Re: [micRo-cnc] Joint vs World mode and homing on the m3

  • David Andruczyk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
      ok,.  but why does one half of the X STOP working in one of the two modes? (I forget which,  I'm going to head back down the basement shortly to mess with it more)

      On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

      You have 2 ( TWO! ) coordinate systems!

      It's actually bleeding brilliant! It means that you can define your private 0.0
      anywhere it suits you and you can get to the exact spot again and again after doing a homing command.

      Just set the user origo where YOU want it!

      Yeah! Joint and World mode.... :)

      My spine controls this nowadays so I don't even remember the names, just where to click...

      danand

      --

      -- David J Andruczyk
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
        Oh yeah. I forgot I reconfigured mine - moving the Y homing switch to "the other side" and using the ways as an electrical path to the wiring on the Y motor (on the "other side"). Hey, I'm over 50. It's excusable!!!

        --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, robin turner wrote:

        > The micRo homes and then returns to the front right. This is done for a
        > few reasons. The home switch is located where it is because that's where
        > the wiring already was- no other reason. I suppose at some point the motor
        > could've been switched to the other side, on the other hand there are a lot
        > of things we could've done..
      • Dale Botkin
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
          On 01/18/2013 11:51 AM, David Andruczyk wrote:

          I recently got my m3 running, (woohoo!), however can someone explain to me in laymans terms the difference betwen Joint Mode and World Mode in EMC2,
          In joint mode, each motor is treated separately.  In world mode, the two X axis motors (which are now my Y axis motors, but that's just me) move together.

          and why in one or the other (I forget which), only one of the X axis's motors will work resulting in the machine jamming itself?  I find myself having to close/restart EMC2 frequently, as once I get it into the state where it will drive only one of the two pair'd X-axis motors,  it never seems to get itself right again.
          Been there, done that.  As soon as you home the bot, you want to switch to world mode.

          Also, when homing (when it works),  the Y axis,  always heads out about 8-11 inches ( i haven't measured it directly yet), like the coordinate system is off,  where would I look to figure out why it always does this?  I would have expected 0,0,0 to be someplace "close" to where the limit switches trigger. (i.e. when the head is closest to the lower left corner when you have the xaxis's arrange pointing AWAY from you wiht the motors nearest to you. (hopefully that makes sense)  My bot moves to that location and then hte head heads to the right (y axis) counting down about 11.5 units (inches?) according to EMC2.
          Can you describe the exact steps you're using to home the bot?  There are (as has been pointed out) numerous coordinate systems, so "home" can be a relative thing.

          Dale
        • robin turner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
            Oh, right.  Joint mode is roughly analogous to the coordinate for that individual motor.  The X axis is composed of two motors represented by the X and U axes (U is parallel to X). In world mode, the X and U axes are combined into one common X axis coordinate line, when in joint mode, the two are separated.  Really, joint mode is a feature for hexapods (think robotic arm) and the like where each degree of freedom isn't synonymous with the cartesian coordinate system.  For example, in joint mode you could tell a robotic arm to rotate a joint freely without concern for its location in cartesian space.  Anyways, joint mode just gets in the way for a gantry machine, but it's still a necessary part of a general CNC control software like linuxcnc.  Now, if there was a way to make joint mode in-accessible via the setup file, it'd be nice..

            --

            -- David J Andruczyk

            --
            Robin Turner
            Design Engineer

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
              --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, robin turner wrote:
              > Now, if there was a way to make joint mode
              > in-accessible via the setup file, it'd be nice..

              Seems to me somebody did post a workaround for that. I never tried it though as I've also managed to get "my spine" to do most of that setup stuff. Anyone recall that??? Gawd help me if I ever have a problem with micRo as I'll be knocking my head against the wall trying to fix it. My latest question is whether to pull the trigger on the latest OS update what keeps poppin' up on my machine. I'm so afraid!!! :^)
            • mikauvalley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
                Hi folks: Yep, that someone is "the Lost Brain". Even though I have not tried it, he posted it in the 'File Section'. RV

                --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:

                > --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, robin turner wrote:
                > > Now, if there was a way to make joint mode
                > > in-accessible via the setup file, it'd be nice..
                >
                > Seems to me somebody did post a workaround for that. I never tried it though as I've also managed to get "my spine" to do most of that setup stuff. Anyone recall that??? Gawd help me if I ever have a problem with micRo as I'll be knocking my head against the wall trying to fix it. My latest question is whether to pull the trigger on the latest OS update what keeps poppin' up on my machine. I'm so afraid!!! :^)

              • thelostbrain_1
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 14, 2013
                  Yep.. that was me. ;)

                  And yep I still use that configuration...highly recommend it. :)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 14, 2013
                    Probably should have included a link to the file:
                    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/JDlCUbqP5Rzc5GHlAutEACafTGFLy4RGWaZAlPATZdVz0wpES0neCL4TkWtfGMQsFHP0Z9jWjc5JxMbmX83Auuslvv18C3qAsRSjcz3-OwQNGA/joint-jog-axisrc.txt

                    And here's the contents of it...just read the description below and all will be clear ;)

                    # TheLostBrain - EMC2 .axisrc file for LumenLab micRo CNC machines
                    # http://lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31301
                    # http://lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31313
                    #
                    #
                    # Purpose: Allows for standard gantry jogging in 'joint' mode
                    # (just like you currently have in 'world' mode).
                    # Best of all this prevents tram-misalignment caused by
                    # accidentally running just one of the gantry steppers.
                    #
                    # How to use: Simply place in your home folder (as .axisrc) and launch EMC2
                    #
                    # How it works: Simply remaps your keyboard key presses to to run
                    # both steppers at the same time
                    #
                    # Note 1: Those using homing switches should be pleased to know that this
                    # does NOT interfere with the independant joint homing of your gantry.
                    #
                    # Note 2: I've modified my ini and hal files such that I have
                    # X and Y1, Y2 (instead of the original Y and X1, X2)... So if you're used
                    # to pressing the left and right arrow keys to move the gantry in world mode
                    # you may want to simply the replace the <Up>, <Down>, etc. references
                    # in the 4 root_window.bind calls below with <Left>, <Right>, etc.

                    root_window.bind("<KeyPress-Up>", lambda e: jog_gantry(direction.positive, False))
                    root_window.bind("<KeyPress-Down>", lambda e: jog_gantry(direction.negative, False))
                    root_window.bind("<Shift-KeyPress-Up>", lambda e: jog_gantry(direction.positive, True))
                    root_window.bind("<Shift-KeyPress-Down>", lambda e: jog_gantry(direction.negative, True))
                    root_window.bind("<KeyRelease-Up>", lambda e: stop_gantry())
                    root_window.bind("<KeyRelease-Down>", lambda e: stop_gantry())

                    # These are the two bound joints as defined in the gantrykins portion of the .hal
                    # Shouldn't need to edit these unless you've modified the original values.
                    gantry_joint_A = 1
                    gantry_joint_B = 6

                    def jog_gantry(direction, jog_at_max_speed):
                    if jog_at_max_speed:
                    jog_speed = get_max_jog_speed(gantry_joint_A)
                    else:
                    jog_speed = get_jog_speed(gantry_joint_A)
                    jog_on(gantry_joint_A, direction * jog_speed)
                    jog_on(gantry_joint_B, direction * jog_speed)

                    def stop_gantry():
                    jog_off(gantry_joint_A)
                    jog_off(gantry_joint_B)

                    class direction: