Re: [micbuilders] Re: M/S resistor network

  • Bryan &Susan Black
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      The biggest problem with the earlier referenced "all resistor" schematic is
      that it requires balanced circuits! If you have balanced circuits, or if
      you do not have to reference your L-R signal to ground, a passive matrix is
      fairly easy. But I'd guess most of the folk wanting to use this only have
      unbalanced goes-intas and goes-outas... So an unbalanced solution is
      needed.
      How about if you could get it down to a few resistors and just _one_
      transformer? You might try this circuit:
      http://sound.westhost.com/project18.htm (look for the schematic labelled
      Figure 2). It uses the same effect, although it was designed with a
      different purpose in mind. Since you're going in the opposite direction,
      where it says Left, connect L+R and where it says Right, connect L-R. (and
      on the output, L+R = Left, L-R = Right)
      With all this said, when I record mid-side, I put it onto my recording
      medium in the M/S format-- and do my M/S decoding back at the studio. That
      way, I can adjust the relative Mid to Side ratios where I have speakers
      that I can listen to, instead of just headphones! (Besides... at the
      studio, I have balanced equipment!) :)

      Bryan

      At 05:45 PM 5/31/04 -0000, you wrote:
      >--- In micbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Scott Helmke <scott@s...> wrote:
      >> Found this at Prosoundweb:
      >>
      >http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/6207/2512/?SQ=309c66b963524676
      ddf15bef75a9c270#msg_6207

      >> A few responses down is a description of a 600-ohm resistor network for
      >> sum/difference.
      >>
      >> -Scott
      <song lyrics snipped>
      >Dear Scott,
      >
      >Thanks for the pointer.
      >
      >I must confess I cannot follow their (text) description. If you
      >figure it out, perhaps you could post a drawing. It would be really
      >great if we could get a circuit with only (builtin) FETs and passive
      >components. Oh yeah, no software either. I hate using software when
      >I don't need to...
      >
      > Richard

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/