Re: [micbuilders] whaw !........... - n dB noise..........

  • Martijn van Beurden
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
      I hope it's not the counterpart of digital speakers (which are speakers
      with a driver for each bit)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_speakers

      On 24-11-12 16:13, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

      > Huh ?
      >
      > What is the definition of "truly digital microphone" ?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Sergei.
      >
      > >________________________________

    • NormanD
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2012
        My definition would be something that could access this dimension from another, and do it at a rate of at least 100K times per second, snatching an air pressure data point at each 'visit'.

        I don't doubt that there are people ( humans ) working with such technology right now, but they'll surely be tucked away deep inside black projects where their genius is wasted on weaponry and secret space programs etc.

        If I've not 'lost' the reader by now, I think the most exciting aspect of such a thing isn't so much the digital domain it acts in, but the possibility of using a microscopically tiny transducer that eliminates ALL directional phase cancellation, etc, issues within human ( or animal ) hearing range.

        Of course, the invention of a digital signal path all the way from a tiny point in atmospheric space, to a recorder or reproducer runs a very close second.

        My very good wishes to all,
        norman.

        --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Martijn van Beurden <mvanb1@...> wrote:

        > I hope it's not the counterpart of digital speakers (which are speakers
        > with a driver for each bit)
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_speakers
        >
        > On 24-11-12 16:13, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
        > >
        > > Huh ?
        > >
        > > What is the definition of "truly digital microphone" ?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Sergei.
        > >
        > > >________________________________

      • Sergei Steshenko
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2012
          Huh ?

          What for the inventions ?

          Before you continue (blindly ?) worshiping digital stuff, read

          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastability_in_electronics
          http://webee.technion.ac.il/~ran/papers/Metastability%20and%20Synchronizers.posted.pdf

          , etc.

          My point is that, for example, your computer keyboard,  being completely OK from the point of intended functionality, works by _chance_.

          And if you own a car, and press the brakes pedal, and the pedal is supposed to activate some electronics in order to save your life, the electronics also works by _chance_.

          Regards,
            Sergei.

          >________________________________

          [snip]
          > the invention of a digital signal path all the way from a tiny point in atmospheric space ...
          [snip]
          >norman.

        • NormanD
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
            Sergei Steshenko wrote:

            > Huh ?

            sorry, I tend to wander off into never never land when I think these technical issues through, I never really put anything practical together, unless it's a pair of silicon ears and a pair of EM 172 capsules as I'm planning on doing shortly.

            [ I spotted the silicon ears here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140789868965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 ]

            > What for the inventions ?

            Just dreaming and trying to join up all the dots of my discoveries over the last 10 years about how much we are NOT being told about where 'black' science is up to. Anti-Gravity isn't even near where they are up to.

            > Before you continue (blindly ?) worshiping digital stuff, read
            >

            > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastability_in_electronics
            > http://webee.technion.ac.il/~ran/papers/Metastability%20and%20Synchronizers.posted.pdf
            >
            > , etc.
            >
            > My point is that, for example, your computer keyboard,  being completely OK from the point of intended functionality, works by _chance_.
            >
            > And if you own a car, and press the brakes pedal, and the pedal is supposed to activate some electronics in order to save your life, the electronics also works by _chance_.
            >

            > Regards,
            >   Sergei.

            Yea, I read some of that and got your point very well.

            The recent epic on Minimum Phase has had my ears burning, though I have to admit it was all new to me and mostly went over my head. Just glad to know you lot are a pretty savi bunch.

            It was the idea of negative numbers for noise level that really got me to chirp up in the first place. I find the idea novel and I'm incredulous that the topic hasn't been tangled with here as a big open debate like the Minimum Phase thing has been.

            Being a very low budget kinda guy, noise has been my biggest pain. I'm getting into outdoor recording these days and I very much like Binaural. In fact, with so many people listening to music on headphones of ear plugs these days I can't see why the whole of the music industry isn't going Binaural too.

            So, I've now sort of introduced myself to the group. Something I probably should have done in the first place, instead of popping up with a smart-Alec sounding post about something I know little about.

            Negative noise figures, now that's a topic I could happily delete a hundred read messages a day about.

            :)

            norman.
          • Martijn van Beurden
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
              On 11-12-12 01:39, NormanD wrote:

              > In fact, with so many people listening to music on headphones of ear
              > plugs these days I can't see why the whole of the music industry isn't
              > going Binaural too.

              Well, I think that's because people only listen closely when at home, in
              a nice seat, listening to their favourite kind of music over their
              HiFi-set. Earplugs and headphones are usually worn when 'on the road',
              thus when listening 'casually'. Besides that, the usual
              stereo-techniques work pretty well when listened on headphone, while
              binaural doesn't really work well on speakers.

              Another problem with binaural is compatibility. Because people's outer
              ears all differ, binaural recordings do not always work. For example,
              most binaural recordings I found on the internet do not work for me, I
              hear everything behind me, even when it is supposed to be in front of
              me. If I make binaural recordings with my ears, they don't really work
              with others likewise. It would be really annoying to buy a binaurally
              recorded CD where the music sounds like they are sitting behind me,
              especially when I listen closely. Things like that really limit adoption.

            • Jerry Lee Marcel
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
                Just take the metro in New York, Paris, London, ... and you will see
                that most kids share their earbuds so they have one ear for Justin
                Bieber and the other for gabbing.