Re: [micbuilders] Looking for Dual diaphragm capsules

  • John Lundsten
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks, Robert M & Eric B

      Ok, what the guy at Peluso does looks pretty admirable & quite credible, I'm
      very inclined to buy his stuff (i.e. seemingly it has low Bull S***, in an
      area beset by dubious hyperbole) but I have no 1st hand experience of Peluso
      Mics/Caps.

      Yes I have experienced the Chinese, ability to make visually / mechanically
      impressive, seeming clones or even better looking versions of much higher
      priced classic Euro stuff. Hey we all tend to be impressed by "visuals" the
      China clones, tick this box. So I can quite appreciate anyone (eg, poss
      Peluso would be crazy to NOT use the mechanical aspects of what China can
      offer.)

      Now, as it happens I don't actually like the Neumann U87 that much, & this
      must be the most copied look, not too surprisingly.
      Not that keen {but a bit happier] on the AKG C12 too, but the U47 & Tele 251
      are pretty impressive to my (subjective) tastes.

      So taking my preduces in mind, anyone have any opinion as to the merits of
      the Peluso $245 caps compared to visually identical Chinese offerings? at
      $35 to $49?

      Eg the ADK mics Co does caps for $35
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Microphone-Capsules_W0QQitemZ260497295095QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1288QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

      and the KCM stuff is amazingly cheap. Eg they do an astoundingly good
      looking Vari Polar pattern mic for $123 (but I have no idea how good it
      sounds)
      http://cgi.ebay.com/KCM-T-6000-STUDIO-BOTTLE-MULTI-PATTERN-CONDENSER-MIC_W0QQitemZ150384569856QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41466QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

      confused:--
      But all input valued.

      Oh, and I want to use the Rode NT1a PCB's, cos they get ultra low noise,
      which is V valuable to me. FYI the orig Rode caps look to be AKG C12 style.
      J L

      RM--|
      | look at peluso capsules. hes in so carolina i think and does a very good
      job

      | To: micbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      | From: john.lundsten@...
      | Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:44:37 +0000
      | Subject: [micbuilders] Looking for Dual diaphragm capsules
      |

      | I'm looking for Dual diaphragm capsules, to go with Rode
      NT1a circuitry,

      | ideally.
      |
      | Any suggestions?
      |
      | John L

      07:53:00
    • Robert Munger
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
        i think the ADK parts are chinese. buy one off ebay and strip it. the trick is the highest operating level for headroom. that is tied to deflection and polorization voltage level. eargles book talks about that, as does tremains.

        To: micbuilders@yahoogroups.com
        From: john.lundsten@...
        Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:46:54 +0000
        Subject: Re: [micbuilders] Looking for Dual diaphragm capsules

        http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen3:102009

        | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        07:53:00

      • Eric Benjamin
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
          John,

          We've all read that one of the principle deficits of the Chinese mic capsules is their variability; that some of them are good but others from the same mfgr. are no so good. I have no personal experience as to that. And I have minimal expertise as to the differences between large diaphragm capsules.

          > the orig Rode caps look to be AKG C12 style
          But I note that the AKG C12 capsule is not center terminated and the NT1A capsule is center terminated. Or perhaps you were referring to another Rode capsule?

          And I had a further idea about the availability of LD capsules. Various people have purchased individual capsules from Neumann or AKG. There is at least a third alternative. The capsules from the Shure LD microphones are available as replacement items from Shure dealers. The dual diaphragm capsule from the KSM44 is designated the RPM130 and it's available for about $250.

          If you're starting with a Rode NT1A, what is it that you _don't_ like about the Rode capsule?

          Eric

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
            are you the chap that wrote articles for VTV on tubes?

            To: micbuilders@yahoogroups.com
            From: ebenj@...
            Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:44:31 -0800

> [...]

            J L

            RM--|

            | look at peluso capsules. hes in so carolina i think and does a very good

            job

            | To: micbuilders@ yahoogroups. com

            | From: john.lundsten@ blueyonder. co.uk

            | Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:44:37 +0000

            | Subject: [micbuilders] Looking for Dual diaphragm capsules

            | I'm looking for Dual diaphragm capsules, to go with Rode

            NT1a circuitry,

            | ideally.

            | Any suggestions?

            | John L

            | ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

            | Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.

            http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen3: 102009

            | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Oscar Pacheco
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
              How is the sound of this mic???......

              I have no idea how good it sounds but I would like to comment that $130 looks interesting!!!...Do you??

              http://cgi.ebay com/KCM-T- 6000-STUDIO- BOTTLE-MULTI- PATTERN-CONDENSE R-MIC_W0QQitemZ1 50384569856QQihZ 005QQcategoryZ41 466QQcmdZViewIte mQQ_trksidZp3286 .m7QQ_trkparmsZa lgo%3DLVI% 26itu%3DUCI% 26otn%3D3% 26ps%3D6

              Thanks a lot,
              Opacheco.

              To: micbuilders@ yahoogroups. com
              From: john.lundsten@ blueyonder. co.uk
              Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:46:54 +0000

              Thanks, Robert M & Eric B

              Ok, what the guy at Peluso does looks pretty admirable & quite credible, I'm

              very inclined to buy his stuff (i.e. seemingly it has low Bull S***, in an

              area beset by dubious hyperbole) but I have no 1st hand experience of Peluso

              Mics/Caps.

              Yes I have experienced the Chinese, ability to make visually / mechanically

              impressive, seeming clones or even better looking versions of much higher

              priced classic Euro stuff. Hey we all tend to be impressed by "visuals" the

              China clones, tick this box. So I can quite appreciate anyone (eg, poss

              Peluso would be crazy to NOT use the mechanical aspects of what China can

              offer.)

              Now, as it happens I don't actually like the Neumann U87 that much, & this

              must be the most copied look, not too surprisingly.

              Not that keen {but a bit happier] on the AKG C12 too, but the U47 & Tele 251

              are pretty impressive to my (subjective) tastes.

              So taking my preduces in mind, anyone have any opinion as to the merits of

              the Peluso $245 caps compared to visually identical Chinese offerings? at

              $35 to $49?

              Eg the ADK mics Co does caps for $35

              http://cgi.ebay com/Microphone- Capsules_ W0QQitemZ2604972 95095QQihZ016QQc ategoryZ1288QQcm dZViewItemQQ_ trksidZp3286. m7QQ_trkparmsZal go%3DLVI% 26itu%3DUCI% 26otn%3D3% 26ps%3D6

              and the KCM stuff is amazingly cheap. Eg they do an astoundingly good

              looking Vari Polar pattern mic for $123 (but I have no idea how good it

              sounds)

              http://cgi.ebay com/KCM-T- 6000-STUDIO- BOTTLE-MULTI- PATTERN-CONDENSE R-MIC_W0QQitemZ1 50384569856QQihZ 005QQcategoryZ41 466QQcmdZViewIte mQQ_trksidZp3286 .m7QQ_trkparmsZa lgo%3DLVI% 26itu%3DUCI% 26otn%3D3% 26ps%3D6

              confused:--

              But all input valued.

              Oh, and I want to use the Rode NT1a PCB's, cos they get ultra low noise,

              which is V valuable to me. FYI the orig Rode caps look to be AKG C12 style.

              J L

              RM--|

              | look at peluso capsules. hes in so carolina i think and does a very good

              job

              | To: micbuilders@ yahoogroups. com

              | From: john.lundsten@ blueyonder. co.uk

              | Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:44:37 +0000

              | Subject: [micbuilders] Looking for Dual diaphragm capsules

              | I'm looking for Dual diaphragm capsules, to go with Rode

              NT1a circuitry,

              | ideally.

              | Any suggestions?

              | John L

              | ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

              | Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.

              http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen3: 102009

              | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              07:53:00

              New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you.
              http://www.microsof t.com/windows/ pc-scout/ default.aspx? CBID=wl&ocid= PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ pcscout:112009

            • John Lundsten
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                Eric Benjamin wrote

                | John,
                |
                | We've all read that one of the principle deficits of the Chinese mic
                capsules is their variability; that some of them are good but others from
                the same mfgr. are no so good. I have no personal experience as to that.
                And I have minimal expertise as to the differences between large diaphragm
                capsules.

                | > the orig Rode caps look to be AKG C12 style
                | But I note that the AKG C12 capsule is not center terminated and the NT1A
                capsule is center terminated.
                Hmm, maybe Rode have changed their design, The NT1a caps I have use a
                connection to the edge ring ( and the backplate connection via a tapped
                hole).
                And more relevant to what I am doing the connections to a capsule from a
                Rode NT2a is the same too. Basically it looks near identical to
                http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/Images/cek12.jpg
                Bar the fact the 14 screws on the Rode NT2a are not evenly spaced about the
                2 little holes.

                What I have done is wire a 2a capsule to two NT1a PCB's, to give me very
                nearly coincident back to back Cardioids. And another 2a Cap wired to a NT2a
                PCB set to Fig 8 mode. [A double MS mic layout]

                The problem I have hit is both the overall sensitivity & more to the point
                freq response, is far from the same on each half of the caps. This is true
                for front/rear symmetry of the Fig 8 & also the 2 cardioids. In fairness to
                Rode I may well have damaged the capsules in my phaffing about building the
                new mic body / capsule mounting etc. But for sure all 4 diaphams are far
                from the same.

                I have by swapping/ substituting established the PCB's are not the problem,
                or the cap difference are far greater than PCB matching. So I could just buy
                2 more NT2a for their caps only ( they don't sell spares) or maybe capsule
                match is not that great and I should look elsewhere. It is a shame I didn't
                think to test Cap symmetry before I took my NT2a to bits. Tho had done a
                rough test by making "ahh" and other vocal sounds with it set to Fig and
                then rotating the mic- so yes I must have damaged them.

                | And I had a further idea about the availability of LD capsules. Various
                people have purchased individual capsules from Neumann or AKG. There is at
                least a third alternative. The capsules from the Shure LD microphones are
                available as replacement items from Shure dealers. The dual diaphragm
                capsule from the KSM44 is designated the RPM130 and it's available for about
                $250.

                | If you're starting with a Rode NT1A, what is it that you _don't_ like
                about the Rode capsule?
                I do like the NT1a & 2a sound, and love the noise performance of the NT1a.
                John L

                | Eric

                07:38:00