The next micRO

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
      I've been looking further into runout and the micRO.

      The runout increase at the centre of the table - Y max/2 and X max/2.

      I can see the Z block move up and down when I increase the load.

      If we are to create a new micRO, some issues needs resolving.

      The table is to weak. When I mill hard stuff and put some load on, the base is flexing.
      I can measure the flx with a scale.Also, I can now measure excatly how much deviation I have on the Z block. I palce a small laser with a line aprture on the top of the Z block, pointing in my intended milling direction. I make a small line on the wall where the laser is focussed. When I satart milling, I can see the laser move up and down depending on milling direction.

      If I'm building a new micRO, I'll make it smaller, maybe an A4 size and with a really rigid base, granite, steel or concrete. The current base sucks!

      Also, I will use 3 linear bearings instead of one or two. 3 rods will take up 360 degrees forces better.

      //Dan, M0DFI
    • d_fex@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
        After I realized my money had been lost with micRO, I ended up getting a microcarve MV3 machine. It is smaller, but much more rigid design.  I had it in 3 weeks, and it is super easy to assemble.

        You do need to provide your own motors/drivers though.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
          Looks good.

          Even if I like the open layout of the micro... I'd love to see more rigidity of the Y axis and subsequently the Z axis.

          //dan