SOAR Fundraisers To Shine a Spotlight On Local Art Rock Scene

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2012
      Nine years after the Society of Art Rock (SOAR) was formed by five individuals sharing a common love of non-commercial music that mixes elements of classical, jazz, and contemporary rock styles into a musical form called Art Rock, the now nearly 200 member organization is holding two fundraising concerts that highlight the creativity and diversity of bands stretching from New Jersey to Northern Virginia.

      For the first show on Saturday November 3 at 7PM, SOAR will feature Ephemeral Sun (NoVA), 3RDegree (NJ) and Shadow Circus (NJ). Admission to this all ages show is $20.

      Two weeks later on Saturday November 17 at 7PM, SOAR presents Prophet Code (MD), Zero Mercury (DC) and Kabob-O-taj (DC/MD). Admission to this all ages show is $15.

      Both shows will be held at Orion Sound Studios, 2903 Whittington Ave., Suite C
      Baltimore, Md. 21230

      Ephemeral Sun (http://www.ephemeralsun.com), are a perennial SOAR favorite, and for good reason. Their 2010 release Harvest Aorta "...is one of the most pleasing bodies of art rock to pass this way for a long time, and will doubtlessly feature on a majority of the 'Best-of-2010' lists. And it just might require a crow bar to get it out of the CD player."
      - Duncan Glenday, SEA OF TRANQUILITY

      3RDegree (http://www.3rdegreeonline.com) recently released The Long Division: "...with this record, 3rdegree have cemented their position at the cutting edge of American symphonic progressive rock music...Tremendous stuff. I'll never tire of this record. 9 out of 10". Brian Watson, DPRP.NET

      Shadow Circus (http://www.shadowcircusmusic.com/) recently signed with 10T records for the release of their upcoming full length concept CD, entitled On a Dark and Stormy Night, a progressive rock tour-de-force that finds the band's creative scope widening, including elements of cinematic orchestral arrangements, classic Progressive Rock, Celtic music, and Metal.

      Prophet Code (http://www.facebook.com/ProphetCode) is a new all originals progressive rock band that includes past and present members of Iluvatar.

      Zero Mercury (http://www.facebook.com/ZeroMercuryMusic) is a highly improvisational heavy progressive rock group playing what could loosely be described as "space rock". They are currently working on a full-length CD called The Awakening.

      Kabob-O-taj (http://www.kabobotaj.com) breaches genre barriers without so much as a backward glance, and creates a diverse musical landscape sculpted through passion, improvisation and an unbreakable bedrock of musical understanding. With a unique blend of rock, reggae, funk, jazz, metal, and even classical influences, they produce an experimental sound that straddles a line between mellow and maniacal.

      SOAR thanks all of these bands for donating their time and energies to help us continue spreading the Art Rock sound. The Society of Art Rock, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit educational organization, was established in 2004 to advance the education of non-commercial music that mixes elements of classical, jazz, and contemporary rock styles into a musical form called Art Rock. Further information on SOAR is available at: www.dc-soar.org.
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2012
        Have edited post below to reflect that fact that one band dropped out and price for the 11/3 show was adjusted to reflect that.

        Tom

        --- In metromusicscene@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_hudon@...> wrote:

        > Nine years after the Society of Art Rock (SOAR) was formed by five individuals sharing a common love of non-commercial music that mixes elements of classical, jazz, and contemporary rock styles into a musical form called Art Rock, the now nearly 200 member organization is holding two fundraising concerts that highlight the creativity and diversity of bands stretching from New Jersey to Northern Virginia.
        >
        > For the first show on Saturday November 3 at 7PM, SOAR will feature Ephemeral Sun (NoVA) and Shadow Circus (NJ). Admission to this all ages show is $15.
        >
        > Two weeks later on Saturday November 17 at 7PM, SOAR presents Prophet Code (MD), Zero Mercury (DC) and Kabob-O-taj (DC/MD). Admission to this all ages show is $15.
        >
        > Both shows will be held at Orion Sound Studios, 2903 Whittington Ave., Suite C
        > Baltimore, Md. 21230
        >
        > Ephemeral Sun (http://www.ephemeralsun.com), are a perennial SOAR favorite, and for good reason. Their 2010 release Harvest Aorta "...is one of the most pleasing bodies of art rock to pass this way for a long time, and will doubtlessly feature on a majority of the 'Best-of-2010' lists. And it just might require a crow bar to get it out of the CD player."
        > - Duncan Glenday, SEA OF TRANQUILITY
        >
        > Shadow Circus (http://www.shadowcircusmusic.com/) recently signed with 10T records for the release of their upcoming full length concept CD, entitled On a Dark and Stormy Night, a progressive rock tour-de-force that finds the band's creative scope widening, including elements of cinematic orchestral arrangements, classic Progressive Rock, Celtic music, and Metal.
        >
        > Prophet Code (http://www.facebook.com/ProphetCode) is a new all originals progressive rock band that includes past and present members of Iluvatar.
        >
        > Zero Mercury (http://www.facebook.com/ZeroMercuryMusic) is a highly improvisational heavy progressive rock group playing what could loosely be described as "space rock". They are currently working on a full-length CD called The Awakening.
        >
        > Kabob-O-taj (http://www.kabobotaj.com) breaches genre barriers without so much as a backward glance, and creates a diverse musical landscape sculpted through passion, improvisation and an unbreakable bedrock of musical understanding. With a unique blend of rock, reggae, funk, jazz, metal, and even classical influences, they produce an experimental sound that straddles a line between mellow and maniacal.
        >
        > SOAR thanks all of these bands for donating their time and energies to help us continue spreading the Art Rock sound. The Society of Art Rock, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit educational organization, was established in 2004 to advance the education of non-commercial music that mixes elements of classical, jazz, and contemporary rock styles into a musical form called Art Rock. Further information on SOAR is available at: www.dc-soar.org.

      • C Durfor
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2012
          Just saw Jethro Tull performing Thick as a Brick.  Fabulous!   Do not miss an opportunity to see this tour!

          Sent from my iPod