New Spindle

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2013
      So,

      I bought a lathe on Ebay and it'll hopefully arrive during the week.

      I have maybe 3 weeks before the new years work begins so I hope to be able to
      do some work on a new spindle.

      I have a couple of pre-reqs I am looking at:

      1) DC Brushless AND flex wire drive. /// Should be easy to fix an adapter.
      1/2 to 2/3 hp as maximum.

      2) I am looking for a 22 od and 8 id angular contact bearing.

      If I can't find it, a high rel SKF standard bearing have to do.

      3) ER11 primary design. Next design ER16. It's possible to find angular contact bearings for this dimension.

      4) Retain the 1" diametre for mounting on the micRO. I don't want to make a new
      tool holder if I can avoid it.

      5) Optional Hall element RPM output.

      Any creative ideas anyone?

      //Danand
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2013
        My mill/lathe gadget has arrived!

        I have started homework on how to design a reasonable simple spindle. I'll order aluminium stock next week so this shouldn't take too long.

        Another thought.

        I use the "Etch_Z" auto leveller program when I mill pcb's. This mean - I run an autoleveller before I mill each pcb. However, I have semipermanently mounted a vacuum, table near max XY on the base so I can leave it there while milling other stuff. I have planed the vacuum table close to perfection and it seems to be staying flat. Enough for not really needing to run the autoleveller anymore.

        However, I'm looking for a program that can do a partial or full base probing run, saving the Z deviation in a file or a python program that I can call as a "milling program" to mill anywhere on the base and take into consideration the previously logged Z deviation file.

        Anyone out there clever enough in python to do this?

        //Danand