Re: 2 TSB-165 circuit differences?

  • qw1209po
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2005
      Thanks Scott.

      Do you think Alice might benefit by having that resistor network, or
      the 1 meg trimpot, wired in? If so, how would the pot be calibrated?

      Steve

      --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@s...> wrote:
      > I asked Dave about that a while back - the slightly more complicated
      version
      > does a better job of biasing the FET, so it can handle higher SPL. The
      > version lower down on the page with a 100Meg pot is the same approach.
      >
      > -Scott
      >
      > On Thursday 05 May 2005 11:50, qw1209po wrote:
      > > I was wondering what the difference is between the two TSB-165A
      > > circuits on this page using the 2N4416A FET:
      > >
      > > http://mp3forkidz.com/mic/tsb-165a.html
      > >
      > > TIA
      > >
      > > Steve
      >
      > --
      > ---- Scott Helmke ---- scott@s... ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
      > And you'll visualize not taking any chances
      > But meet them halfway with love, peace, and persuasion
      > And expect them to rise to the occasion
      > (from "Glad Tidings", by Van Morrison)
    • dayVel
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2005
        I forgot that page was still up! Now that Mark is selling the
        capsules, I really need to get a full-on TransSound project page up. I
        wouldn't take the resistor values on that first circuit too seriously;
        they only apply for that particular 2n4416, there is a lot of
        variation from device to device.
        The trimmer pot idea is straight out of the Schoeps Collette circuit
        which somewhere in the files section here.

        --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "qw1209po" <qw1209po@y...> wrote:

        > Thanks Scott.
        >
        > Do you think Alice might benefit by having that resistor network, or
        > the 1 meg trimpot, wired in? If so, how would the pot be calibrated?
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@s...> wrote:
        > > I asked Dave about that a while back - the slightly more complicated
        > version
        > > does a better job of biasing the FET, so it can handle higher SPL.
        The
        > > version lower down on the page with a 100Meg pot is the same approach.
        > >
        > > -Scott
        > >
        > > On Thursday 05 May 2005 11:50, qw1209po wrote:
        > > > I was wondering what the difference is between the two TSB-165A
        > > > circuits on this page using the 2N4416A FET:
        > > >
        > > > http://mp3forkidz.com/mic/tsb-165a.html
        > > >
        > > > TIA
        > > >
        > > > Steve
        > >
        > > --
        > > ---- Scott Helmke ---- scott@s... ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
        > > And you'll visualize not taking any chances
        > > But meet them halfway with love, peace, and persuasion
        > > And expect them to rise to the occasion
        > > (from "Glad Tidings", by Van Morrison)
      • Scott Helmke
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2005
          I had spent some time with the breadboard trying that extra biasing stuff
          out. No audible difference, just the ability to handle SPLs a few dB
          higher. Maybe 135 instead of 130, I'd have to find and decypher my notes to
          get that right.

          Ultimately I ended up doing the simple circuit because it already sounded
          good and because it was a bit easier to implement the wiring to capsule.
          One of these days I'm going to play around with modifying the TSB-165A and
          hopefully come up with an "Alice II" design that's flatter in response and
          has that biasing stuff too. I think what I'll do there is have a 100M
          trimpot between ground and +12v.

          Calibration is tricky, though. I was using a 1" throat compression driver
          (from a PA horn) with my signal generator to get enough SPL into the
          capsule. I'd do that setup again, and watch the mic output on a scope while
          gradually turning up the signal generator output and tweaking the trimpot
          for the least amount of clipping.

          -Scott

          --
          ---- Scott Helmke ---- scott@... ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2005
            I've been linking that page for a while now, because it's the best
            "application notes" we've had for those capsules.

            -Scott