A micRo reboot?

  • ipeerbhai@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2012
      Hi All,

      I'm interested in making a micRo reboot ( as in bringing the machines back to life. ).  I'd like to make the micRo m3 something people can self-source and build on their own.  I wrote up a long post on my website about it, and I could use a bunch of help in making it so.  Would you all take a gander at the long post, and see what can be done?  I've laid out a couple of options on how to get the blocks made, listed a BOM that I've figured out from reverse engineering internet pictures, etc...  I also have an OpenSCAD file with what I think the M3 motor stanchion block is ( and I think I'm wrong -- I assumed that it's 2"x2"x5" in size.  I think it may be 2.5" x 2.5" x 6.25".  I used the Nema-17 motor as a reference, and I think now maybe the motor is a Nema-23? ), but I don'tknow where to put it, since it is incomplete  ( aka a work in progress. ).

      Here's the long post link: http://peerbhairobotics.com/micro-reboot/

      Thanks,
      Imran
    • Martijn Kuipers

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2012
          Yup. That's how I figured out that my block size is in error. I had guessed 2"x2"x5" from internet pictures, and the drawing pictures in the files sections says 2.5" x 6.35"( but doesn't list one of the dimensions. )

          I also don't have Autocad, and illustrator doesn't do a great job importing the .DWG file -- so I can't quite read the text in the autocad file. I'll see if FreeCad does it any better.

          The drawings did answer my question of how large to make some of the holes, and gave me a better sense of what the sizes are. But I still don't know basic things -- is the M3 using a Nema-17 or nema-23 frame motor? If the block is 2.5" wide, a Nema-23 makes more sense, given the pictures of it taking almost the entire block width. It also makes sense given the CNC coupler is a 1/4" coupler, and Nema-23 motors have a 1/4" shaft. But I've seen docs saying it's a lin engineering nema-17 motor with a 5mm shaft.

          So the problem remains -- I have to clarify what I know, and get the information into a format I can use to attempt making the robot. I also have to simplify the design a little -- so I can actually make it without tools like a lathe. ( I have no idea how to get those lead screws stepped cheaply. Not to mention tapping the HDPE to 3/8-12 acme... )

          Thanks!

          --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Kuipers <martijn.kuipers@...> wrote:

          > Hi Imran,

          > The M3 is a based on the M2, so you will find many things are the same/similar.
          >
          > /Martijn
          >
          > On Sep 4, 2012, at 9:31 PM, ipeerbhai@... wrote:
          >
          > > Hi All,
          > >

          > > I'm interested in making a micRo reboot ( as in bringing the machines back to life. ). I'd like to make the micRo m3 something people can self-source and build on their own. I wrote up a long post on my website about it, and I could use a bunch of help in making it so. Would you all take a gander at the long post, and see what can be done? I've laid out a couple of options on how to get the blocks made, listed a BOM that I've figured out from reverse engineering internet pictures, etc... I also have an OpenSCAD file with what I think the M3 motor stanchion block is ( and I think I'm wrong -- I assumed that it's 2"x2"x5" in size. I think it may be 2.5" x 2.5" x 6.25". I used the Nema-17 motor as a reference, and I think now maybe the motor is a Nema-23? ), but I don'tknow where to put it, since it is incomplete ( aka a work in progress. ).
          > >
          > > Here's the long post link: http://peerbhairobotics.com/micro-reboot/
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Imran

        • Gerrit Visser
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2012

            Get a copy of Draftsight, it is a free clone. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/?xtor=SEC-6-GOO-[]-[old]-S-[draftsight]

            Gerrit

          • ipeerbhai@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2012
              As an aside -- I think I've figured out a way to make a modified micRo that is capable of making an actual micRo.

              1. Get the gantry blocks machined at a professional machine shop. I think this will cost about $50.00 per block, x 3 blocks, using US suppliers in qty 100, about $90/block in qty 10, and probably 200-500/block in qty 1. Group buy would be good here.

              2. Modify the Y gantry block to accept laser-cut delrin top and bottom mounts( almost there now -- the bottom design needs to be changed a little..

              3. change to 1/2"-10 acme lead screw or to 10mm or 12mm lead screw ( the metric screw can be ordered properly stepped from Misumi for about $30-$35/screw. ) I think Tacoma screw can do 1/2"-10 stepped screw at custom length for about $20/screw( based on a conversation with a salesman, but no official quote ). I'm worried metric tap acme will add cost to the machine blocks, but I don't know if Tac screw salesman knew what he was talking about...

              4. Use Misumi rail and laser-cut acrylic motor mounts and receivers on the Y axis.

              If the qty is near 100 for each block, then it should cost 150 for the blocks, and about another $150 in various parts. This machine would be part compatible with the micRo design, and could machine the micRo blocks.

              The current BOM of the micRo v3 without machining is around $450. This will increase the BOM to about $700, but asides from the 3 machined blocks, has no group buy components.

              Of course, this is all speculation at this point, based on quotes from MFG.com for a single block, part shopping Misumi, and brainstorming. I'd need to find 10 people ( or 100! ) who would be up to do this if I'll try this path. It doesn't work with less, as the machining costs become unaffordable.

              Anyone know a good cheap place to get stepped 3/8"-12 lead screw of the right lengths?

              Thanks!

              --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Gerrit Visser" <gerrit@...> wrote:

              > Get a copy of Draftsight, it is a free clone.
              > http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/?xtor=SEC-6-GOO-[
              > ]-[old]-S-[draftsight]
              > <http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/?xtor=SEC-6-GOO-
              > %5b%5d-%5bold%5d-S-%5bdraftsight%5d>
              >

              > Gerrit

            • robin turner
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2012
                If you were going to 1/2-10 acme, I'd consider increasing the motor size.  Going to a larger screw might have advantages as far as machining the taps and the screws, but...  screw resonance wasn't a real issue for the micRo, and going to a larger size will make it harder to drive- especially if you're decreasing the TPI.  As far as tapping is concerned, a decent machine shop won't blink at acme vs. trapezoidal screw.  They have thread mills that'll make nearly any thread as well as an arsenal of taps.  The expensive part will be if they want you to buy a thread gage for it.  Also- most machine shops will either pitch a fit at the idea of turning down the ends of a screw, or will ask for large setup fees with caveats about their tolerances (or not ask, and include them in your pricing).

                Keep in mind, and I'm saying this without knowing your exact design intentions, any laser-cut part is going to have a cut-edge which is not perpendicular with the face of the piece.  Also, acrylic sheet isn't particularly flat or rigid, so you'll need to design around this.  It's worth noting that plastic sheet/plate usually has between a 5% and 10% tolerance within a single sheet- so don't trust the stock material to be flat or for the nominal size to match the actual size.

                If you're going to keep with the integral bearings (that is, that the bearings/bushings are machined into the monolithic block), and have a machine shop do it, you should give them samples of whatever linear guide rail you'll be using, so they can get the fit right.  If you give them a dimension and a tolerance, they will follow it regardless of whether it's right or not.

                good luck

                --
                Robin Turner
                Design Engineer