The winning answer of Miss International

  • jaguar743
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2006
      The winning answer of Miss International ... Miss Philippines

      Alam na ninyo na nanalo ang Pilipinas sa Miss International! But
      what was most memorable about this event was the way she answered a
      sarcastic and a seemingly negative question about the Filipinos.
      Sana lahat ng mga kababayan natin ganito ang attitude [and sana
      equally quick at thinking on their feet -- JMR's comment].

      Quote:
      "Mabuhay! Representing the democratic and freedom-loving people of
      the Pearl of the Orient, I am PRECIOUS LARA QUIGAMAN, from the
      beautiful country of THE PHILIPPINES!"

      The question:
      "What do you say to the people of the world who have typecasted
      Filipinas as nannies?"

      The answer:
      "I take no offence on being typecasted as a nanny. But I do take
      offence that the educated people of the world have somehow
      denigrated the true sense and meaning of what a nanny is. Let me
      tell you what she is. She is someone who gives more than she
      takes. She is someone you trust to look after the very people most
      precious to you -- your child, the elderly, yourself. She is
      the one who has made a living out of caring for and loving other
      people. So to those who have typecasted us as nannies, thank you.
      It is a testament to the loving and caring culture of the Filipino
      people. And for that, I am forever proud and grateful of my roots
      and culture."

      End of quote