Re: [micRo-cnc] Micro V-2 Repair

  • robin turner
    Message 1 of 27 , May 30, 2012
      Hey guys-
        I made what files I have available to Martijn, if you have a gmail account- feel free to send me a message and I'll share my files.  I only ask that you only share with other micRo users, and that you don't commercialize the design (making and selling replacement parts, and recouping your time/money is ok by me, as long as you don't go into the micRo making business).

      Unfortunately, I don't have much as far as V3/V3.5/V4 stuff, since those were mostly designed within g-code and/or pencil/paper..

      cheers

      On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Martijn Kuipers <martijn.kuipers@...> wrote:

      Dear Robin,

      Nice to have you on board. As I see your name on the sheets of drawings we do have from the micro, I wanted to ask if you know if there is a complete set publicly available. At the moment I am redoing them, but first I need to finish some deadlines at work, but it is not forgotten.

      The design of the micRo is really awesome (to look at) at seems to offer one of the best accuracies (for its price range). So whatever was your take in that, thanks.

      We has the discussion before and out of curiosity (more than anything else), did LumenLab finally sink? Is Grayson doing better (health-wise as I doubt he will change his modus of operandi regarding his businesses).

      /Martijn

      On May 30, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Dan Andersson wrote:

      On Tue, 29 May 2012 21:18:27 -0400
      robin turner <rohabeen@...> wrote:

      > In defense of Lumenlab, when we tested the hand-held grinders, the Fordom had significant run-out from day one.  The Wecheer spindles had better bearings from what we saw.  Sorry yours sucked.  There are a dozen reasons why LL failed, but using Chinese components  (or Taiwanese, in the case of the spindle) was maybe 10th.  Another good example would be the driver boards...  The original driver boards we offered, PCB design by Sparkfun, chip by Allegro (Colorado and Massachusetts companies respectively) had a near 50% failure rate when used as intended.  But hey, at least the sparkfun boards were cheap.  The Toshiba-based boards had close to a 1% failure rate in the end (typically there would be a bad opto-coupler chip).

      Hi Robin,

      Well, I have the reversed experience from the Wecheer and the Foredom spindles.

      The worst of the spindles was/is the Jacobs chuck spindle. It's probne to developng a bent axis and the bearings was the cheapest Chinese one could find.

      With new SKF bearings, the chuck could be used for low rpm and low accuracy jobs.

      The worst thing with the Wecheer is the collets. It's a very good design but I have only managed to fiond 3 imperial sizes. I had a set of metric and imperial collets made for me at a high accuracy workshop ( Volvo Cars :) so I solved that.

      I don't agree with the note on the bearings tho'. The Foredom spindle is excellent and the Wecheer really needed new SKF bearings.

      But a real disaster is the different diameter of the Foredoms 1" and the Wecheer 0.9".
      I can't but guess how many broken tool holders this will cause.

      Even the SKF bearings takes a lot of punishment and needs to be replaced on a regular basis. They are really cheap so that is not to bad.

      To the Wecheer chuck's defense, the Foredom has a terrible axial tolerance. It must be shimmed properly to eliminate. The Wecheer doesn't show this problem.

      To LL's defense, the solution with a low mass sp;indle and the wheight relocate to a motor with the drive shaft feels better than most other solutions with heavy spindles mounted directly on the Z block.

      //Cheers

      danand

      --
      Robin Turner
      Design Engineer

    • mikauvalley
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 8, 2012
        Hi Robin:
        Do you know where I can get a replacement flexible shaft couplers that were used on the micRo.
        They are 5mm x 6mm, 18mm OD x 20 mm long.
        Mikau