Re: Is there a COMPLETE Neumann U87 Clone kit out there?

  • mcglynn_matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
      --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "drslick3" <drsmith004@...> wrote:

      > With like full instructions?

      I love this question. I think of it as "assisted DIY:" source all the obscure parts, select and match them, build all-inclusive kits, and provide full-color instructions. It's a huge value-add to most mic modders. I've spent enough long nights shopping for capacitors to know what a time sink that is.

      The kit you ask about does not yet exist, so far as I've seen. It is a product I'd love to offer, and hope to offer once I have found a reasonable source for great U87 bodies.

      The closest thing to a kit I've seen thus far was something I offered last year, a limited run of "U87-esque" bodies for the DIY U87 PCB set. They were not true clone bodies, but they fit the PCBs, had all the right switches, and the price was right. So there are about 50 DIY U87s out there based on this metalwork:
      http://microphone-parts.com/u87-body-kit/

      We bundled them with the RK-87 capsule, which is a half-price alternative to the Peluso. It has insulated backplates, as you need for the ~40V U87i circuit.

      Since I took over the Microphone-Parts business, we've gotten really good at providing step-by-step instructions for DIY circuit mods. We just launched our 5th "mod kit," this one for the Apex 460; as suggested above, it includes the components, capsule, tube, and a 30-page installation manual. Every customer has reported a successful build thus far (something I couldn't say about our first-gen mods, alas!). About 2% of people ask for the schematic; the rest do fine with the color photos with arrows showing exactly how to place every component.

      In short, I completely understand why you're asking what you're asking. I just wish I had a better answer for you!

      --
      matt.
    • drslick3
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
        Yes, I saw your RK-87 capsule. Seriously
        cheaper than the Peluso, but how does the
        performance compare?

        Studio 939 sells an empty body shell:

        http://store.studio939.com/product/syt-5-microphone-body-kit

        That might be the one I'll get.

        Yeah, I can work from schematics no problem....it's just
        I get a bit lazy ordering parts from ten different companies!
        Having everything together in one kit form is damn convenient,
        even for an electrical engineer! And it consolidates all
        the many options you have....

        Thanks for your time, I'll likely get your capsule if
        I do this.....

        --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "mcglynn_matt" <matt@...> wrote:

        > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "drslick3" <drsmith004@> wrote:
        > >
        > > With like full instructions?
        >
        > I love this question. I think of it as "assisted DIY:" source all the obscure parts, select and match them, build all-inclusive kits, and provide full-color instructions. It's a huge value-add to most mic modders. I've spent enough long nights shopping for capacitors to know what a time sink that is.
        >
        > The kit you ask about does not yet exist, so far as I've seen. It is a product I'd love to offer, and hope to offer once I have found a reasonable source for great U87 bodies.
        >
        > The closest thing to a kit I've seen thus far was something I offered last year, a limited run of "U87-esque" bodies for the DIY U87 PCB set. They were not true clone bodies, but they fit the PCBs, had all the right switches, and the price was right. So there are about 50 DIY U87s out there based on this metalwork:
        > http://microphone-parts.com/u87-body-kit/
        >
        > We bundled them with the RK-87 capsule, which is a half-price alternative to the Peluso. It has insulated backplates, as you need for the ~40V U87i circuit.
        >
        > Since I took over the Microphone-Parts business, we've gotten really good at providing step-by-step instructions for DIY circuit mods. We just launched our 5th "mod kit," this one for the Apex 460; as suggested above, it includes the components, capsule, tube, and a 30-page installation manual. Every customer has reported a successful build thus far (something I couldn't say about our first-gen mods, alas!). About 2% of people ask for the schematic; the rest do fine with the color photos with arrows showing exactly how to place every component.
        >
        > In short, I completely understand why you're asking what you're asking. I just wish I had a better answer for you!
        >
        > --
        > matt.

      • drslick3
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
          Here's a decent set of instructions:

          http://studio939.blogspot.com/2012/12/vintage-u87-circuit-clone-microphone.html

          The SYT-5 body is $190!! I think I may get
          a $50 cheapie SP1 and use the tapered PCB
          boards instead....

          --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "drslick3" <drsmith004@...> wrote:

          > Yes, I saw your RK-87 capsule. Seriously
          > cheaper than the Peluso, but how does the
          > performance compare?
          >
          > Studio 939 sells an empty body shell:
          >
          > http://store.studio939.com/product/syt-5-microphone-body-kit
          >
          > That might be the one I'll get.
          >
          > Yeah, I can work from schematics no problem....it's just
          > I get a bit lazy ordering parts from ten different companies!
          > Having everything together in one kit form is damn convenient,
          > even for an electrical engineer! And it consolidates all
          > the many options you have....
          >
          > Thanks for your time, I'll likely get your capsule if
          > I do this.....
          >

          > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "mcglynn_matt" <matt@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "drslick3" <drsmith004@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > With like full instructions?
          > >
          > > I love this question. I think of it as "assisted DIY:" source all the obscure parts, select and match them, build all-inclusive kits, and provide full-color instructions. It's a huge value-add to most mic modders. I've spent enough long nights shopping for capacitors to know what a time sink that is.
          > >
          > > The kit you ask about does not yet exist, so far as I've seen. It is a product I'd love to offer, and hope to offer once I have found a reasonable source for great U87 bodies.
          > >
          > > The closest thing to a kit I've seen thus far was something I offered last year, a limited run of "U87-esque" bodies for the DIY U87 PCB set. They were not true clone bodies, but they fit the PCBs, had all the right switches, and the price was right. So there are about 50 DIY U87s out there based on this metalwork:
          > > http://microphone-parts.com/u87-body-kit/
          > >
          > > We bundled them with the RK-87 capsule, which is a half-price alternative to the Peluso. It has insulated backplates, as you need for the ~40V U87i circuit.
          > >
          > > Since I took over the Microphone-Parts business, we've gotten really good at providing step-by-step instructions for DIY circuit mods. We just launched our 5th "mod kit," this one for the Apex 460; as suggested above, it includes the components, capsule, tube, and a 30-page installation manual. Every customer has reported a successful build thus far (something I couldn't say about our first-gen mods, alas!). About 2% of people ask for the schematic; the rest do fine with the color photos with arrows showing exactly how to place every component.
          > >
          > > In short, I completely understand why you're asking what you're asking. I just wish I had a better answer for you!
          > >
          > > --
          > > matt.

        • Pei-Chung Ting
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
            Hey guys,

            I do try to clarify the builds as best I can via detailed photo
            documentation. To this point, the SYT-5 has been by far the best platform
            for a donor microphone that we have found for DIY U87 and U67 builds, but
            many Chinese microphone vendors are reluctant to sell "just the parts", so
            it's been rough going trying to negotiate a decent price on the first run
            of bodies at volume. When you're just starting out and do not command the
            volume of a big-name company, you sometimes just have to take what you can
            get and make the product available. Certainly there are cheaper options,
            but they are all based on much smaller diameter body tube than the Neumann
            U87.

            But, my contacts have been deepening and I am dealing now directly with the
            metal sub-contractor that supplies these OEM mic companies, and they are
            much more willing to work with me on spec changes and pricing. I also now
            have eyes on the ground in China to check that the specs agreed upon will
            be executed correctly.

            Because at least 3 DIY pcb kits are now spec'd to the STY-5 body's tube
            dimensions and frame rail configuration, I'm now working with the factory
            to produce a new microphone body that retains compatibility with all
            existing kits, and I am optimistic that I will be able to incrementally
            improve the feature set and quality as well as price point.

            -'Chung

          • drslick3
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
              Is this THE Chunger? Good to meet you.

              I have some questions:

              1) Why in your pics, is R11CAL not populated? And I
              couldn't find the BIAS potentiometer on the schematic. Is this
              meant to replace the R14 10k resistor? Don't still need to
              put a resistor in the R11CAL area?

              2) Good lord, the T13 Funkewerk transformer is $95!! And
              I couldn't find a place to buy the Cinemag CM-2480. There's
              got to be a cheaper place to get something that works exactly
              the same....it's only a goddamned transformer!

              Thanks for your time....

              --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Pei-Chung Ting <chunger@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > They were not true clone bodies, but they fit the PCBs, had all the right
              > > switches, and the price was right. So there are about 50 DIY U87s out there
              > > based on this metalwork:

              > > alternative to the Peluso. It has insulated backplates, as you need for the
              > > ~40V U87i circuit.

              > > good at providing step-by-step instructions for DIY circuit mods. We just
              > > launched our 5th "mod kit," this one for the Apex 460; as suggested above,
              > > it includes the components, capsule, tube, and a 30-page installation
              > > manual. Every customer has reported a successful build thus far (something
              > > I couldn't say about our first-gen mods, alas!). About 2% of people ask for
              > > the schematic; the rest do fine with the color photos with arrows showing
              > > exactly how to place every component.

              > > asking. I just wish I had a better answer for you!

            • poctop76
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2013
                --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "drslick3" <drsmith004@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I saw your RK-87 capsule. Seriously
                > cheaper than the Peluso, but how does the
                > performance compare?
                >
                > Studio 939 sells an empty body shell:
                >
                > http://store.studio939.com/product/syt-5-microphone-body-kit
                >
                > That might be the one I'll get.
                >
                > Yeah, I can work from schematics no problem....it's just
                > I get a bit lazy ordering parts from ten different companies!
                > Having everything together in one kit form is damn convenient,
                > even for an electrical engineer! And it consolidates all
                > the many options you have....
                >
                > Thanks for your time, I'll likely get your capsule if
                > I do this.....
                >

                > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "mcglynn_matt" <matt@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "drslick3" <drsmith004@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > With like full instructions?
                > >
                > > I love this question. I think of it as "assisted DIY:" source all the obscure parts, select and match them, build all-inclusive kits, and provide full-color instructions. It's a huge value-add to most mic modders. I've spent enough long nights shopping for capacitors to know what a time sink that is.
                > >
                > > The kit you ask about does not yet exist, so far as I've seen. It is a product I'd love to offer, and hope to offer once I have found a reasonable source for great U87 bodies.
                > >
                > > The closest thing to a kit I've seen thus far was something I offered last year, a limited run of "U87-esque" bodies for the DIY U87 PCB set. They were not true clone bodies, but they fit the PCBs, had all the right switches, and the price was right. So there are about 50 DIY U87s out there based on this metalwork:
                > > http://microphone-parts.com/u87-body-kit/
                > >
                > > We bundled them with the RK-87 capsule, which is a half-price alternative to the Peluso. It has insulated backplates, as you need for the ~40V U87i circuit.
                > >
                > > Since I took over the Microphone-Parts business, we've gotten really good at providing step-by-step instructions for DIY circuit mods. We just launched our 5th "mod kit," this one for the Apex 460; as suggested above, it includes the components, capsule, tube, and a 30-page installation manual. Every customer has reported a successful build thus far (something I couldn't say about our first-gen mods, alas!). About 2% of people ask for the schematic; the rest do fine with the color photos with arrows showing exactly how to place every component.
                > >
                > > In short, I completely understand why you're asking what you're asking. I just wish I had a better answer for you!
                > >
                > > --
                > > matt.

                check this link out ,
                http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/index.html