Re: [micRo-cnc] Re: Added touch plate and optical end stops to my Micro V1

  • Dale Botkin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      That would work, but I'm basically lazy.  If I just used the tip of the EM for X & Y touch-off I'd have to make sure the tool was rotated to hit the shank (or the flute) each way.  If I make the touch-off tube/cup deep enough, I can just drop the tool in and probe for the sides.  It's easy enough to find the center point of a circle, I just need to dig in and remember/learn how to add a button to EMC that will run a script automatically.  For the touch plate I'm thinking of a bit of brass tubing soldered to some PCB material with a short 1/8" shank on the bottom.  Eventually I'd like to machine one out of aluminum with a lathe, when I eventually get one.

      On 6/18/2013 6:12 AM, micRo-cnc-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Dale,
      What about touching off just the X axis, say at 1", and then just the Y axis at 1", using the shank of the EM? Then, 0,0 should be the same each time. You could add the touch off points to your jigs so it wouldn't matter where you place the jig on the base.

      Rick

      On 6/17/2013 3:51 PM, kurt_scuba wrote:

      For some reason I had gathered that a touch plate wasn't really much of a necessity, but I've since discovered that that is a crazy idea. The amount of time savings just from this one input is amazing. What used to be an hour of fiddling is now touch and go..

      A touch plate makes a world of difference. I just rigged up a simple cable with 2 alligator clips and a short piece of aluminum angle, .060" thick. For my next project, I want to make a "touch cup". I put a 1/8" hole at the zero point on all of my jigs. I want to make a cup shaped touchplate that will plug into that hole, with a program that will touch off to the bottom surface, back off a bit, then find the exact center. Right now I have to "eyeball" the XY alignment, since the jigs are all made of wood. It's time consuming.

      The real challenge will be the fact that I use a single flute end mill 90% of the time - touching off to the side of something can have quite a bit of error, depending on how the EM is turned. Still, I think the flute does make one full turn around the shank, so if I make the cup deep enough it should work.

      Dale