Re: RTAPI ERROR

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
      1cm diff on the X ways???????????????? Hunh??????????

      Talk to the Beach Boys about this. They may be able to help. :^)

      --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

      > Watch out for vibrations.
      >
      > As I was milling large circular holes in some 3mm alu front panels today, the toolblock started to vibrate, probably because of a worn 1/4" end mill.
      >
      > The vibrations locked up one of the X blocks so the screw stuck momentarily.
      >
      > I had to re tram it and saw almsot 1cm diff on the X ways.
      >
      > Solution, avoid worn bits.
      >
      > danand

    • Gerrit Visser
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012

        Hi Dan,

        What is that keeps moving in these situations? This is why I believe in pinning things in place after alignment, not relying on friction.......

        Gerrit

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
          The piece of alu is still perfectly in place. I'm using
          fixtures when I mill now. It makes better repeatability and I can easily re set x0 and y0 with the G38.2 probe command.

          I actually took some time aread a book about fixtures...

          During the vibrations, the x screws didn't rotate as usual in the x blocks. So the stepper lost positioning.

          I get decent friction and I have a bottle of spray on stick glue... Things doesn't move unless I want it or allow it.

          I have to mill some more enclosure part tomorrow so I'll investigate further.

          I'm builing a couple of Bruene Power bridges. One RF Power meter to 500W and one to 2kW. I have a nice recipe or concept to make very nice boxes in aluminium. Very little milling and no cutting.

          //danand