Greetings,
                                            Victor

                                            > OK, my VM-61A mics and the Aura speakers came in and I have been hooking
                                            > things up for initial testing. It has been a while since the last time I
                                            > did some audio testing so I had to dust off some audio equipment. I have
                                            > an
                                            > HP-3580A audio spectrum analyzer with the tracking generator and it works
                                            > nicely, except I really do not like Polaroid, or today digital snapshots,
                                            > of
                                            > the screen. It also has X-Y output for a chart recorder but pens and inks
                                            > are dried up for a long time. I also have HP-IB bus equipment (IEEE-488)
                                            > but I have switched computers and then will have to hunt down drivers and
                                            > updates for the HP software and all the related headaches. I really like
                                            > properly document my testing and I am not going to draw curves by hand.
                                            >
                                            > So with that long introduction, I have seen many references to PC software
                                            > that uses a sound card. For example True RTA, Rightmark, Visual analyzer
                                            > and an overwhelming number from a Google search. The RTA's $100 I can
                                            > live
                                            > with if it is as good as it looks but of course, free is much better.
                                            >
                                            > Suggestions?
                                            > Comments?
                                            > Bertho
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Pietro M.P. Sammarco
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 4, 2005
                                              wow this looks great! But it won't work on Mac, right? maybe I'll run to my
                                              dad's pc to use it..

                                              pietro

                                              http://geocities.com/pietrosammarco
                                              http://geocities.com/chubbosound