Re: [micRo-cnc] Re: Spindle for my micRO

  • Dale Botkin
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 18, 2013
      In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson wrote:
       Anyone else with a different spindle design?

      Not yet...   but I need to do some engraving, and so far nothing has worked satisfactorily.  I used a sharp engraving bit and a program to probe the surface and adjust the depth accordingly.  It works "OK", but with an anodized aluminum surface the slightest tip defect results in ruining the piece (an expensive $10 Al cabinet) during probing.  Not probing didn't work because the surface isn't flat, and I don't want to go to a spring loaded diamond drag engraver because I want to do some plastics as well.

      So...  I'm thinking about building a spring loaded spindle attachment with a Delrin or Teflon ring to set the tool depth.  That will let me use whatever tool I want, and set it to whatever depth I want, without having to worry about surface variations.  The applications are as diverse as lettering on Al sheet (aircraft instrument panel), ABS plastic boxes and extruded Al cabinets.

      Problem is...  I've got too much other stuff going on, so realistically I'll be dead before I get time to do it.  This is starting to look better: http://www.bullerent.com/Engraver.htm.  After all, I did manage to make the M3 pay for itself in a year!

      Dale
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 20, 2013
        Working.

        I had the partition number specified instead of the full drive.

        If anyone else needs a 10.04 linuxCNC 2.6+,
        I can clean up my files and make it accessible on the net.

        //danand