Re: [micRo-cnc] Re: Issue with one "X axis" motor

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 13, 2013
      I tried with one of mine after I repaired the faulty SMT part.

      Somewhere around the top on the ascending temp curve, just as the solder went liquid, two electrolytic caps - blew the caps. All ( most of ) the SMD components fell off and I had an almost naked PCB...

      After that, I managed to remove most of the solder on the crappy phenyl laminate pcb and I replaced all parts with new from my stock of components. The design is a bog standard rip from the datasheets.

      Danand

      On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:33:05 -0500
      Dale Botkin <dale@...> wrote:

      > Well... you CAN use reflow, but very carefully.
      >
      > Any epoxy encapsulated component (chips, etc.) that's been out of the
      > factory pack for an extended period of time is likely to have absorbed
      > enough water to cause problems. When I receive SMT parts, they're in
      > sealed packages with a dessicant pack and indicator card. If they have
      > been exposed to humidity for any length of time, you need to gently heat
      > them for a while to dry out the encapsulation otherwise the absorbed
      > water can cause them to explode. I don't remember the specifics off
      > hand, but it's in some of the data sheets I've looked at along with the
      > reflow temperature profile.
      >
      > I've also had good luck with an inexpensive heat gun I bought at a craft
      > store -- the kind intended for some sort of scrapbook embossing. I use
      > it on low temp for a few minutes to warm up the board and components,
      > after which a few seconds of high heat will melt the solder. I've got
      > some Kester liquid solder (enough for several lifetimes, in fact) that I
      > apply with a cotton swab if needed.
      >
      > Good luck -- sounds like you've found the area causing the problem. I'm
      > betting you'll have it working again after touching up the wonderful
      > soldering job our Chinese friends did.
      >
      > Dale
      >
      > On 8/13/2013 8:07 AM, Dan Andersson wrote:
      > >

      > > DO NOT USE REFLOW
      > > OVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • twistedrotors
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
        Well I re-soldered every through-hole and SMT component on the board but that did not fix the problem. The "A" channel on my board still drives the motor at exactly half speed. It might be something simple but I'd rather not deal with it anymore. So I went ahead and ordered a G540. It'll be here Monday!

        Thanks for the help everyone.

        -John

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
          Well, sometimes things just break.

          Many of the cheap Chinese stuff use B-grade components bought cheap on the black market.

          //Dan

          On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:41:11 -0000