Re: Alice circuit problem

  • Rickc@tscnet.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 23, 2012
      In steps 1 and 2 of my process, thats what you are doing.
      The melted solder and flux flows onto the connection, and the flux breaks down surface oxidation, and you have just brought the joint to soldering temperature. Now feed more solder into the joint (NOT to the iron) and you are done.

      That second step uses the molten solder to gain intimate contact between the iron and the connection. But it is important that the solder be placed between the tip and the connection so there is fresh solder and flux on the tip AND the connection.

      --rick chinn

      Sent from my iPad
    • monstermodels@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
        Im looking at this project again. Iv ordered more perf board and a multi meter. Im gonna rebuilt the circuit again.

        Im looking at soldering irons. I think as you suggested the one I have doesn't get hot enough to make quick efficient solid joints.

        Scott, Im looking at " Weller" irons. What wattage do you suggest I buy? I have some soldering in an old amplifier to do soon as well so a new, quality iron will pay dividends anyway.

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
          Also,Iv noticed that the higher watt rated irons seem to come with really fat tips and there is no mention that they come with a selection of tips. Im a bit stuck really!

          --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "monstermodels@..." <monstermodels@...> wrote:

          > Scott if I send you a pic of the circuit would you mind taking a quick look?
          >
          > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Of course there are lots of possible mistakes. If you have limited or
          > > no test equiment, you can still use the "circuit disturbance" test by
          > > touching various parts of the circuit while listening. You should be
          > > getting noise when you touch either side of the circuit (ie either big
          > > film capacitor or output transistor). You should be getting a *lot* of
          > > noise/buzz if you touch the back of the capsule. If all that is true,
          > > then maybe you boogered the capsule with too much soldering iron heat.
          > > If not, time to look at the circuit once again.
          > >
          > > Regarding "too much heat" - most newbies use a cheap low-power soldering
          > > iron that doesn't get very hot. The problem is that you have to leave
          > > it on the junction a long time, and so the heat will travel to more
          > > sensitive areas. A nice hot iron will let you work much faster, so that
          > > the heat can't spread very far.
          > >
          > > -Scott
          > >
          > > On 11/21/2012 04:55 PM, monstermodels@ wrote:
          > > > Hi. Looking for some help with a a mic project that has so far been in progress for nearly a year! I have finally assembled my alice circuit and plugged it into a phantom powered mixing desk to test it.
          > > >
          > > > Basically I cant hear anything unless I speak directly into the capsule...its really quiet. I can hear if I tap on the capsule but there is LOTS of unwanted noise and not a lot else.
          > > >
          > > > Iv obviously done something wrong somewhere but as Im an absolute beginner I haven't got a clue where to start with diagnostics.
          > > >
          > > > I learned to solder as I went along and while its not the best job int he world I think all the contacts are good and im fairly sure nothing is shorting.
          > > >
          > > > Any help would be much appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks a lot :)

          > > --
          > > ---- Scott Helmke ---- scott@ ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
          > > And you'll visualize not taking any chances
          > > But meet them halfway with love, peace, and persuasion
          > > And expect them to rise to the occasion
          > > (from "Glad Tidings", by Van Morrison)

        • LESLIE WATTS
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
            Parts express sells a litle solding station with a temperature (really current) control for about $15. I had bought some as spares, but I must say they work about as well as our expensive weller stations.

            Plenty of heat and small tips.

            They have a new one for $40 or something with temperature feedback...haven't tried that.

            Les
            Also,Iv noticed that the higher watt rated irons seem to come with really fat tips and there is no mention that they come with a selection of tips. Im a bit stuck really!

            --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "monstermodels@..." <monstermodels@...> wrote:

            > Scott if I send you a pic of the circuit would you mind taking a quick look?
            >
            > --- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Of course there are lots of possible mistakes. If you have limited or
            > > no test equiment, you can still use the "circuit disturbance" test by
            > > touching various parts of the circuit while listening. You should be
            > > getting noise when you touch either side of the circuit (ie either big
            > > film capacitor or output transistor). You should be getting a *lot* of
            > > noise/buzz if you touch the back of the capsule. If all that is true,
            > > then maybe you boogered the capsule with too much soldering iron heat.
            > > If not, time to look at the circuit once again.
            > >
            > > Regarding "too much heat" - most newbies use a cheap low-power soldering
            > > iron that doesn't get very hot. The problem is that you have to leave
            > > it on the junction a long time, and so the heat will travel to more
            > > sensitive areas. A nice hot iron will let you work much faster, so that
            > > the heat can't spread very far.
            > >
            > > -Scott
            > >
            > > On 11/21/2012 04:55 PM, monstermodels@ wrote:
            > > > Hi. Looking for some help with a a mic project that has so far been in progress for nearly a year! I have finally assembled my alice circuit and plugged it into a phantom powered mixing desk to test it.
            > > >
            > > > Basically I cant hear anything unless I speak directly into the capsule...its really quiet. I can hear if I tap on the capsule but there is LOTS of unwanted noise and not a lot else.
            > > >
            > > > Iv obviously done something wrong somewhere but as Im an absolute beginner I haven't got a clue where to start with diagnostics.
            > > >
            > > > I learned to solder as I went along and while its not the best job int he world I think all the contacts are good and im fairly sure nothing is shorting.
            > > >
            > > > Any help would be much appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks a lot :)

            > > --
            > > ---- Scott Helmke ---- scott@ ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
            > > And you'll visualize not taking any chances
            > > But meet them halfway with love, peace, and persuasion
            > > And expect them to rise to the occasion
            > > (from "Glad Tidings", by Van Morrison)

          • David Pickett
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
              At 13:49 26-12-12, monstermodels@... wrote:
              >Also,Iv noticed that the higher watt rated irons seem to come with
              >really fat tips and there is no mention that they come with a
              >selection of tips. Im a bit stuck really!

              Go to a decent electrical store that stocks Waller (not Radio Shack)
              and ask. You may have to buy a fancy one with adjustable temperature
              for the new-fangled solder. They will also stock the easily
              interchanged alternative bits that Waller sells for about $5.

              David
            • Scott Helmke
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                I've got a Weller W60P in my portable tool kit. It's regulated, and you
                can change the temperature by changing tips. But the default 700F is
                pretty good just the way it is.

                -Scott

                On 12/26/2012 02:26 PM, David Pickett wrote:
                > At 13:49 26-12-12, monstermodels@... wrote:
                > >Also,Iv noticed that the higher watt rated irons seem to come with
                > >really fat tips and there is no mention that they come with a
                > >selection of tips. Im a bit stuck really!
                >
                > Go to a decent electrical store that stocks Waller (not Radio Shack)
                > and ask. You may have to buy a fancy one with adjustable temperature
                > for the new-fangled solder. They will also stock the easily
                > interchanged alternative bits that Waller sells for about $5.
                >
                > David

                ---- Scott Helmke ---- scott@... ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
                And you'll visualize not taking any chances
                But meet them halfway with love, peace, and persuasion
                And expect them to rise to the occasion
                (from "Glad Tidings", by Van Morrison)
              • Luc Belanger
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                  Get a Weller, I have two, one is more than 30 years old, temperature is regulated by a magnet in the tip, 700F woks all the time, the other I have is a controlled temperature, had it for uhhhhhhh maybe 20 years... These Iron had been on for more than a decade at one point, because I always forgot to turn them off!
                  In this period I have changed a few tips and one heater cartdrige. Mind you, I do lab work most of the time, not production, but this is really a tool you pay once and pretty much forget it!
                  Lu

                  >________________________________

                • rick chinn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                    soldering:

                    a lot of people think that soldering is like frosting a cake, or
                    putting mud on a sheetrock wall. it is anything but that. Just about
                    every novice I've seen trying to solder has this in their mind,
                    perhaps because they're trying to keep the connection from getting
                    too hot. But, if you don't get everything hot enough to melt solder,
                    then you're doomed.

                    The important part is to firmly place the iron on the connection, and
                    at the point of contact between the tip and the connection, add a bit
                    of solder. do a two count and then flow more solder in. Note that the
                    iron has not moved at all. When the solder flows smoothly onto the
                    connection, then remove it and allow the connection to cool undisturbed.

                    I use a weller iron, a WTCP. I have several, acquired across the
                    course of 45+ years of soldering. I also have one of the Hakko irons,
                    which is adjustable temperature, and one of the weller-ungar irons,
                    which is also adjustable temp. In the WTCP, I use an 800-degree tip
                    because it allows me to work faster.

                    You need a big tip for big connections, such as XLR connectors, and
                    you need a tiny tip for pcb work. You should be using 63-37 solder,
                    although 60-40 is ok.

                    --rick chinn