Re: Sony ECM-21 Mod

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      --- "captainvideo_007" wrote:
      > I've been looking for a mod to the ecm-21 for phantom power.

      Several decades ago I had three ECM-22 cardioids. I modified two
      of them for phantom power (just some 6K81 resistors, a zener, and
      a capacitor).

      But they were early electret models and they lost their charge at
      least 20 years ago. What vintage is your ECM-21? Does it work?
    • rick chinn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
        If the microphone schematic is as simple as the preliminary
        description sounds, then perhaps the process that I used to modify
        several EV PL76 microphones for phantom power would apply. It is
        described on my website:

        http://www.uneeda-audio.com/phantom/pl-76mod.htm

        The 6k8 resistors may need to be lower value, but I doubt it, since
        the original microphone ran from AA batteries. I'd start with the
        zener at 5z1 too, because the ecm21 circuit might run perfectly well
        with higher rail voltages, which translates to higher headroom. If
        not, then adjust the zener voltage to 3v3.

        --rick chinn