Re: New files uploaded to micRo-cnc

  • sf648
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 5, 2011
      > > I can't rely on LL to ship any damaged parts within a week or so :(
      > >
      > > The tool holder is especially important as that will be the first to go in case of an opps!

      I can confirm that there needn't even be an oops. My v3 tool holder is starting to crack at one of the clamping screws from just use (and tool changes I'm sure).

      > As for the tool holder, I never liked the newer combined Z block tool holder. Too many folks had their split, and you are locked into one size hand piece. The original design at least left the z block alone and you could bolt on what you needed. I put brass screw inserts in my Z block so I can change the tool holder when needed.

      I wonder if it's worth us putting together our own design for a new tool holder and looking into getting a few machined.
    • llamatrails_cnc
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 5, 2011
        --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, "sf648" <sandro.fouche@...> wrote:

        > > > I can't rely on LL to ship any damaged parts within a week or so :(
        > > >
        > > > The tool holder is especially important as that will be the first to go in case of an opps!
        >
        > I can confirm that there needn't even be an oops. My v3 tool holder is starting to crack at one of the clamping screws from just use (and tool changes I'm sure).
        >

        > > As for the tool holder, I never liked the newer combined Z block tool holder. Too many folks had their split, and you are locked into one size hand piece. The original design at least left the z block alone and you could bolt on what you needed. I put brass screw inserts in my Z block so I can change the tool holder when needed.
        >
        > I wonder if it's worth us putting together our own design for a new tool holder and looking into getting a few machined.

        Exactly why I feel that HDPE is the wrong material for a tool holder. While it is excellent for sliding on the rails, it sucks for tensile strength.

        My solution of placing the brass inserts has its' issues, too. If I tighten the attached tool holder too much, it might crack the Z rail block. The inserts pull in the HDPE can also distort the Z rail block and I sense more tension on the rails as they bind. If there was room behind the Z rail blocks, I would have a plate to distribute the pressure across the entire width.

        Basically, an entire redesign of the Z axis is needed. Just one of the limitations of the micRo to learn to live with. The micRo has been a great starter cnc robot for me, I've learned a heck of a lot.
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 5, 2011
          Let us put togerher a design first.

          It would be embarassing bordering to shameful if we couldn't make the new holder ourselves :)

          //Danand

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 5, 2011
            --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

            > Let us put togerher a design first.
            >
            > It would be embarassing bordering to shameful if we couldn't make the new holder ourselves :)
            >
            > //Danand

            Haven't researched the prices, but these guys use PTFE on their bearings to provide the same qualities as LL did when designing their HDPE bearing blocks: http://rst.pbclinear.com/RST/roundshafttechnology.htm

            Maybe have a mounting plate span the Z rails with their Simplicity precision sleeve linear plain bearings riding the rails.

            Rick
          • bookmark13
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 8, 2011
              Hey Guys,

              MJW here from the forums.

              I had a V1 that I sold shortly after I got it to upgrade to the larger M3, still waiting for it but that's another story, I liked the fact you could easily reconfigure/change the tool holder but it was not easy and the design was not very rigid. I though about having it made/making it in Aluminum but sold the bot before I even used it.

              Since I can no longer wait for my Micro as I need it for business I have purchased another machine. It is much larger and the Z plate is drilled and tapped and most people are using a router or dremel type tool or even a water cooled spindle. I want to use a foredom hand-piece so I have enlisted the help of Durachko to design (I am not fluent in 3d CAD)and machine one. It is basically an inverted "T" that attaches to a separate Z plate very simple and should be rigid enough to use it to make one out of Aluminum once the machine is built.

              Mark

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 8, 2011
                Hiya,

                Sorry to hesar about your "upgrade".

                Tool Holder

                One very important factor to take into account is: what if things go wrong and we need something cheap to break, instead of killing something expensive.

                Running a CNC machine will occasionally end in a rather loud Oopps!

                It is important to design in "breakage points", intentionally weak parts of the holder to save the rest of the bot if thing go eeek.

                I know! I'm on very dangerous ground when I try to circumvent Murphy! But I still think it's a good idea.

                //danand

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 12, 2011
                  --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

                  > One very important factor to take into account is: what if things go wrong and we need something cheap to break, instead of killing something expensive.
                  >
                  > Running a CNC machine will occasionally end in a rather loud Oopps!
                  >
                  > It is important to design in "breakage points", intentionally weak parts of the holder to save the rest of the bot if thing go eeek.

                  Good point Danand. I wonder if it would be possible to design a tool holder with nylon nuts and bolts fastening it to the z-axis. That way we can have a rigid z, rigid tool holder, and when things go awry we just shear the nylon fasteners.

                  PS: Anyone know how long the forums at LL have been down? Are they doing actual maintenance, or have they just given up listening to us plead for feedback?
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 12, 2011
                    > Good point Danand. I wonder if it would be possible to design a tool holder with nylon nuts and bolts fastening it to the z-axis. That way we can have a rigid z, rigid tool holder, and when things go awry we just shear the nylon fasteners.
                    >
                    > PS: Anyone know how long the forums at LL have been down? Are they doing actual maintenance, or have they just given up listening to us plead for feedback?

                    I looked at the forum earlier today ( Monday ) and it was operational. So I assume it's just maintenance unless something dramatic happened.

                    Nylon nuts are flexible, maybe not a good idea.

                    One solution could be to introduce friction couplings at the motors.

                    Another solution is to force a shutdown at a defined level of current surge on the motor supply.
                    It's reasonably simple to make. Also, looking at the power consumption of the spindle motor. If any of these two events occur, a quick shutdown is performed. Maybe using a limit switch function plus a relay for the spindle motor.

                    The simplest way to achieve this is to place - say a 0.01 Ohms Resistor in series with any of the two supplies, measure the voltage over the resistor and trigger a couple of relays and trigger the XY and Z limit at the same time for a complete stop. Using relays would keep the contraption physcally isolated from the computer ( like an optocoupler ).

                    Just a thought...

                    //danand
                  • micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 19, 2011
                      Hello,

                      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                      group.

                      File : /tool-holder.txt
                      Uploaded by : llamatrails_cnc <rcalder@...>
                      Description : Tool holder specs

                      You can access this file at the URL:

                      Regards,

                      llamatrails_cnc <rcalder@...>
                    • micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 19, 2011
                        Hello,

                        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                        group.

                        File : /switching-ps.txt
                        Uploaded by : llamatrails_cnc <rcalder@...>
                        Description : G540: using switching power supplies

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 15, 2012
                          Hello,

                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                          group.

                          File : /v1 wiring.pdf
                          Uploaded by : stevefair69 <stevefair@...>
                          Description : V1 wiring

                          You can access this file at the URL:

                          Regards,

                          stevefair69 <stevefair@...>
                        • davetypeguy2000
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 16, 2012
                            Awesome! Thank you so much for this. It answers a few questions I hadn't figured out 100%.

                          • micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 9, 2012
                              Hello,

                              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                              group.

                              File : /pdf of lumenlab forum/swap your x,y coordinates in EMC2.pdf
                              Uploaded by : stevefair69 <stevefair@...>
                              Description : swap x and y

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 20, 2012
                                Hello,

                                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                                group.

                                File : /Micro-CNC BOM.pdf
                                Uploaded by : sf648 <sandro.fouche@...>
                                Description : Inventory and Prices for Micro parts

                                sf648 <sandro.fouche@...>
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 1, 2012
                                  So,

                                  I'm dead... The Wife has discovered that I can make small spare parts to our house and domestic appliances...

                                  I'm suddenly finding myself in the Shower cabin Spare Parts business - dooh!

                                  It's nice to have an open fram 19" mill!

                                  But to be honest, the micRO saved me 500$ buying a new shower cabin!

                                  ///

                                  Runout

                                  I found ( yet ) another source of the runout I've been battling with.

                                  I mounted the WeCheer collet spindle instwead of the Foredom 44T today.

                                  The larger 44T presents a substantial runout but when I mounted the Wecheer, It all improved. ( I do have SKF bearings in the Wecheer! ).

                                  The 1.0" Foredom doesn't sit right in my LL original 0.9" tool holder. Hence the increased runout.

                                  I have now scheduled a plastinc ( HPDE ) order in 10 weeks and a new pair of reamer/drill + drill/ACME 12 TPI tap. The tap I have works but. cheap cheap cheap! I'm buying a proper
                                  one this time.

                                  I'm making a couple of "original" tool holders with 0.9" and 1" mounting holes.

                                  As this will be a "formal" production setup ( wow! 2 pcs... ) with fixtures and drawings, I might be able to make a couple extra at self cost if anyone is in a dire strait regarding tool holder.

                                  Let me know and we'll make a list on the group archive area.

                                  I'm getting increasingly paranoid over being able to bootstrap a bot if needed.

                                  I might make a complete set of spare plastics. At leas for my own shelves.

                                  LL "original 0.9" and 1" tool holder and Z blocks"? Please let me know in good time so I can get a decent price on HPDE.

                                  The HPDE prices in Euroland are extortion but the USPS kills anything bulky from the US anyway.

                                  //Danand
                                • Dan
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 1, 2012
                                    WHAT??? What the heck did you make?

                                    At this time I have no need for spare parts but that will undoubtedly change. When the time comes I'd be willing to ship you materials and cigars/booze (if Homeland Security allows! O.o) as well as a nice monetary stipend for your time and efforts in making my spare parts.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 1, 2012
                                      We have such hard water ( chalk ) in the UK that the guides or sliders for the folding shower doors cracked - after only 9 years :)

                                      And guess what, the manufacturer gone bust or at least vanished with no spares on the market. So, instead of having to replace the full monty, I'm making a couple of spare
                                      plastic parts - sving me from wastying money on a new shower qubicle.

                                      Money I can spend on booze!

                                      The cigar situation improved since last year. My daily ration of nicotine consists of
                                      home rolled cigars made out of Habano 2000 tobacco from my garden...

                                      The "proper" cigars comes out when it's time to mix boozer and smoke only... They are still expensive in the UK. Even the cheaper Honduran bundles are taxed to silliness here.

                                      The garden variety of Habano 2000 gives the cigars a kick I seldome get... Only Cohibas strength can match up a little bit... You can't but just sit quietly and enjoying yourself after half a home made cigar. The nicotine level is amazing. I can feel my finger tips "tingle" from the nicotinbe reaction - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! :)

                                      But! It's still legal here! ( For now at least )

                                      //danand

                                      On Tue, 01 May 2012 15:45:06 -0000
                                      "Dan" <DanDurachko@...> wrote:

                                      > WHAT??? What the heck did you make?
                                      >
                                      > At this time I have no need for spare parts but that will undoubtedly change. When the time comes I'd be willing to ship you materials and cigars/booze (if Homeland Security allows! O.o) as well as a nice monetary stipend for your time and efforts in making my spare parts.
                                      >
                                      > --- In micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > But to be honest, the micRO saved me 500$ buying a new shower cabin!

                                    • Gerrit Visser
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 1, 2012

                                        Wife’s uncle flies Amsterdam return from Edinburgh to get cigars. Gets enough to pay for the flight J

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 21, 2012
                                          Hello,

                                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                                          group.

                                          File : /micRo M2 drawings and pics/micRo_baseplate.jpg
                                          Uploaded by : llamatrails_cnc <rcalder@...>
                                          Description : micRo v1 and v1.1 baseplate template

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                                            Hello,

                                            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                                            group.

                                            File : /Front_Panel_Power_Meter.ngc
                                            Uploaded by : m0dfi <dan@...>
                                            Description : A Simple gcode file with the autocalibrate after toolchange included

                                            m0dfi <dan@...>
                                          • micRo-cnc@yahoogroups.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 17, 2012
                                              Hello,

                                              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                                              group.

                                              File : /microv2.pdf
                                              Uploaded by : martijn.kuipers <martijn.kuipers@...>
                                              Description : AutoCAD file of the micRo v2

                                              You can access this file at the URL:

                                              Regards,

                                              martijn.kuipers <martijn.kuipers@...>
                                            • Martijn Kuipers

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 20, 2012
                                                  Hello,

                                                  a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                                                  group.

                                                  File : /micRo-drawings.zip
                                                  Uploaded by : martijn.kuipers <martijn.kuipers@...>
                                                  Description : AutoCAD file of the micRo v2 (Only for micRo-cnc group use)): See Gcode -> Micro folder for all 18 drawings

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 9, 2012
                                                    Hello,

                                                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the micRo-cnc
                                                    group.

                                                    File : /Utilities/StickFont_Pack_1.zip
                                                    Uploaded by : therojecas <rojecas@...>
                                                    Description : some fonts ready to be used with stickfont

                                                    therojecas <rojecas@...>