FW: American Atheists Legislative Alert - September 27, 2002

  • Shelly Hattan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2002
      AMERICAN ATHEISTS LEGISLATIVE ALERT
      September 27, 2002

      URGENT -- CONGRESS SCHEDULES VOTE ON CHURCH
      ELECTIONEERING BILL
      Capitol Hill Needs To Hear From Us Now!

      A vote in the US House of Representatives on the controversial
      "Houses of Worship Political Protection Act," HR 2357 is scheduled
      for this Tuesday, October 1, 2002.

      This bill would change the IRS code, and permit churches and other
      houses of worship to engage in blatant political campaigns --
      everything from raising money for candidates, to handing out
      endorsements and lobbying. It would continue the dangerous trend of
      turning pulpits into partisan political podiums.

      * Congress needs to hear from us NOW on this important First
      Amendment issue! Visit our Legislative Action page at
      http://www.atheists.org/action and find out how you can contact your
      elected representative. Get background and "talking points" on HR
      2357.

      * Make your communications count! We urge you to send faxes or
      Priority Mail letters, or make personal phone calls. E-mail, while
      convenient, does not have the same impact on Capitol Hill. Visit
      http://www.atheists.org/action for more.

      HELP US DEFEAT HR 2357!