New to mic Building and wanting to make a DIY U47 in England

  • rixsta_musicman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 24, 2017

      Hi

      Just wanted to ask here if anyone knows of the best place I can find parts or even kit for making a DIY u47 Vavle and/or transistor Microphone.

      Ive built amplifiers in the past few years so know my way around the boards but well Im in England and a lot of the parts ive noticed are from US.  does anyone know goood places I can find the parts in England ?

      Thanks

    • Homero_Leal

        Message 3 of 10 , May 24, 2017
          Matt's Microphone parts also has a UK based web store:

          I don't see U47 kit listed, but may be you can contact Matt and ask him about the availability on UK.

          Regards!

          HL
        • rixsta_musicman
          Message 4 of 10 , May 26, 2017
            Oh cool Replies :)  Thats good
            Thanks for those links!  Ive seen micandmod website and was thinking about them.

            That Microphone parts website there is some kind of 47 clone mentioned think its FET. which Ive worked out will be much more in my price range than Making a valve clone, sadly lol
          • mcglynn_matt
            Message 5 of 10 , May 26, 2017
              > That Microphone parts website there is some kind of 47 clone mentioned think its FET

              We don't use the word "clone," because I think it is deceptive. The Micparts products do not attempt to duplicate any vintage models, but rather draw from vintage capsule and circuit designs in order to offer interesting and musically useful combinations.

              We do name our kits after the capsules found inside, and thus have things called S-47, S3-47, T-47, V-47. But none are pretending to be a U47 or Fet 47. If and when we decide to offer a U47 tribute mic, we'll be very clear about the hundreds of hours invested in duplicating the frequency response, tone, distortion characteristics, and sound of the original, and both the ways in which our version deviates from the original, and why.... but we still won't call it a "clone."

              The S-47 and S3-47 are transformerless mics based on the Schoeps circuit. We make our own circuit boards, use high-quality parts, provide matched components where necessary, bias JFETs, etc.

              The "T-47" is likely the kit you noticed. It uses a transformer coupled single-stage JFET circuit based on Neumann's KM84 -- although we have removed the built-in attenuation and adapted the circuit for LDC capsules. This mic uses a custom-wound transformer that provides superior distortion characteristics to common transformers from popular brands.

              FYI, we'll soon introduce a next-generation version of this circuit, built to fit the increasingly common donor mics from Groove Tubes and Sterling Audio -- the ST51, ST55, GT55, etc. This version will use an almost entirely different set of capacitors in order to deliver subtly different tone, and it will support external pad and filter switches found on the GT55/ST55. Modifying an "eBay refugee" donor mic is often a cost-effective way to get into DIY audio; that's why we occasionally develop circuit kits to fit 3rd-party mic bodies.
            • rixsta_musicman
              Message 6 of 10 , May 27, 2017
                Hey, Thanks for that
                Yes I see they are unique microphones.  can you tell me do you know if any of your microphones have a Class-A transistor stage ?  At this point im going to forget valve based mics due to a few reasons, cost and size of PSU etc.

                Also like those Sterling Audio mics I have a M-Audio - Nova that has a broken capsule which is faulty in, I was thinking of upgrading that mic if you have an idea what capsule would work well please let us know, I think the circuit is almost identical to one of those ST51 or similar.

                Thanks a lot for that info
                Riki
              • Jerry Lee Marcel
                Message 7 of 10 , May 27, 2017

                  ALL FET's in mic head amps operate in class A. A single transistor (or FET, or tube) must be in class A to operate with minimum distortion. Mentioning class A has become a meaningless marketing motto.

                  Le 27/05/2017 à 11:21, rixsta_musicman@... [micbuilders] a écrit :

                  Hey, Thanks for that
                  Yes I see they are unique microphones.  can you tell me do you know if any of your microphones have a Class-A transistor stage ?  At this point im going to forget valve based mics due to a few reasons, cost and size of PSU etc.

                  Also like those Sterling Audio mics I have a M-Audio - Nova that has a broken capsule which is faulty in, I was thinking of upgrading that mic if you have an idea what capsule would work well please let us know, I think the circuit is almost identical to one of those ST51 or similar.

                  Thanks a lot for that info
                  Riki

                  Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com
                • rixsta_musicman
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27, 2017
                    Ahh thanks yes it seems that Amplifiers in Class-A move are less found I expect due to the need for large heatsinks yet the microphones are ok having lower current draw from those little FET's.

                    Interesting how the U87 looks like it has the most simple circuit yet I found the u47 to sound nicer to my ears listening to samples.

                    Cheers
                  • Jerry Lee Marcel
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 27, 2017

                      Le 27/05/2017 à 15:29, rixsta_musicman@... [micbuilders] a écrit :

                      Interesting how the U87 looks like it has the most simple circuit yet I found the u47 to sound nicer to my ears listening to samples.
                      A one-transistor (or FET, or tube) circuit operates with very little NFB, so its operating point is critical, and anyway can never achieve the performance of a multi-stage circuit operating with a large amount of NFB. A very common fallacy in audiophoolery is that increasing the number of stages decreases performance; this is utterly wrong. ther is an optimal number of stages for a specific function. Too few or too much impairs performance.
                      Think of the number of wheels on a vehicle; one is a circus attraction, two is hard to park, three is just the bare minimum for static balance, but four seems to be the most common, athough there are 6 and 8 wheelers.

                      Cheers

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 28, 2017
                        Hey, thanks a lot for that that totally makes sense :)   well understood there
                        Yes some things have over 8 gain stages or even over 20!

                        U47 seems a great microphone Ive also been interested in the D-M269C  :)