Re: BIG NEWS FOR ME TODAY!!!

  • deborahdunseith
    Message 1 of 29 , May 4, 2012
      Debi way to go girl!!!!!

      Cheers from me!
      deb
      --- In mgb_mo@yahoogroups.com, DebiD1120@... wrote:

      > To My Wonderful Support Group!!!
      >
      > Today - 11 weeks since my surgery - I hit 199 pounds!!
      >
      > OMG! I have not been this weight since 1997!!
      >
      > This has been my first big hurdle!
      >
      > Thank you Dr. H and his FAB Staff!
      >
      > Debi
      > 253.2/199.0
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

    • jettkid1
      Message 2 of 29 , May 5, 2012
        Thank you all for your help! Twelve days away from surgery and I'm getting the happy jitters. I just told Facebook to prepare for my awesome, so I'm setting up 300 friends to watch me and make sure I don't screw up. Heh :) I'm looking at a lactose-free very low-carb protein supplement called Muscle Milk, but I'll be trying Syntha 6 if I can handle milk. I'll look up the Julian Michaels product, too :)

        For Stage One I'm just going to stick to the diet as prescribed without trying to push things along too fast. After that, I'll have a better idea of what my new stomach likes, and will add protein supplements to whatever protein I can get down and keep down. I'm hoping that if I can fill up on mostly protein and vitamins, the weight will come off in a healthy way. Fingers crossed :)

        --- In mgb_mo@yahoogroups.com, "deborahdunseith" <deborahdunseith@...> wrote:

        > I still worry about getting all of my protein in. I use the Julian Micheals protein powder with almond milk after I exercise. It isn't bad. I also try to eat a greek yogurt daily. I figure with these I am surly am getting the protein in. The protein shake was about the only
        > thing I could get down in the mornings early on. I know that Dr. would rather we get the protein from food but this is working for me and he said it was alright.
        >
        > Hope this helps. Don't be too concerned about protein in the early weeks. It is hard enough learning what you can and cannot tolerate early on. Good Luck
        > deb
        >

        > --- In mgb_mo@yahoogroups.com, "jettkid1" <julie.d.watts@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Yay, I'm scheduled for surgery May 17! That is, if my PCP will get his stuff done today. I'm in there this afternoon, so hopefully he will! :)
        > >
        > > I've been wondering about liquid protein or protein powder supplementation after surgery. I know that getting in all the protein necessary for wound healing might be difficult, and with the bypass portion, getting enough protein is going to be very important even after the initial healing.
        > >
        > > Do any of you use protein supplements? If so, what kind, and when did you begin using them? I want to try to get at least 80 grams of protein in a day after surgery. Obviously that won't happen in Stage One, but I want to retain muscle and lose fat in Stages Two and Three, and maybe even keep some hair :) I plan to ask Dr. H. at my clinic visit about using liquid protein in Stage One, in case he thinks it's a good or bad idea - so really I'm asking about later stages. Any thoughts?

      • Robin Cearnal
        Message 3 of 29 , May 5, 2012
          Julie, please listen to Dr. Hargroder and ask him before you try anything until you are about a month out or he okays it.  Also, remember your taste will change so something you "love" to eat or drink now, you may not like after the surgery.  P. S., you passed!

          Message 4 of 29 , May 5, 2012
            YAY I passed! Thanks, Robin :) And yes - I won't do anything until I talk with Dr. Hargroder - and nothing until he gives me his okay. I just like doing all my homework early, in case I need it later. I'm weird like that :)

            For stage one, I am sticking with Gatorade, broth, maybe v8 or tomato soup, goldfish crackers and yogurt (no chunky things except me.) :)

            Message 5 of 29 , May 5, 2012
              And it won't be long until you are not "chunky".  Luv ya.

              YAY I passed! Thanks, Robin :) And yes - I won't do anything until I talk with Dr. Hargroder - and nothing until he gives me his okay. I just like doing all my homework early, in case I need it later. I'm weird like that :)

              For stage one, I am sticking with Gatorade, broth, maybe v8 or tomato soup, goldfish crackers and yogurt (no chunky things except me.) :)

              --- In mgb_mo@yahoogroups.com, Robin Cearnal <robinjoplin@...> wrote:

              > Julie, please listen to Dr. Hargroder and ask him before you try anything until you are about a month out or he okays it.  Also, remember your taste will change so something you "love" to eat or drink now, you may not like after the surgery.  P. S., you passed!

            • Wade Bennett
              Message 6 of 29 , May 7, 2012
                Dry Tuna seems to be working out for me. It's one of the first things that I could digest well and it's loaded with protein. I also keep cheese snacks and almonds around. Down 60 lbs in 3 months.